Surprise! Developer cancels plans to build an outlet shopping center at Rentschler Field | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Surprise! Developer cancels plans to build an outlet shopping center at Rentschler Field

Reaction Score
You're exactly right. My tastes are strange, I want to live in Chattanoota, Roanoke area, or Western NC. Not sure that's in play with the misses

We just bought a second home, 3 acres with two residences on it in Southwestern Virginia (Grayson County), 2 miles north of the North Carolina border in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

West Jefferson, NC (Ashe County) is the nearest town (15 miles). Boone, NC is 45 minutes away, with Bristol, VA a hour and half drive and with Winston-Salem and Greensboro about 2 1/2 hours.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
It can be depressing living in Connecticut. This project canceled; only one developer submitted a bid to develop the area around Dunkin' Donuts Park; XL Center needs MAJOR renovation or CT needs a new arena entirely (neither of which likely to happen anytime soon), etc. Throw in the current state of the FB and MBB programs, and it's tough to look at the glass as being half full.

The sarcasm in huskymedic's headlinle is loud and clear - it is no surprise this got canceled! It is just appalling how poorly Connecticut has been run for the past 30+ years!
We owe it all to governor stutterface

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Hartford/central CT like many locations in the north have been unable to reposition themselves in a world where people are migrating largely to four types of areas: A) metro areas of large cultural center cities (Boston, NYC, Washington, LA, San Fran), B) metro areas of small cultural cities (Austin, Portland, Nashville) with warmer weather, C) metro areas of large warm weather cities big enough to support a couple pro teams (Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc) and D) outdoor/active cities (Salt Lake, Denver, Seattle). If I had to throw another one out there it would be energy cities: Houston and Dallas, but really those are cultural cities in my book.

Hartford/central CT needs to two prong attack - find a way to become part of group B and reinvigorate its historic position as fall back place for when businesses/people have fatigue/growing pains in NYC and Boston.
Yes! Hartford could be great. I was up in Portland, ME, a few months ago and had a blast although froze my rear off. It's like the Brooklyn of New England. Hartford is depressing.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We just bought a second home, 3 acres with two residences on it in Southwestern Virginia (Grayson County), 2 miles north of the North Carolina border in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

West Jefferson, NC (Ashe County) is the nearest town (15 miles). Boone, NC is 45 minutes away, with Bristol, VA a hour and half drive and with Winston-Salem and Greensboro about 2 1/2 hours.

That's awesome! Beautiful area, huh? What brought you out there? Are you an avid hiker or enjoy other outdoors activities? Or just like the quiet? Very cool. PM me, I'd love to ask more about it!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
There has been zero points since 2009 that Outlet malls would work in New England - either locationally, competitively or against increased Internet. They just are not building more of these. The retail space in Germany - a thriving economy is 5 times less than the US of A. Yes, a sector to take your money out of.

What? There is an outlet mall one exit from me in Massachusetts that is mobbed at all times. The highway backs up as people get off at that exit. Europeans fly in just to shop there...literally.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Have Yale and UConn in the same state but have no industry it's truly an incredible feat.

If we could do one thing, and it would be expensive, it'd be to offer to eliminate student loans for all Yale students who will commit to staying in CT for like five years after graduation. Guarantee things would change quickly. It'd never happen because the legislature would never subsidize private education in that way, but it would work wonders for creating industry in CT.

Reaction Score
What? There is an outlet mall one exit from me in Massachusetts that is mobbed at all times. The highway backs up as people get off at that exit. Europeans fly in just to shop there...literally.

Wrentham?

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
If we could do one thing, and it would be expensive, it'd be to offer to eliminate student loans for all Yale students who will commit to staying in CT for like five years after graduation. Guarantee things would change quickly. It'd never happen because the legislature would never subsidize private education in that way, but it would work wonders for creating industry in CT.

I'm a couple years older than you and my gf is in med school and the thought of her getting a residency at yale is straight up depressing.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I'm a couple years older than you and my gf is in med school and the thought of her getting a residency at yale is straight up depressing.

Really? I like New Haven a lot. It's by far the best city in CT. Do you live there now?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I live in Boston. Getting a job in CT wouldn't be easy at all. New Haven is a nice area now.

Where's your gf in med school? What specialty she looking to get into?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Why only Yale? most of these kids are not industry related and if so ready to join family business out of state
Medical folks want to head to the big cities to practice their expertise - unfortunately NYC and Boston are just too close
CT needs a shot of manufacturing in their blood and/or to create a silicon valley atmosphere
In addition - five years will do the state very little
I understand what you are trying to get at
Maybe paying back student loan values to any student who went to a CT based college and created a business that employs X amount of people and have exhibited a certain level of revenue/percentage of growth over a certain period of time. There are plenty of folks who go to UConn, any 4 yr state school, Trinity, etc that can benefit the state.
Again, I understand what you are getting at but not only Yale have smart, eager and capable grads

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Why only Yale? most of these kids are not industry related and if so ready to join family business out of state
Medical folks want to head to the big cities to practice their expertise - unfortunately NYC and Boston are just too close
CT needs a shot of manufacturing in their blood and/or to create a silicon valley atmosphere
In addition - five years will do the state very little
I understand what you are trying to get at
Maybe paying back student loan values to any student who went to a CT based college and created a business that employs X amount of people and have exhibited a certain level of revenue/percentage of growth over a certain period of time. There are plenty of folks who go to UConn, any 4 yr state school, Trinity, etc that can benefit the state.
Again, I understand what you are getting at but not only Yale have smart, eager and capable grads

I hear you. My worry is that if we say "all UConn grads who stay in CT," thats a ton of people who are already staying in CT, so it doesn't create as much change. I also went to UConn and I respect its value, but there is a huge range of intelligence and talent there. There are some people who go through UConn that are absolutely brilliant, and some who are not smart at all, and who I don't think it would be worth investing in. My opinion (which may be wrong) is that schools like Yale don't have that same wide range in its students abilities. You make a good point in regards to giving to folks who show some sort of quantitative metric for improving the state economy, but it would have to be more broad than something that fits only entrepreneurs. Doctors, lawyers, engineers are just some folks who would be unlikely candidates to start a business, but whose value is very high. That makes me wonder if maybe GPA or test scores could be a determining factor, as the program would only attract people to stay in state if they guarantee the loans paid back, and less folks would be willing to take a gamble that they would start a successful business and then guarantee getting loans paid for (not sure if that wording makes sense). Basically, I'm trying to say that you'd need to find a way to secure the repayment program before people even entered the work force to get large numbers to agree to it, and that in it of itself would mean that we can't use metrics like how many folks you employ, etc. It would be difficult to figure out the particulars, but like others have noted, Boston tech succeeds because of Harvard and MIT, so it's important to keep Yale folks in CT to do the same.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I hear you. My worry is that if we say "all UConn grads who stay in CT," thats a ton of people who are already staying in CT, so it doesn't create as much change. I also went to UConn and I respect its value, but there is a huge range of intelligence and talent there. There are some people who go through UConn that are absolutely brilliant, and some who are not smart at all, and who I don't think it would be worth investing in. My opinion (which may be wrong) is that schools like Yale don't have that same wide range in its students abilities. You make a good point in regards to giving to folks who show some sort of quantitative metric for improving the state economy, but it would have to be more broad than something that fits only entrepreneurs. Doctors, lawyers, engineers are just some folks who would be unlikely candidates to start a business, but whose value is very high. That makes me wonder if maybe GPA or test scores could be a determining factor, as the program would only attract people to stay in state if they guarantee the loans paid back, and less folks would be willing to take a gamble that they would start a successful business and then guarantee getting loans paid for (not sure if that wording makes sense). Basically, I'm trying to say that you'd need to find a way to secure the repayment program before people even entered the work force to get large numbers to agree to it, and that in it of itself would mean that we can't use metrics like how many folks you employ, etc. It would be difficult to figure out the particulars, but like others have noted, Boston tech succeeds because of Harvard and MIT, so it's important to keep Yale folks in CT to do the same.

It's really Cambridge as a suburb of Boston really makes it easy for students to stay though, they invested heavily into the areas. Originally people were graduating Harvard/MIT and going to work in the Valley or NYC and now they are staying in Cambridge and companies are falling over themselves to keep moving jobs into the area.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

Here's an idea that doesn't discriminate by class or educational achievement - yet rewards the creators: zero out the CT income tax for companies with less than 2MM in revenues and stream line workers comp, the small biz regs (excessive licensing, permitting) and prune back the state mandated HR minefield (paid family leave, etc, etc) for those with less than 30 instate employees.

Okay - thats enough from me on this...for now.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Here's an idea that doesn't discriminate by class or educational achievement - yet rewards the creators: zero out the CT income tax for companies with less than 2MM in revenues and stream line workers comp, the small biz regs (excessive licensing, permitting) and prune back the state mandated HR minefield (paid family leave, etc, etc) for those with less than 30 instate employees.

Okay - thats enough from me on this...for now.

That's a good idea. I'm not the type who supports little to no corporate income tax with large companies like Travelers, but this would be interesting

Reaction Score

I'd rather kill myself than move there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom