Sunday (12/5) vs Notre Dame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sunday (12/5) vs Notre Dame

Reaction Score
Coin flip may mean equal to you. I see this going either way depending on how the game actually plays out.

Yes Paige and Crystal have a scoring advantage but the game isn't only scoring. Miles and Mabrey can be very pesky on the defensive side from what I've seen. If they're able to frustrate and throw the UConn guards off their game, it's a different story. Add in Citron from the bench and they have an interesting mix.
"A coin flip" doesn't mean equal to you ?

coin flip​

1. Literally, the act of throwing a coin into the air, with the outcome of something dependent on which side of the coin lands face-up.We figured the fairest way was to do a coin flip to see who should keep Dad's old stamp collection.
2. By extension, a situation in which two outcomes, usually opposites, are equally likely and will be decided by chance.At this point, it's really just a coin flip whether we'll be able to recoup our costs from this project or not.

Reaction Score
I hope UConn crushes Notre Dame.
That would be great, but it won't be a walk in the park. Their high-school transfer is a starting, scoring guard, and ours moved on to Arkansas.

Reaction Score
"Guards are a coin flip" ?
Mabrey and Miles are equal to Williams and Bueckers ??
Miles is 1 of 13 from 3 pt range this season. She drives well but is averaging 4 turnovers a game.
Paige is scoring almost as much, by herself (And at a much higher field goal percentage) as Mabrey and Miles put together.
There's no way the guards are a toss up.
I expect a much-improved ND team that potentially could give UConn a real tussle........Citron is the one to worry about.........she has all the important characteristics of a UConn guard and as far as I'm concerned is the one recruit that got away....

Reaction Score
"A coin flip" doesn't mean equal to you ?

coin flip​

1. Literally, the act of throwing a coin into the air, with the outcome of something dependent on which side of the coin lands face-up.We figured the fairest way was to do a coin flip to see who should keep Dad's old stamp collection.
2. By extension, a situation in which two outcomes, usually opposites, are equally likely and will be decided by chance. At this point, it's really just a coin flip whether we'll be able to recoup our costs from this project or not.
A toss of the coin to me means it could go either way. You see it as meaning equal. We have different interpretations. I thought the point of the BY was to be able to express opinions with knowledgeable fans. If we disagree, we disagree.

Reaction Score
A 30 pt. win against Notre Dame ? I'm sure they will 'love' this motivation !

Reaction Score
I expect a much-improved ND team that potentially could give UConn a real tussle........Citron is the one to worry about.........she has all the important characteristics of a UConn guard and as far as I'm concerned is the one recruit that got away....
Last night Citron was on fire. She really, really finishes. 29 points off the bench.

Reaction Score
I am done predicting 30 pt blowouts. This team needs time to get its act together defensively and ND is as hard as it gets to defend imo.
Agreed. This year’s team has not evolved as of yet into the juggernaut everyone projected before the season began. Women’s basketball has become more competitive and teams are no longer intimidated just sharing the court with UConn. ND has talent, but UConn should win, but the Huskies haven’t played a complete game so far.

Reaction Score
Last night Citron was on fire. She really, really finishes. 29 points off the bench.
Both she and Miles played very composed yesterday.

I understand and respect those who believe think UConn has the advantage at guard. On paper and from what Bueckers, Williams have done, it's a no brainer. However from what I've seen in both Miles and Citron so far, I get the feeling this could be an entertaining match up in the front court.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and that's fine. But if it does turn into a good battle, we have a great game in front of us on a Sunday afternoon. We all win in that case.

Reaction Score
Over the next couple of years, that well maybe a true statement. Sonia Citron might well be the one that "Got Away"

Reaction Score
Over the next couple of years, that well maybe a true statement. Sonia Citron might well be the one that "Got Away"
I've been following her since 2018......for those that don't know her.....if they saw her last night against Michigan State they'd know that statement is true already.......

Reaction Score
Olivia Miles is the real deal. Westbeld and Dodson are good but undersized bigs. Citron has her ups and downs but gets plenty of playing time. Don’t be surprised if this isn’t a blowout
That assessment of Citron is a bit harsh. Seven games into her collegiate career and she is pegged as inconsistent? I suppose every UConn player is a paragon of consistency? First, she’s coming off the bench, blending into a new system and trying to determine her role. Oh, and she drops 29 on the road against a quality team.

Reaction Score
I also like Citron.Had a big game last night.She made the all tournament team this summer in the World Junior Tournament.She does it all.Moves without the ball.Hits the open shot.Can break her defender down.Really wish she was a Husky.

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
Speaking of "One That Got Away" - Brunelle only played 4 minutes last night and did not score. Anybody know what's up?

Reaction Score
Speaking of "One That Got Away" - Brunelle only played 4 minutes last night and did not score. Anybody know what's up?
I recall it being noted she's dealing with a back issue. Limited minutes to see how she's handling game play.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Well, #1, Sam is NOT "One that got away", UConn did not want her when all was said and done. #2. Sam was miscast during her first year in South Bend as she was the tallest person on that team and had to play out of position plus she did not shoot particularly well in MM's last year and the team was in dire straits. Last year, she had an injury that she did not fully recover from, was out of shape and continued to struggle. This past summer, she did put in significant effort to rehab, get in better shape and that looked promising however I think she has developed or had recurring back issues and now is limited to bench duty either through limited physical concerns or simply not able to be as effective as the other players ahead of her. Where or what she ends up being is still unknown. So @Dillon77 or @Orangutan have I missed anything or do you have something to add?

Reaction Score
I think this will be an exciting game. Citron + Miles did indeed look very good last night. I also wonder they will play with a chip because of all the media attention Page and Azzi are getting?

Reaction Score
That assessment of Citron is a bit harsh. Seven games into her collegiate career and she is pegged as inconsistent? I suppose every UConn player is a paragon of consistency? First, she’s coming off the bench, blending into a new system and trying to determine her role. Oh, and she drops 29 on the road against a quality team.
I truly believe that the majority of UCONN WBB Fans have the highest respect of Sonia Citron's talents and ability. Sadly, there just might be a very small handful of UCONN WBB Fans who just like to continue to bash anyone not directly associated with UCONN WBB. Just a "Fact of Life" I guess.

Reaction Score
That assessment of Citron is a bit harsh. Seven games into her collegiate career and she is pegged as inconsistent? I suppose every UConn player is a paragon of consistency? First, she’s coming off the bench, blending into a new system and trying to determine her role. Oh, and she drops 29 on the road against a quality
I truly believe that the majority of UCONN WBB Fans have the highest respect of Sonia Citron's talents and ability. Sadly, there just might be a very small handful of UCONN WBB Fans who just like to continue to bash anyone not directly associated with UCONN WBB. Just a "Fact of Life" I guess.
How does observing that a freshman who has scored 13,4,9,12,13,9,8, and 29 over her first seven games “has her ups and downs” become “bashing anyone not directly associated with UConn WBB”? I happen to believe Citron is a very good player who is likely to torture us (and others) over the next four years. However, simply observing that a freshman (any freshman) has “ups and downs” does not warrant such a response, especially the “bashing” part. Here’s another “Fact of Life”, if you look hard enough for a way to be offended, you can usually find it! I’ve heard numerous posters bemoan Christyn’s, and ONO’s“ups and downs”and inconsistent play for three years now. I don’t recall anyone indignantly claiming that those posters were bashing everyone directly associated with UConn WBB!

Reaction Score
Going into this game against Notre Dame, our players can not do a lot of ball watching. Our players gotta get on the put a body on a body. Do not scared of contact. Notre Dame is pretty Big but I got faith in our girls in this one. UConn should be okay. Just gotta jump Notre Dame early and do not let up on that intensity.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, #1, Sam is NOT "One that got away", UConn did not want her when all was said and done. #2. Sam was miscast during her first year in South Bend as she was the tallest person on that team and had to play out of position plus she did not shoot particularly well in MM's last year and the team was in dire straits. Last year, she had an injury that she did not fully recover from, was out of shape and continued to struggle. This past summer, she did put in significant effort to rehab, get in better shape and that looked promising however I think she has developed or had recurring back issues and now is limited to bench duty either through limited physical concerns or simply not able to be as effective as the other players ahead of her. Where or what she ends up being is still unknown. So @Dillon77 or @Orangutan have I missed anything or do you have something to add?

That's a pretty good summary. In addition to the back issues, her biggest problem is that Westbeld is arguably the best player on the team at this point and she and Brunelle both are natural 4s. You can slide Westbeld to the 5 and play them together but taking Dodson out sacrifices size, rim-protection, and rebounding.

Westbeld and Dodson are averaging about 28.5 minutes/game each. That leaves 23 frontcourt minutes/game for Brunelle and Nat Marshall to split. So far it's been 14 min/game for Brunelle and 9 min/game for Marshall.

I think she'll be a valuable asset for ND because she is capable of scoring 20+ off the bench and she can stretch the defense. If there comes a game where ND needs a spark off the bench or needs to show a different offensive look, Brunelle is a nice option to have on the bench.

Another thing that may be worth noting is that she signed during the McGraw era and I believe Beth Cunningham was the assistant coach that had the biggest hand in recruiting her. The players getting the most minutes this year either are Mabrey, Miles, Citron, Dodson (who all came to ND when Ivey was head coach) and Westbeld (who Ivey has known since she was in middle school). Meanwhile, the holdovers from that last McGraw year (Gilbert, Peoples, Brunelle) have been shuffled down the pecking order.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Olivia Miles is the real deal. Westbeld and Dodson are good but undersized bigs. Citron has her ups and downs but gets plenty of playing time. Don’t be surprised if this isn’t a blowout

I wish our bench player's were as inconsistent as Citron.

I actually think Citron is one of ND's most consistent players.

Her effort and defensive intensity are always there and she is one of those players for whom the box score does not tell the whole story. She racks up a lot of "hockey assists" and causes turnovers that don't get credited as steals.

Her scoring is the most inconsistent thing about her game but some of that is just her being deferential and unselfish to a fault The Michigan State game was the first one where she really looked for her own offense. As she gets more comfortable with the speed of the college game, I think she'll get better at consistently finding opportunities to attack offensively.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom