Sunday games | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Sunday games

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not to poo poo it, but...

He's got 12 years of coaching at TT in some capacity. Helped put the program on the map with Bobby Knight. Those are significant roots. And He's getting $3.2m over 6yrs.

We would have had to offer him like 5mil+ or something absurd.

You did poo poo it - and I'm okay with it. We got the right guy. No question.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Complaining about 1 and done players is so objectively stupid that it should result in banning. On one hand you are defending Coach K, and on the other hand blaming 1 and done players for Duke's loss. If K is so smart, and 3 and 4 year players are better, then why doesn't K use 4 year players?

Coach K is responsible for the team on the court. Today's team played lousy perimeter defense.

I'm not complaining about anything. I'm saying K fell into the one and done trap. It makes it harder to put a cohesive team on the floor year in year out. Guy's have to relearn everything. And other players who've been there simply get recruited over.

Jay Wright fell into a similar trap for a few years. It's not until he started to recruit more mid range guys who fit his system that he started to get results again. He's on record saying exactly this.

It's not a hard concept to see, I don't know why you are poo pooing it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Personally, I don't think K is all that comfortable with the one and done crap but he knows he is being paid to bring the best talent available to Duke. Unfortunately, the one and dones are the best talent and are the kids that will put up with some of K's uniqueness for one year.
The way the Duke team has played in the past 3-5 years shows the one and done syndrome - a lack of discipline on offense and the inability to play a good man to man that allows more disciplined, great outside shooting teams to upset them. Kansas beat Duke because they had smarter and older players. The only Dukie to keep them in that game was their only contributing senior - Allen.
I was never impressed with K's game tactics and he relied on intimidating the officials to get by in close games.
I am not saying he is not a good or successful coach but I would take JC and even Jay Wright over him, JMHO

C

Chief00

How soon we forget Wright negatively recruiting on Jim Calhoun’s health.

I do agree Nova is a solid fundamental team. I wonder how good they would be if they had to go against Calhoun’s UConn teams, Cuse, etc type teams back in the day?

intlzncster

Reaction Score
How soon we forget Wright negatively recruiting on Jim Calhoun’s health.I do agree Nova is a solid fundamental team. I wonder how good they would be if they had to go against Calhoun’s UConn teams, Cuse, etc type teams back in the day?

I mean, wouldn't you? Especially when everyone else was doing it, including JC's buddy Jimmy B.

C

Chief00

I mean, wouldn't you? Especially when everyone else was doing it, including JC's buddy Jimmy B.

Quite frankly, No. you don’t take a coaching colleague’s health and make it an issue. It’s bad form.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, No. you don’t take a coaching colleague’s health and make it an issue. It’s bad form.

Eh, there's not wrong with saying, he's not likely to be there much longer...you don't know if you'll finish your career with him as coach. That's standard practice. Certainly these days.

Reaction Score
Couple observations:

1. Brunson is as fundamentally sound a college player as you are going to find. Kids just don't play that way.

That came from his dad not Wright.

2. Notice how Wright gets Brunson a breather right before the media timeouts to extend his rest. Those are the tricks Ollie didn't have with guys like Adams.

Ollie did it with Adams, not always but many, many times.

3. Nova is the men's equivalent of the UConn women. That program is absolutely rolling.

Not even close.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
And to think I honestly believed that winning at all costs was part of Chief’s shtick.

Knew someone wouldn't like my take, but the last guy I thought it'd be is chief. Maybe because it was against JC lol

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Knew someone wouldn't like my take, but the last guy I thought it'd be is chief. Maybe because it was against JC lol

Players cutting class is encouraged, arrest records shouldn't have any bearing on coaches' job status, but negative recruiting based on another coach's health is somehow off limits. I now know better than to question the logic.

Reaction Score
Jay Wright could have been our coach once upon a time, the guy absolutely loves Calhoun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom