Sun Waive Spencer... Shegog sticks | The Boneyard

Sun Waive Spencer... Shegog sticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The last cut is always tough. Spencer played pretty well but it's hard to replace 6'5". Hope Chay makes great strides in the next few weeks... We need her to be a real sub for Tina.

Spencer brought needed size and a legit 3 point threat to the perimeter and she played with energy when she came in. The energy thing is not yet evident in Chay, but if anyone can show her the way, it is Tina.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
The last cut is always tough. Spencer played pretty well but it's hard to replace 6'5". Hope Chay makes great strides in the next few weeks... We need her to be a real sub for Tina.

Shegog is also cheaper. Spencer is beyond the rookie salary scale, if I am not mistaken, and would require the veteran's minimum (at the very least).

Interesting, however, is that Spencer was originally signed to a two-year deal. I find it unusual that a deal would have multiple years, but would not be guaranteed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Cam also pointed out the other day that Vicki Baugh, Shyra Ely, Shannon Bobbitt, and Shanna Crossley (Zolman) were also recently waived. not a good week for Tennessee alums... I watched Chay play a couple times this year and was impressed with her play overall (ie. skills and physical gifts)...

HOWEVER she was a black hole in the post. Even if double or triple teamed, she'd still try to bulldoze her way in to take a shot, and more often than not she missed. but you can at least pare back that kind of aggressive play if she has the baseline skills to begin with. Glad they kept her...

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Cam also pointed out the other day that Vicki Baugh, Shyra Ely, Shannon Bobbitt, and Shanna Crossley (Zolman) were also recently waived. not a good week for Tennessee alums... I watched Chay play a couple times this year and was impressed with her play overall, HOWEVER she was a black hole in the post even if double or triple teamed, she'd still try to bulldoze her way in to take a shot, and more often than not she missed. but you can at least pare back that kind of aggressive play if she has the baseline skills to begin with. Glad they kept her...

Eric, guess I should have emphasized POSITIVE energy. She was a personal foul machine against Minny. That said, I do understand why she was kept and will be watching hopefully for her to become a legit WNBA backup. GO CHAY! GO SUN!!

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Wow, that coupled with the article about Stricklen having to learn to play defense is very telling...I won't say what it "tells".

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wow, that coupled with the article about Stricklen having to learn to play defense is very telling...I won't say what it "tells".
I must have missed that article. they supposedly focus on defense and rebounding. now, if they aren't really teaching defense, what ARE they doing?! ;)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Defense in the W is a who different kettle of fish than in the NCAA. You are playing against the best of the best every day. Doesn't happen at the college level, and learning how to bring it day in and day out is a life-long task.

Reaction Score
Defense in the W is a who different kettle of fish than in the NCAA. You are playing against the best of the best every day. Doesn't happen at the college level, and learning how to bring it day in and day out is a life-long task.

Exactly. WNBA players are quicker and stronger than what the rookies are typically used to coming out of college. There's going to be an adjustment period for each and every one of them.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

As others have said, playing defense in the WNBA is much more difficult than in college. Maya was a decent defender in college but she plays the SF position in the W and is responsible for guarding some of the best players in the game. Maya struggled defensively at times last year.

Stricklen was not a good defender in college so her transition will be even more challenging. She lacks lateral quickness and was never the best conditioned player on the court. She'll need to improve her fitness which many players do once they become professionals.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Looks like Stricklen had a nice offense outing in the game against LA with 15 points. Her versatility on offense should be of great value in the WNBA.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As others have said, playing defense in the WNBA is much more difficult than in college. Maya was a decent defender in college but she plays the SF position in the W and is responsible for guarding some of the best players in the game.
You mean like the rest of the U.S. Olympic team: Catchings, Taurasi, Cash, McCoughtry. Yep, those guys are good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Looks like Stricklen had a nice offense outing in the game against LA with 15 points. Her versatility on offense should be of great value in the WNBA.

Which has nothing to do with her defensive ability. But her offensive game has never been questioned. And once in better condition, she will be a good defensive player.

All-Star potential.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Which has nothing to do with her defensive ability. But her offensive game has never been questioned. And once in better condition, she will be a good defensive player.

All-Star potential.

Conditioning has never been an issue, as witnessed by her many minutes played and her ability to play better in the 2nd half of games than the 1st half. However, playing the guard spot and defending perimeter players that are quick off the bounce has been her weakness. That comes back to body type, not fatigue. Her lateral quickness is not a strength and never will be. She'll need to be taught some more tricks to compensate for her lack of lateral quickness. Agler spent some time pre-draft going to games and also held a work out with Shekinna. He was very impressed with her work ethic, including conditioning.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Cam also pointed out the other day that Vicki Baugh, Shyra Ely, Shannon Bobbitt, and Shanna Crossley (Zolman) were also recently waived. not a good week for Tennessee alums... I watched Chay play a couple times this year and was impressed with her play overall (ie. skills and physical gifts)...

Vicki and Shyra both have knee injuries. So far, there haven't been any surprises. With the return of Briann, it was somewhat obvious that Bobbitt would probably not make it. Shanna is coming in off injury and was never quick to begin with, so no surprise with the influx of younger, quicker talent, that she would be cut.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Conditioning has never been an issue, as witnessed by her many minutes played and her ability to play better in the 2nd half of games than the 1st half. However, playing the guard spot and defending perimeter players that are quick off the bounce has been her weakness. That comes back to body type, not fatigue. Her lateral quickness is not a strength and never will be. She'll need to be taught some more tricks to compensate for her lack of lateral quickness. Agler spent some time pre-draft going to games and also held a work out with Shekinna. He was very impressed with her work ethic, including conditioning.

I agree that conditioning was not an issue but didn't want to be the one to say it first since I often am the odd man out. It has also been stated here that BG was not well conditioned, which is inaccurate. I'm not sure how this conditioning comment seeps into conversations. I never saw Stricklen struggle with fatigue.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

I stand by my opinion. Stricklen will need to improve her fitness (which should improve her quickness) if she wants to have a successful WNBA career, particularly playing SF.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Vicki and Shyra both have knee injuries. So far, there haven't been any surprises. With the return of Briann, it was somewhat obvious that Bobbitt would probably not make it. Shanna is coming in off injury and was never quick to begin with, so no surprise with the influx of younger, quicker talent, that she would be cut.
i didn't say anything about being surprised. all i said was not a good week for the Tennessee alums. 5 cut in one week - i wonder if that's a record?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

Offense is a lot easier to play when fatigued. It's defense that is the problem. I know I wasn't imagining Stricklen pulling on her shorts during the game with mouth open sucking wind. We will just have to disagree.

She played the 3 most of last year whenever Massingale, Simmons or Williams were on the court at the same time , so I don't know what you mean by playing the guard spot.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Offense is a lot easier to play when fatigued. It's defense that is the problem. I know I wasn't imagining Stricklen pulling on her shorts during the game with mouth open sucking wind. We will just have to disagree.

I agree on both counts.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree that conditioning was not an issue but didn't want to be the one to say it first since I often am the odd man out. It has also been stated here that BG was not well conditioned, which is inaccurate. I'm not sure how this conditioning comment seeps into conversations. I never saw Stricklen struggle with fatigue.

As I said to justavisitor, Stricklen had plenty of games where she was pulling on her shorts and sucking wind. I was never impressed with her conditioning. I remember broadcast teams mentioning it more than one time.

Griner was not in great shape early in her career. But this past season, she was terrific, playing extended minutes and running harder up and down the court.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As I said to justavisitor, Stricklen had plenty of games where she was pulling on her shorts and sucking wind. I was never impressed with her conditioning. I remember broadcast teams mentioning it more than one time.

Griner was not in great shape early in her career. But this past season, she was terrific, playing extended minutes and running harder up and down the court.
yup... when she begged Mulkey to take her out against UConn

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Stricklen is going to have a long and successful career in the WNBA. She has great size for a guard and is a very good offensive player. I am sure that Seattle will do a great job of developing her, especially since she will have the benefit of playing with Bird, who should be a great mentor. Like most young players, she has areas that she needs to improve but I would say that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

As far as grabbing her shorts, you never know what a player is going through physically. You don't know if a player is a bit under the weather and feeling the effects physically. I don't recall this being a pattern with Stricklen but I didn't see every game that Tennessee played. If others who saw her play more frequently than I did say that it was not unusual then I cannot dispute that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Stricklen is going to have a long and successful career in the WNBA. She has great size for a guard and is a very good offensive player. I am sure that Seattle will do a great job of developing her, especially since she will have the benefit of playing with Bird, who should be a great mentor. Like most young players, she has areas that she needs to improve but I would say that the positives far outweigh the negatives.

As far as grabbing her shorts, you never know what a player is going through physically. You don't know if a player is a bit under the weather and feeling the effects physically. I don't recall this being a pattern with Stricklen but I didn't see every game that Tennessee played. If others who saw her play more frequently than I did say that it was not unusual then I cannot dispute that.

No one here has questioned her ability to have a long and successful career. To state that as a given is a little over the top. She HAS to improve defensively or the league will force her out. Bird will help her get open looks. It's what she does.

I have seen maybe 50 or more of Stricklens games and there is no doubt in my mind that she was never in the best shape.

And it looks to me that you were disputing it without knowing of we had seen her play more frequently than you. Looks like I have anyways.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Speaking of surprises...April Sykes made the Sparks. Most RU fans are even surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom