Summitt expects to cut down the nets this year | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Summitt expects to cut down the nets this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i'm not so sure she anointed her the savior -

I dunno. IIRC ... Not only did PHS say last spring that Ariel was the next starting PG, she doubled-down on that statement over the summer in an article by one of the TN papers.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I dunno. IIRC ... Not only did PHS say last spring that Ariel was the next starting PG, she doubled-down on that statement over the summer in an article by one of the TN papers.
As I remember it, too. It seemed rather harsh at the time.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. Emphasizing the gender of the players in the team name is inherently degrading especially where the other gender isn't so emphasized. Why isn't the men's team called the "Gentlemen Vols?" Other schools have changed team names to avoid emphasizing inappropriate references, such as the St. John's University team name change from "Redmen" to "RedStorm."

For UConn fans, try to imagine our UConn women referred to as the "Lady Huskies."

Tennessee's women's basketball team name sounds like discrimination to me. And if the school is receiving any Federal assistance, it could certainly be argued that it violates Title Nine which reads:

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."
—United States Code Section 20, [1]

Identifying the women's athletic teams as the lady vols is no less degrading than calling women, women. Yes it's not the same as the word men, but is identifying them by their gender degrading? IMO no. Not at all.

tnvolfan65

Loyal LV Fan
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. Emphasizing the gender of the players in the team name is inherently degrading especially where the other gender isn't so emphasized. Why isn't the men's team called the "Gentlemen Vols?" Other schools have changed team names to avoid emphasizing inappropriate references, such as the St. John's University team name change from "Redmen" to "RedStorm."

For UConn fans, try to imagine our UConn women referred to as the "Lady Huskies."

Tennessee's women's basketball team name sounds like discrimination to me. And if the school is receiving any Federal assistance, it could certainly be argued that it violates Title Nine which reads:

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."
—United States Code Section 20, [1]

Identifying the women's athletic teams as the lady vols is no less degrading than calling women, women. Yes it's not the same as the word men, but is identifying them by their gender degrading? IMO no. Not at all.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score

It's an unnecessary and archaic description that many people find degrading. I have no problem with it, but it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom