Sunday 3/19 NCAAT games | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Sunday 3/19 NCAAT games

Reaction Score
Knowingly? That's not what I recall, and this article seems to confirm my memory:

UConn's Moore needs surgery for torn ACL
Maybe she didn't yet know it was an ACL, but she definitely knowingly returned to the game with a knee injury. Most players who have torn their ACLs say they 'know' before the official diagnosis.

Anyway, I hope this is not what happened to Turner.

Reaction Score
Maybe she didn't yet know it was an ACL, but she definitely knowingly returned to the game with a knee injury. Most players who have torn their ACLs say they 'know' before the official diagnosis.

Did you even read the story?

"And it really wasn't that bad and then I just got up and then after that play --something back there just pulled. And it hurt really, really bad for a good, like, 15 minutes. And then when I just got it moving again, then it really just came back to normal. It's nothing serious, I don't think."

Clearly she didn't know it was an ACL.

Reaction Score
Did you even read the story?

"And it really wasn't that bad and then I just got up and then after that play --something back there just pulled. And it hurt really, really bad for a good, like, 15 minutes. And then when I just got it moving again, then it really just came back to normal. It's nothing serious, I don't think."

Clearly she didn't know it was an ACL.
Yes I read it. Were you there? Even I knew it was an ACL. Anyway, she did knowingly return to the game :p

Reaction Score
Purdue had been playing well since BIG10 tourney.

Yep, they have. So much of that is on Morrisette who is a completely different player this year. She's grown up, finally, and runs the offense like a seasoned-pro while maintaining her own scoring. I saw her play several times in high school and she was a one-on-one streaky scorer who never saw a pass she was interested in. Her stock must have gone way up in these last couple of months, and I now see her as someone that could help a WNBA team.

Reaction Score
USC in a dog fight on their home floor.

If this team gets upset again there's literally no team left in Stockton that deserves to be in Dallas.
You really don't like the PAC-12. You could have said instead, WOW, the 8th seeded AZ Sun Devils, who were not even in the top 4 of the PAC-12 really are a decent team, hence, maybe I haven't given the PAC-12 its due.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
ACL tears are really strange in terms of how they differ from person to person - I tore mine playing beach volleyball - didn't hurt but I felt something pop and I played for a few minutes longer but realized my knee was not functioning properly - I could walk normally and did for the next three days until I could get back from Jamaica. There was a little swelling the next day but nothing too bad. Because I was working in Jamaica without rehab facilities and wasn't a sports fanatic, the Miami Heat doctor suggest I not have surgery and just live with it, which I am still doing 20 years later. Maybe a week a year my knee gets a little funky and loose, but otherwise I don't notice it.
A lot depends on what tissues beyond the actual ligament are damaged, and whether the damage to the ligament involves the connection point of the ligament, because there aren't nerves in the ligament. So you have instances where there is great pain and others where there is almost none, and situations where any movement of the joint is painful and others where it feels pretty normal and can like in Moore's case function almost as if nothing is wrong.

In watching the replay, the action in the ND game looked worse than the SC game, but who knows.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You really don't like the PAC-12. You could have said instead, WOW, the 8th seeded AZ Sun Devils, who were not even in the top 4 of the PAC-12 really are a decent team, hence, maybe I haven't given the PAC-12 its due.
Some people in this world have to spin everything to the negative side. Some of those people happen to populate this board.

Did you notice these naysayers were all over it when Oregon State or Stanford struggled. But when Arizona State mopped the floor with Michigan State, and when Cal took down LSU, and when Oregon took down Temple, and when ASU comes within a whisker of a huge upset vs. South Carolina, nothing to say about the Pac-12 then.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can't put my finger on it and I don't want to be mean but I'm glad we didn't get Wilson. IDK. Very happy with our players.
I thought the exact same thing watching this game. She would not be a fit for Geno and UConn

Reaction Score
Some people in this world have to spin everything to the negative side. Some of those people happen to populate this board.

Did you notice these naysayers were all over it when Oregon State or Stanford struggled. But when Arizona State mopped the floor with Michigan State, and when Cal took down LSU, and when Oregon took down Temple, and when ASU comes within a whisker of a huge upset vs. South Carolina, nothing to say about the Pac-12 then.

You are making the mistake of bringing facts into the discussion.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It was Turner being out plus Westbeld fouling out. ND nearly lost to *Clemson* when Westbeld didn't play and Turner had foul trouble.

Need one available to be even a good team. Need both to be a great team.
I guess I was more scratching my own head to reassess as ND looked good in the 3rd Qtr and then to me, inexplicable faded down the stretch. Somewhat similar when UConn was without Kia for Tulane. That said, I didn't understand why Nelson was in and not Boley. Just odd watching ND struggle like that and I guess explains the criticality one player can have to a team. Allen played well for the most part, Mabry stepped up but Arike seems far too inconsistent given her pedigree.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Sorry about the delay on this as I have not been on the board as much yesterday. As one of the skeptics (as a opposed to naysayers) of the PAC12, I have been having a keen eye on their games and especially against top teams. So yes, Plebe, at times they have played very well and other times not so much. That is no different than the other teams so yes, I am modifying my stance as they are showing something, OSU still worries me (and I had them going to the Final 4) but ASU played well (or did SC play it's usual game and they are overrated?). I will watch both Wash and If I can, Stanford tonight. Still think Cal should not have been invited but do like Anigwe and what she can do tonight. If you saw my bracket, it would be hard to believe I don't like the PAC12 as I picked them pretty heavily!

Reaction Score
Nope, Turner too. About 5 minutes ago in the ND game. She went up for a rebound and landed awkwardly and her leg just gave out on her. She had to be helped off the court.
Add,Duke starting point guard, Kyra Lambert to the injury list.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

I think the question that some people, myself included have about the Pac12 is what the strength at the top really looks like, and those questions like last year are not going to be answered the first weekend unless there is a huge upset. And OSUw and Stanford having very close games against 15 seeds are the kind of almost upsets that at least raise the question more. That Washington and Oregon, and ASU and Cal preformed well doesn't answer that question.
Obviously OSU and especially Washington far exceeded expectations and Stanford did as well. But this year for those three schools most of the data available for them comes from Pac12 competition and some losses OOC. They have been given good seeds and those three plus UCLA were host sites who are expected to get to at least the S16 - so far so good.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Obviously OSU and especially Washington far exceeded expectations and Stanford did as well. But this year for those three schools most of the data available for them comes from Pac12 competition and some losses OOC. They have been given good seeds and those three plus UCLA were host sites who are expected to get to at least the S16 - so far so good.

And this is what's driving me crazy. Why are people applying this strict standard only to the Pac-12? As I have pointed out multiple times now, the same exact thing can be said about almost all of the top 4 seeds: Their best wins came in conference, and/or they had OOC losses, and/or they didn't really have "marquee" OOC wins. Why is no one raising these questions about Florida State or Louisville? Just to name two examples.

Reaction Score
Too long of a break. They should've played Maryland the day after beating Baylor.
Yes, exactly what I feared would happen, did. Disappointing outing for sure.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
And this is what's driving me crazy. Why are people applying this strict standard only to the Pac-12? As I have pointed out multiple times now, the same exact thing can be said about almost all of the top 4 seeds: Their best wins came in conference, and/or they had OOC losses, and/or they didn't really have "marquee" OOC wins. Why is no one raising these questions about Florida State or Louisville? Just to name two examples.
But I think they are - no one is seeing FSU as a strong 3 seed or Louisville as a strong 4 seed - in fact I suspect most people would bet Louisville/TN straight up. Just as no one thinks that highly of KY, or OSUe, or Duke or TX or Miss St. But because all those teams did play in conferences with what have been consensus #1 seeds we have a lot more comparative data on them, and being mostly eastern based we have seen more of their games.

Plebe

Reaction Score
But I think they are - no one is seeing FSU as a strong 3 seed or Louisville as a strong 4 seed - in fact I suspect most people would bet Louisville/TN straight up. Just as no one thinks that highly of KY, or OSUe, or Duke or TX or Miss St. But because all those teams did play in conferences with what have been consensus #1 seeds we have a lot more comparative data on them, and being mostly eastern based we have seen more of their games.
Well gee, could it be that all those teams are overrated? I can't help but wonder: With so many "overrated" teams out there, where are all the underrated teams that should be getting the credit and respect unjustifiably given to all the overrated teams? You can't really have one without the other.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well gee, could it be that all those teams are overrated? I can't help but wonder: With so many "overrated" teams out there, where are all the underrated teams that should be getting the credit and respect unjustifiably given to all the overrated teams? You can't really have one without the other.
Not saying that each person sees each of these teams as over-rated, just that there are questions about everything after the one seeds, so the questions about the Pac12 just fit in with the questions about the other 2 seeds, 3 seeds, and 4 seeds. But the Pac12 has no 1 seed, while the Big12, SEC and ACC all have one. So there are probably more people questioning the Pac12 since none of them have played a #1 seed multiple times.

Reaction Score
Well, as it turns out, I think the whole "seeding" thing is an impossible challenge. Everyone can find a flaw or two in the seeding of various teams, conferences, etc. All this goes out the window when it comes to the 64-team tournament. I would tell you right now, that Long Beach State was a much tougher foe than Creighton for OSU. And LBSU was the 15 seed and Creighton the 7 seed. In my mind, LBSU should have been the 7 seed and Creighton the 15 seed. My point is, that for OSU that is how it stacked up. For another team in the Western Region, the original seeding might have made perfect sense. Bottom line, as many have already said, its all about match ups. And finally, it is about "W's". Whether you win by 1-point of 80 points, it doesn't matter as long as you win. I can say that OSU still hasn't played up to their standard of the early season. Again, they missed so many wide-open 3-pointers yesterday, but still found a way to win. If OSU ever has a game when their outside shooters perform like they did in early/mid season, life will be easier for OSU. There is no margin for error now that OSU faces Florida State next, and probably the same for all other sweet sixteen teams.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well, as it turns out, I think the whole "seeding" thing is an impossible challenge. Everyone can find a flaw or two in the seeding of various teams, conferences, etc. All this goes out the window when it comes to the 64-team tournament. I would tell you right now, that Long Beach State was a much tougher foe than Creighton for OSU. And LBSU was the 15 seed and Creighton the 7 seed. In my mind, LBSU should have been the 7 seed and Creighton the 15 seed. My point is, that for OSU that is how it stacked up. For another team in the Western Region, the original seeding might have made perfect sense. Bottom line, as many have already said, its all about match ups. And finally, it is about "W's". Whether you win by 1-point of 80 points, it doesn't matter as long as you win. I can say that OSU still hasn't played up to their standard of the early season. Again, they missed so many wide-open 3-pointers yesterday, but still found a way to win. If OSU ever has a game when their outside shooters perform like they did in early/mid season, life will be easier for OSU. There is no margin for error now that OSU faces Florida State next, and probably the same for all other sweet sixteen teams.
Actually, I felt like OSU played against LBSU roughly how it looked in the early part of the season, which wasn't all that impressive in their loss to Marquette and their near-loss to UNLV. Again, as you and I have pointed out, stylistically LBSU is a difficult matchup for OSU along the lines of a Marquette or UNLV.

I feel like OSU played by far its best game against Washington for the first 3 quarters. They had incredible ball movement and multiple players raining 3's. They played well at Stanford, but that was more the Sydney Wiese show.

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
Last game of her college career. She played several seasons in the W.
Actually, Jessica played another season at UConn in 2004-05 as a redshirt senior before entering the WNBA.

Reaction Score
Not saying that each person sees each of these teams as over-rated, just that there are questions about everything after the one seeds, so the questions about the Pac12 just fit in with the questions about the other 2 seeds, 3 seeds, and 4 seeds. But the Pac12 has no 1 seed, while the Big12, SEC and ACC all have one. So there are probably more people questioning the Pac12 since none of them have played a #1 seed multiple times.
Other than UCONN, who says the #1 seeds were not overrated? That is the beauty of this tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom