Sunday 1/27 games (merged thread)

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree with Tara's quote in the write-up on the Utah-Stanford game:

VanDerveer was upset the Pac-12 Network decided not to air the game.

"The sad thing is this game wasn't on television," she said. "This was a great game. It was great for the fans, but it's too bad it wasn't on TV."

Stanford vs. Utah - Game Recap - January 27, 2019 - ESPN

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Win or lose. if I were a poll voter I'd drop the Irish about 4 or 9 spots :mad:

That was my question, how far does a top 5 team drop after losing to an unranked team? :rolleyes:
When you're the #1 team in the country, any loss is a bad one, especially to an UNRANKED team.
I guess it depends on who's doing the rankings. A loss to a program that far below you should drop you at least 8 spots, maybe 10. It would be impossible for me to rank ND any higher than #8.

Everybody moves up. Stanford drops to # 11, ND to # 9, just below Oregon St.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
That A&M Kentucky game was fun

A&M actually looked competent having multiple kids put up points instead of Carter trying to do every little thing. Amazing how efficient they could be if they try to share the wealth.... Maybe Carter can take a hint moving forward.

Nice to see Howard bounce back today, 21 points 8 rebounds 4 steals and 2 assists on the road for her. She is a joy to watch.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
That was my question, how far does a top 5 team drop after losing to an unranked team? :rolleyes:

Charlie Creme, on Twitter, says losing to UNC is not a bad loss. What? They were 2-4 in ACC before today, and unranked. He also said while not #1 overall seed, still a 1 seed. When asked why he said still many quality wins and “really handled Louisville”.
I had to remind him that it was a 2 point game with 2 minutes left in that game, at ND. He replied they “dominated” the 2nd half.
Laying the groundwork for very minimal drop in rankings.

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme, on Twitter, says losing to UNC is not a bad loss. What? They were 2-4 in ACC before today, and unranked. He also said while not #1 overall seed, still a 1 seed. When asked why he said still many quality wins and “really handled Louisville”.
I had to remind him that it was a 2 point game with 2 minutes left in that game, at ND. He replied they “dominated” the 2nd half.
I bet Notre Dame moves to three.

Reaction Score
Charlie Creme, on Twitter, says losing to UNC is not a bad loss.

If they were at full strength, yes, I would say bad loss. But the committee has taken injuries into accoutn previously.

Also, ND benefits from their strength of sked so far.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
If that's not a bad loss for a potential #1 seed, what is? I haven't researched it yet, but when is the last time a #1 seed had a loss to an NCAA bubble team on its' resume?

Not to mention getting pounded on their homecourt, even if it was UConn. Two bad losses in my book, although I freely admit ND has been very impressive in a number of wins.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I think Notre Dame should move down to the #2 seed even with their RPI strength. Losing to an 11-9 North Carolina is a just a plain bad loss.

I also think it's hard to say that UConn, Oregon, Louisville, Baylor, and Mississippi State don't deserve a #1 seed if season ended today...... but the UConn/Louisville game next Thursday will be key to deciding a few things.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Duke has taken the lead. Gorecki having a nice half. I like her game a lot. Wouldn’t mind if UConn poached another Duke player ;)

Yall need to keep those dirty paws the heck out of Durham :mad:

Reaction Score
If that's not a bad loss for a potential #1 seed, what is? I haven't researched it yet, but when is the last time a #1 seed had a loss to an NCAA bubble team on its' resume?

Not to mention getting pounded on their homecourt, even if it was UConn. Two bad losses in my book, although I freely admit ND has been very impressive in a number of wins.
Today's win snapped an 198 game losing streak that unranked teams against the #1 team. Does anybody know who was the last #1 team to lose to an unranked team?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I missed this one..... in Colonial League action..... HuskyNan's fighting Phoenix got bulldozed up at James Madison. The score after the first period was 28-4....... at halftime it was 48-8. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: The Phoenix got hot in the second half.......... the final score was 80-32.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Did you see this other tweet of his? Think it explains the rationale well. UNC are currently #34 in RPI per WarrenNolan.com and were #45 a week ago. So I understand why he says the loss is "not great, but not awful".

Also keep in mind that UNC has the #10 SOS as of now, so that is a factor in their mediocre record.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Did you see this other tweet of his:

It may not be a "bad" loss by general NCAA seeding criteria but it is most definitely a bad loss in the race for #1 seeds. It's by far the worst loss among the 8 or so teams in the running for 1 seeds.

Plebe

Reaction Score

The committee will take into consideration that the loss occurred without Jackie Young. How much of a factor that will be in their decision is, of course, anyone's guess.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Reminds me of the loss to Miami a few years back.

That game was when Reimer went home. So ND was also missing a starter unexpectedly then.

Adrienne Motley went for 32 that night. Kea for 30 today.

Shepard, Turner, and Mabrey shot 22-33 but combined for 15 turnovers. Arike had 5 assists vs. 2 turnovers but shot 5-21.

All things considered, I thought Nixon played quite well.
Nixon will be a very good player for ND.

Plebe

Reaction Score
well they stomped AAC #3 .... played close to #2.... I have a hard time seeing them as the #7 best team in the AAC
Ah the good ol' head-to-head transitive property.
Houston beat Georgia Tech. Does that mean they'd finish ahead of GT in the ACC standings?
Tulane beat LSU. Does that mean LSU would finish below Tulane in the AAC standings?

Reaction Score
A&M hangs on for the minor upset over Kentucky.

The following AP top 25 teams lost this past week to unranked or lower-ranked teams:
#1 Notre Dame lost to UNC.
#6 Stanford lost to #21 Utah.
#13 Syracuse lost to Miami.
#14 Rutgers lost to #17 Iowa.
#15 Kentucky lost to #24 Texas A&M.
#16 Arizona St lost to UCLA.

Not nearly as many upsets this week in the bottom part of the rankings, but unusual to have two teams in the top 6 get upset.
Always a bit intrigued by Texas A&M. Consistently lose the Texas recruiting wars to Baylor and Texas, but most years just a few slots behind them in rankings.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom