Surprise! Developer cancels plans to build an outlet shopping center at Rentschler Field | The Boneyard

Surprise! Developer cancels plans to build an outlet shopping center at Rentschler Field

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Um, hasn't this been cancelled six times now already? I know - you are just reporting and all that - so not directed at you Huskymedic.

Reaction Score
There has been zero points since 2009 that Outlet malls would work in New England - either locationally, competitively or against increased Internet. They just are not building more of these. The retail space in Germany - a thriving economy is 5 times less than the US of A. Yes, a sector to take your money out of.

Reaction Score
Hate to see my home state struggling economically like this, but I sure am glad I got the hell out.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This isnt about economics, it is about competence and poor execution.

If it were about economics you would see it in the rest of the building industry.

You have a large parcel of land next to two highways and a major city. If you can't make that work, you are in the wrong business.

The proof will be in how long it takes to find another developer. It shouldn't take long.

Reaction Score
Moved from CT to Boston two years ago. I love my home state but the shear number of cranes I see on a daily basis compared to greater Hartford tells the real story. Unfortunately, Weicker and company started the long downhill slide when CT gave up its one competitive advantage - an educated workforce in an area much cheaper to do business. It's sad and in many ways unrecoverable in the knowledge-based economy. Stand in line at Bradley for a flight and then in line at Logan and do a quick calculation on average age. That's my other litmus test besides the cranes. If average age is older than me, that's bad...since I'm OAF

Reaction Score
Brick and mortar retail business is in serious danger. Nobody's building retail in Boston. They're building tech-heavy stuff which is anchored by MIT and all the other schools.

If CT is going to adapt and change and grow, it's not going to be with open air malls.

It sucks but it's hardly a surprise. Malls are closing. People basically buy everything from Amazon now.

CT has plenty of smart, talented people who are trying to make things better. I know a ton of brilliant people in New Haven who are working hard to make things better for everyone.

NYC and Boston are great, but totally unaffordable for huge portions of the population. And it's not getting any cheaper. If CT actually spends time and money to rebuild their cities, and actually provides culture and things to do for young people, who knows.

I'm not ready to write off CT forever quite yet.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Moved from CT to Boston two years ago. I love my home state but the shear number of cranes I see on a daily basis compared to greater Hartford tells the real story. Unfortunately, Weicker and company started the long downhill slide when CT gave up its one competitive advantage - an educated workforce in an area much cheaper to do business. It's sad and in many ways unrecoverable in the knowledge-based economy. Stand in line at Bradley for a flight and then in line at Logan and do a quick calculation on average age. That's my other litmus test besides the cranes. If average age is older than me, that's bad...since I'm OAF

Hartford/central CT like many locations in the north have been unable to reposition themselves in a world where people are migrating largely to four types of areas: A) metro areas of large cultural center cities (Boston, NYC, Washington, LA, San Fran), B) metro areas of small cultural cities (Austin, Portland, Nashville) with warmer weather, C) metro areas of large warm weather cities big enough to support a couple pro teams (Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc) and D) outdoor/active cities (Salt Lake, Denver, Seattle). If I had to throw another one out there it would be energy cities: Houston and Dallas, but really those are cultural cities in my book.

Hartford/central CT needs to two prong attack - find a way to become part of group B and reinvigorate its historic position as fall back place for when businesses/people have fatigue/growing pains in NYC and Boston.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hartford/central CT like many locations in the north have been unable to reposition themselves in a world where people are migrating largely to four types of areas: A) metro areas of large cultural center cities (Boston, NYC, Washington, LA, San Fran), B) metro areas of small cultural cities (Austin, Portland, Nashville) with warmer weather, C) metro areas of large warm weather cities big enough to support a couple pro teams (Miami, Tampa, Atlanta, Charlotte, Phoenix, etc) and D) outdoor/active cities (Salt Lake, Denver, Seattle). If I had to throw another one out there it would be energy cities: Houston and Dallas, but really those are cultural cities in my book.

Hartford/central CT needs to two prong attack - find a way to become part of group B and reinvigorate its historic position as fall back place for when businesses/people have fatigue/growing pains in NYC and Boston.
You hit the nail on the head. Im 24, grad student, and will almost 100% live in a city either defined by B or D. Cheaper and way much more to do

Reaction Score

Spot on....nothing to add

Reaction Score
Brick and mortar retail business is in serious danger. Nobody's building retail in Boston. They're building tech-heavy stuff which is anchored by MIT and all the other schools.

If CT is going to adapt and change and grow, it's not going to be with open air malls.

It sucks but it's hardly a surprise. Malls are closing. People basically buy everything from Amazon now.

CT has plenty of smart, talented people who are trying to make things better. I know a ton of brilliant people in New Haven who are working hard to make things better for everyone.

NYC and Boston are great, but totally unaffordable for huge portions of the population. And it's not getting any cheaper. If CT actually spends time and money to rebuild their cities, and actually provides culture and things to do for young people, who knows.

I'm not ready to write off CT forever quite yet.
Loop - appreciate your passion. One anecdote. In 1990 I was named to a Business-led commission to 'attract and retain young professionals'. While I have long grown out of that demographic, from time to time I see similar efforts come and go - Metro Hartford Alliance, Rising Star, etc. etc. Many of us, for a long time have worked hard for that to happen but I came to the realization that it was a losing battle since the underlying conditions did not exist for us to be successful and the state legislature was too busy protecting the 167 fiefdoms in the state t0 care. The State lacks vision, a true strategy and the collaboration to make it happen. I wish it were different

Reaction Score
Loop - appreciate your passion. One anecdote. In 1990 I was named to a Business-led commission to 'attract and retain young professionals'. While I have long grown out of that demographic, from time to time I see similar efforts come and go - Metro Hartford Alliance, Rising Star, etc. etc. Many of us, for a long time have worked hard for that to happen but I came to the realization that it was a losing battle since the underlying conditions did not exist for us to be successful and the state legislature was too busy protecting the 167 fiefdoms in the state t0 care. The State lacks vision, a true strategy and the collaboration to make it happen. I wish it were different

Y'all were focused on the wrong city ;-)

Reaction Score
Stand in line at Bradley for a flight and then in line at Logan and do a quick calculation on average age. That's my other litmus test besides the cranes. If average age is older than me, that's bad...since I'm OAF
It may not be good for you or either of us, but we share this litmus test. A quick, fairly accurate gauge on where the action is, and less so ...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I live in the middle of uptown (downtown) Charlotte in a place that has a 3500 square foot heated saltwater infinity pool, full gym with cycle bikes and yoga rooms, valet parking, 24 hour concierge, etc brand new apartment and pay under $1100 a month.

65 on Thursday and I'll be outside on a patio at a bar somewhere watching basketball.

Its tough to beat the combo of price/weather.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I live in the middle of uptown (downtown) Charlotte in a place that has a 3500 square foot heated saltwater infinity pool, full gym with cycle bikes and yoga rooms, valet parking, 24 hour concierge, etc brand new apartment and pay under $1100 a month.

65 on Thursday and I'll be outside on a patio at a bar somewhere watching basketball.

Its tough to beat the combo of price/weather.

For $1100 in Hartford, a city with far, far, less happening than Charlotte, you can't get a great apartment. Most of the luxury complexes are more like $1500 and really don't offer much. I totally agree with you, Drew. For the value and the amenities, the south is where it's at.

Reaction Score
Hate to see my home state struggling economically like this, but I sure am glad I got the hell out.
Me too. Out in 1987...no regrets. Sad too see how the state has fallen. Love living in VA.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I use cranes and construction as a barometer for health of an area when I visit it for the first time.

Reaction Score

It’s a big state.

I had an architect friend drive me south of I95 in Stamford and there are about 5 high end luxury residential projects going up.

It’s all in the mix.

To me, I find the ignorance of many continuously posting about GE moving to Boston ... and not recognizing it as the part of the changing lifestyle desires. If you make millions as an Executive at GE, you don’t care about the Connecticut suburban school districts; your kids are going to elite prep schools. You want urban upscale sensuous life. That’s now a big city (not Hartford or Albany or Springfield or even Providence). Look at what Amazon is gonna do.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I use cranes and construction as a barometer for health of an area when I visit it for the first time.

When I first traveled to Atlanta and went down the interstate, I was amazed at how much construction I could see. It made me realize how depressed things are up here despite the relatively high average incomes. Another big difference seems to be the health and number of small businesses/start ups amongst young people. A lot of the revitalized places I've visited are filled with small businesses started by young people who can then buy affordable houses, fix them up, and keep the economy local. That hardly exists here in my own experience

Reaction Score
It isn't that complicated. When Hartford and other cities in the North East were full of booming factories and a solid mix of white-colar insurance and banking jobs....things were great. The factories migrated south and out of the country and things went to hell.

Bostonwas D.O.A. 30 years ago, but they had the vision to spend way too much in infrastructure and a then emerging industry (bio-tech and health). Plus Boston and NYC have the ultimate safety net.....both cities are filthy with college students who are cheap labor and spend a lot of money.

Hartford lost the factories, waited too long on infrastructure, and the only college in the cities limits is Trinity (now Uconn Hartford as well). This isn't the Da Vinci Code.

Charlotte is great if you work in banking or Health Care. If not, the salary ceilings are low and hard....but the weather is good. No one was investing in Texas when people thought the oil was drying up. Hartford will need to catch lightening in a bottle, and you can't get on that. But I will always love it more than any other city.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
It starts with young entrepreneurs. The state simply doesn’t attract them the way other states are. Young entrepreneurs invest money, bring positive energy, tend to get involved in productive civic matters. They also ultimately bring jobs. My experience has been that those who don’t travel much out of the state are the ones most blind to this obvious difference. All the “type B” cities from my list are attracting ‘can do’ youthful entrepreneurs. They are attracting tomorrow’s creative class in a big way and so the current trends seems likely to remain for some time yet as the millennial age matures.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom