Supporting role tidbits Walker and Williams | The Boneyard

Supporting role tidbits Walker and Williams

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
  • Walker has been so good this offseason that Auriemma says she’s virtually unrecognizable. “A complete 180,” he said. “It’s been remarkable, her attitude, work ethic, confidence level, how she approaches everything. She came in as a freshman expecting it to happen on its own; now she’s out there making an impact.”
  • Williams has been a force in practice. “She’s not intimidated,” Auriemma said. “She’s one of the most aggressive freshmen we’ve ever had.”
  • Another top recruit, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, will have to toughen up, though she is supremely skilled. There are limitations — in general ability or ability to take charge — up and down a bench that won’t produce many points.
  • The supporting players aren’t up to snuff and who knows if they will be in late winter? So expectations must be built on what you can count on — what you hope to be able to count on .

Reaction Score
  • Walker has been so good this offseason that Auriemma says she’s virtually unrecognizable. “A complete 180,” he said. “It’s been remarkable, her attitude, work ethic, confidence level, how she approaches everything. She came in as a freshman expecting it to happen on its own; now she’s out there making an impact.”
  • Williams has been a force in practice. “She’s not intimidated,” Auriemma said. “She’s one of the most aggressive freshmen we’ve ever had.”
  • Another top recruit, Olivia Nelson-Ododa, will have to toughen up, though she is supremely skilled. There are limitations — in general ability or ability to take charge — up and down a bench that won’t produce many points.
  • The supporting players aren’t up to snuff and who knows if they will be in late winter? So expectations must be built on what you can count on — what you hope to be able to count on .

Pretty much said the same thing about Danger. And we all know how that went.

Reaction Score
Pretty much said the same thing about Danger. And we all know how that went.
Nutz! Is that affirmative or negative ? Danger came in as a Frosh and almost single handedly defeated Baylor, then she developed physical issues. To me, Danger like Mo, were born with the gene to be exceptional PG's.
Walker came to Uconn as the number ONE WBB HS player in the land. I won't comment on how she and Geno saw her progress because I have a bias towards Megan as I have toward Chrystan Williams. If she is an outstanding athlete and WBB player (either Walker or Williams) I shall not be surprised. If Okey Dokey is half of what is being printed about her --Uconn will be in the mix in April. (if you have seen any movie on the Battle of the Bulge you'll understand the first 6 words)

Reaction Score
Thanks for this posting. The last 2 bullets are exactly as some of us believed. ONO is a bit frail to want to take much punishment, she is a Z type finesse player. Too, as Z she needs some weight/muscle. That is no surprise. Yet she'll use her talent and be an asset.
We here on the BY have assessed the bench. Those to me that has the potential to be some help should they be healthy and learned the Geno system are Gordon, Batouly, Coombs, Irwin,

Reaction Score
Some players have talent and some players have "it." To me, Christyn Williams, like Stewie, Maya, DT and Sue, has "it."

After this, that and the other, my expertise(HA) have come to the conclusion that Christyn could have a Maya type freshman impact on the team(I'm not predicting AA level, just a HUGE impact) and that the starters are set. IMO, Christyn has to start because if she doesn't, that leaves us with one guard on the floor. Yes, Lou has guard skills, but a shooting guard she is not. She is a SF in every aspect of the game.

Crystal
Christyn
Lou
Meghan
Pheesa

That gives us a whole lot of versatility on offense. Let's just hope Meghan can defend the post like Gabby was able to.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Some players have talent and some players have "it." To me, Christyn Williams, like Stewie, Maya, DT and Sue, has "it."

After this, that and the other, my expertise(HA) have come to the conclusion that Christyn could have a Maya type freshman impact on the team(I'm not predicting AA level, just a HUGE impact) and that the starters are set. IMO, Christyn has to start because if she doesn't, that leaves us with one guard on the floor. Yes, Lou has guard skills, but a shooting guard she is not. She is a SF in every aspect of the game.

Crystal
Christyn
Lou
Meghan
Pheesa

That gives us a whole lot of versatility on offense. Let's just hope Meghan can defend the post like Gabby was able to.

My impression of CW is that she is very strong , and an excellent rebounding guard - which would be important in that lineup given the lack of a true "5" or a Gabby Williams. (The others are good on the glass, too, particularly Collier, so I don't mean to dis them re: rebounding.) I really like that lineup, btw!

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Nutz! Is that affirmative or negative ? Danger came in as a Frosh and almost single handedly defeated Baylor, then she developed physical issues. To me, Danger like Mo, were born with the gene to be exceptional PG's.
Walker came to Uconn as the number ONE WBB HS player in the land. I won't comment on how she and Geno saw her progress because I have a bias towards Megan as I have toward Chrystan Williams. If she is an outstanding athlete and WBB player (either Walker or Williams) I shall not be surprised. If Okey Dokey is half of what is being printed about her --Uconn will be in the mix in April. (if you have seen any movie on the Battle of the Bulge you'll understand the first 6 words)
B'Way, you gave away the secret intro code! :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Based on this report about Megan, we can now assume she will be the 4th starter, as many of us predicted all summer. This is the report/conformation we've been waiting for.

Geno saying that she’s unrecognizable is great news to many Husky fans that wandered if and when she would make the sophomore leap. The work she put in over the summer, including the workouts she did with Collier have paid off. It will be interesting to see how much "leash" Geno gives her the first half of the season against the ranked teams on the schedule. it will also be interesting to see what kind of numbers she puts up before the Christmas break. Any one care to guess the number of double doubles she'll have by then? I'm guessing 2.

With that box checked, we can now turn our attention to that mystery 5th starter and the yet to be designated 6th man. Will Geno go small with Christyn as the 5th starter, or go BIG with Batouly or Kyla? It's a similar dilemma that Geno had last year when he had to choose between Crystal or Azura. I know it’s early, but Christyn appears to be taking an early lead and pulling away from the pack. If not Christyn, then who? :rolleyes:

It’s very encouraging and exciting to hear that Christyn is coming in and infusing the team with her infectious energy and confidence. Energy and confidence that should easily rub off on the rest of the team. A dynamic that will make UConn even more formidable than earlier projected. It appears that a supremely confident and physically prepared Christyn Williams has joined the program and announced “I got next”.

This UConn team just might be better this season than they were projected to be. A strong starting 5, and a solid 6th man can take this team a long way. I’m already looking forward to the Ohio State game on Nov 11. It’s a game UConn should win, but I want to see how much the starting unit has gelled, and how smoothly their offense flows.

I want to see how much the reserves have developed and improved their game and understanding of Geno’s system, which is to say how far down toward the end of the bench the 6th man sits. Another very important concern is the health of those players that were injured last season. Have those injuries healed? Are those players 100% and ready to begin the season injury free? It's been reported that Camara's knee is not completely healed, which means she may not be ready to answer the bell when the season begins in 3 weeks.

I've advocated all summer about something that Geno has also mentioned recently, that is that unlike teams in the past, THIS team cannot afford the luxury of hosting/carrying any cheerleaders. Every player on the roster will be expected to contribute some meaningful minutes throughout the season if this team is going to be successful. Even if it's as little as 5-7 minutes a game pre garbage time. As other posters have commented, the starting unit cannot be expected to play 33+ minutes a game all season, and still have enough legs and stamina to be effective and carry the team through the tournament come March.

I want to see the pecking order the reserves are placed in on the bench. Who is going to step up and be counted? Who is going to move toward end of the bench closest to Geno, and who will remain on the far end? I’m really hoping that Lou has shared what she learned from watching film with Kobe with the rest of the team. If her teammates can embrace the concepts and techniques of breaking down film, understand and retain the spacing dynamics that was shown to her, that alone should make UConn a more resilient adversary.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Pretty sure at this point Geno will start Danger, Lou, Pheesa, Megan and Christyn. After that, I have no idea what to expect from ONO, Batouly, or Mikayla off the bench. He's made almost no comments about them except that ONO needs to do a lot of work. Then there's Kyla, Molly and Lexi - great teammates but not reserves who will see any PT in big games.

It's possible ONO, Batouly and Mikayla won't either but you can't play 5 players for 40 minutes and expect good things to happen. ONO has the skills, but needs to be stronger and tougher. I know it will come for her, but the question is when?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Hey Milford! Here's an entire thread devoted to two players, one of which we both think is going to be "legendary", the other we both said during last year that she would be an AA this year. It sure is fun watching the world catch up.

Reaction Score
Hey Milford! Here's an entire thread devoted to two players, one of which we both think is going to be "legendary", the other we both said during last year that she would be an AA this year. It sure is fun watching the world catch up.

Come-on, Catch up? I never gave up on Megan and I have emotional expectations of CW. But, unfortunately we have yet to see if either shall be Legendary I suspect both will be very good and one shall be legendary. Nevertheless, you and Milford get a tip of the hat to show the bald spot.

Reaction Score
Based on this report about Megan, we can assume she will be the 4th starter, as many of us have predicted all summer. This is the report we’ve been waiting for.

Geno saying that she’s unrecognizable is good enough for me. I’m satisfied that Walker has made the sophomore leap we all anticipated she would.

With that box checked, we can now turn our attention to that 5th starter and the 6th man. I know it’s early, Christyn appears to be taking an early lead in that race. It’s very encouraging and exciting to hear that Christyn is coming in and infusing the team with her infectious energy and confidence. Energy and confidence that should easily rub off on the rest of the team. A dynamic that will make UConn even more formidable than earlier projected. It appears to me that Christyn has come in and said “I got next”.

This UConn team may be better this season than they were projected to be. A strong starting 5, and a solid 6th man can take this team a long way. I’m already looking forward to the Ohio State game. It’s a game UConn should win, but I want to see how much the other players have developed and improved their game and understanding of Geno’s system.

I want to see the pecking order the reserves are placed in on the bench. I’m also hoping that Lou has shared what she learned from watching film with Kobe with the rest of the team. If the team can embrace the concept and understanding he showed Lou, that will make UConn that much more resilient.
Good stuff as usual! Nothing for me to disagree with as hard as I tried.
You pointed out the REAL issue that this team has, assuming the 5 we expect shall do as we expect, is the 6th 7th 8th 9th subs. The last two year Uconn has had an Achilles heel for those and this team is HEALTH and exceptional minutes played by Danger, KLS, Napheesa. A medical fact is that constant running and strong exercise leads to hip, knee, shins, an feet issues. Geno has to find the people to give relief and ways to keep their game valid. Some way, some how to save their bodies for April and prior big games. No matter how much Lou begs to play, that's why he gets the mega-bucks.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
Geno is speaking about Megan the way he spoke about Crystal. I believe the lineup will be:
Christyn
Crystal
Lou
Megan
Napheesa

Batouly
Mikayla
Olivia

Five +three = Eight

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Hey Milford! Here's an entire thread devoted to two players, one of which we both think is going to be "legendary", the other we both said during last year that she would be an AA this year. It sure is fun watching the world catch up.[/QUOTE/]

Here you go Jordy:

Reaction Score
Geno is speaking about Megan the way he spoke about Crystal. I believe the lineup will be:
Christyn
Crystal
Lou
Megan
Napheesa

Batouly
Mikayla
Olivia

Five +three = Eight
I don't see what Mikayla has shown, and we all know there will be questions about her recovery from illness. So I wouldn't automatically pencil her in. And you have basically written off Molly and Kyla. Many of us feared that they were unknown and unheralded recruits who would never be UCONN caliber. Useful only for garbage time in one-sided romps. I am still hoping for a miracle.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I’ve advocated all summer about something that Geno has also mentioned recently, that is that unlike teams in the past, this team cannot afford the luxury of having any cheerleaders.

But @Scoop, he is so confusing. :confused: If you are not cheer leading on the bench Geno says you will never play ...NEVER. :eek:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Christyn
Crystal
Lou
Megan
Napheesa

Batouly
Mikayla
Olivia

Five +three = Eight

Camara is going to have to shove Kyla out of the way and I don't think she can. Happily, I think they both can help this team considerably.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Courant just reported that Megatron and the Legend will start.

“Collier, Samuelson and Dangerfield will be joined in the starting lineup by Megan Walker, a sophomore forward who couldn’t assert herself last season, and freshman guard Christyn Williams, who, like Walker the year before, was the consensus top high school recruit in the nation.”

Not sure which article has that direct quote but this seems the newest and clearly supports this

Geno Auriemma Weighs In On UConn Expectations, Megan Walker And Corruption

Who’s Stood Out Early On
“I would say that probably the biggest 180 from last year has been Megan Walker. From the player that showed up the first week of practice last year to this year, it’s completely different. So that’s been really, really impressive to see her make that kind of jump. Most freshmen make a jump, but hers’ has been huge -- as big as any freshman I’ve seen. Now she had a long way to jump, I get that.

“Christyn Williams has come in as a freshman and kind of not acted like one. She still does things that freshmen do, but this kid doesn’t have the mindset ‘I’m a freshman.’ It’s pretty unique right now what she’s doing as a freshman.”

The Megan Walker analysis is nice to hear and funny

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks for this posting. The last 2 bullets are exactly as some of us believed. ONO is a bit frail to want to take much punishment, she is a Z type finesse player. Too, as Z she needs some weight/muscle. That is no surprise. Yet she'll use her talent and be an asset.
We here on the BY have assessed the bench. Those to me that has the potential to be some help should they be healthy and learned the Geno system are Gordon, Batouly, Coombs, Irwin,
Olivia is a thin finesse player like Azura, but there is a key difference: Azura wanted to play outside exclusively; Olivia wants to play inside and out. She definitely has posting-up experience and skills.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My impression of CW is that she is very strong , and an excellent rebounding guard - which would be important in that lineup given the lack of a true "5" or a Gabby Williams. (The others are good on the glass, too, particularly Collier, so I don't mean to dis them re: rebounding.) I really like that lineup, btw!
Christyn IS very strong and a good rebounder. And she just started lifting weights this summer.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Courant just reported that Megatron and the Legend will start.

“Collier, Samuelson and Dangerfield will be joined in the starting lineup by Megan Walker, a sophomore forward who couldn’t assert herself last season, and freshman guard Christyn Williams, who, like Walker the year before, was the consensus top high school recruit in the nation.”

When Oh When will you learn basic citation form @MilfordHusky!

I posted an article this AM that had quite a hint in it:

“I would say that probably the biggest 180 from last year has been Megan Walker. From the player that showed up the first week of practice last year to this year, it’s completely different. So that’s been really, really impressive to see her make that kind of jump. Most freshmen make a jump, but hers’ has been huge -- as big as any freshman I’ve seen. Now she had a long way to jump, I get that.”

“Christyn Williams has come in as a freshman and kind of not acted like one. She still does things that freshmen do, but this kid doesn’t have the mindset ‘I’m a freshman.’ It’s pretty unique right now what she’s doing as a freshman.”

I'm stoked. This could be a very exciting line up.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom