Summer Recruiting Bible: Ollie building huge class for 2016-17 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Summer Recruiting Bible: Ollie building huge class for 2016-17

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I think Brimah takes himself out of rebounding position because hes always looking for the blocked shot. Add to that his lack of strength and skill and boxing out and you end up with poor rebounding numbers. I really cant wait to see how improves with a summer of being healthy and working out.

Ok I will put the coach's hat on and be very skeptical that he will show the kind of strength and game improvement you are suggesting. Having said that he did have an injury last summer that prevented serious weight training.

Quite frankly, I am skeptical. He is a sincere kid by all accounts shared with me and wants to be better - the question is does he fully understand the commitment that takes? He is also a smart kid but basketball IQ is difficult to ever develop when someone starts so late - not impossible but less likely.

I know the fan types are going to jump all over these assessments there not rah rah enough. Quite frankly I accept that and I am glad we have fans like that - not everyone needs to understand the game - just enjoy it.

Reaction Score
I gave Chief a "Like" because nothing he says is wrong unfortunately. I don't "like" hearing it but it is the truth. I am not worried about him wanting to be better and working hard to be better. I am skeptical that his IQ holds back his major improvement in many areas but I really hope he makes me so wrong about this. I really do want him to be really good if not great.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I am skeptical. He is a sincere kid by all accounts shared with me and wants to be better - the question is does he fully understand the commitment that takes?

Is there any evidence that he doesn't understand the commitment it takes to get better? Between his freshman and sophomore years his foul rate went way down, his offensive rating went up significantly and his block % and rebounding % stayed pretty much the same. Not to mention that he came in as a 3 star recruit and last season he was 2nd in the country in block % and 6th in effective fg %.

He is a bad rebounder for his size, there is not question about that. But to question if he understands the commitment it takes to get better is over the top. We are very lucky to have him.

C

Chief00

Brimah is truly a wonderful kid - so my heart hopes you are right. I think he tries and if he had a more experience Big to learn from in hand to hand combat every day - I would see more hope.
I will always remember what Moses Malone said about The Dream who he battled a few summers in the Houston heat. Moses said 'Me learned em too much" - I wish Brimah had that opportunity to catch up basketball wise.

As for strength - there is much he can do - however even for a basketball player he has such a high center of gravity. His leg length is disproportionate - so he can get boxed out very easily. And even when he does a fundamental box out - at the last second he can be easily moved out of the way. If you stay in the UConn family I think spending some time with Jake would help with rebounding, screens and position defense without fouling.

Reaction Score
Is there any evidence that he doesn't understand the commitment it takes to get better? Between his freshman and sophomore years his foul rate went way down, his offensive rating went up significantly and his block % and rebounding % stayed pretty much the same. Not to mention that he came in as a 3 star recruit and last season he was 2nd in the country in block % and 6th in effective fg %.

He is a bad rebounder for his size, there is not question about that. But to question if he understands the commitment it takes to get better is over the top. We are very lucky to have him.

Agree here, there's a huge difference between commitment and the IQ of the game. I believe he would be a hard working kid from what I can see.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Can someone with insider post some of the article text?

Here's the entire UConn page, not much breaking stuff here.

An index and schedule for the Summer Recruiting Bible series is located HERE.

Scholarship chart
Seniors (4): PF/C Phillip Nolan, SG Omar Calhoun, G Sterling Gibbs, PF Shonn Miller

Juniors (4): SG Rodney Purvis, PF Kentan Facey, G Sam Cassell Jr., C Amida Brimah

Sophomores (2): SF Daniel Hamilton, SF Terry Larrier

Freshmen (2): PG Jalen Adams, C Steven Enoch

Possible early entry losses after next season: Daniel Hamilton, Amida Brimah

Available scholarships for 2016: Five (or six)

Committed prospects for 2016 and beyond: PF Mamadou Diarra (ESPN No. 98, NYC Jayhawks)

Biggest needs for 2016-17: Face-up forward, ballhandling guard, center

Must-haves: PG Alterique Gilbert (No. 23, CP3)

Targets: PG Alterique Gilbert (No. 23, CP3), SF V.J. King (No. 25, Team Takeover), SG Mustapha Heron (No. 26, New Heights), PF Juwan Durham (No. 33, ESPN, Team Breakdown), SG-SF Vance Jackson (No. 34, Dream Vision), SF Mario Kegler (No. 36, MBA Hoops), PF Gorjak Gak (No. 69, Florida Sons), F Wenyen Gabriel (No. 84, Mass Rivals), PF Tyrique Jones (Expressions Elite), SF Brendan Bailey (Dream Vision)

Summer scenario
Kevin Ollie and the Huskies have one open scholarship and will lose four seniors, including the postgrads (Gibbs and Miller) they picked up this offseason. They could also lose Hamilton early to the NBA, but will have VCU transfer Larrier ready to step into that spot if needed. This is a critical class for the Huskies, as it will likely wind up being six players. UConn needs a skilled 4-man, a guard who can play with Jalen Adams (Alterique Gilbert is the priority) and a legitimate big man in case Brimah leaves early.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Whether AB is here 1 or 2 years, we still need a center. I prefer that they overlap a year.
For sure. Mamadou probably won't be ready to start from day 1. I think Enoch moves to center though, he is a massive 17 year old (and growing).

Reaction Score
Brimah is not leaving after next season. And neither is Hamilton. I thought for sure he was after the end of last season but now with Gibbs and Miller on board, a lot of the attention is off of him. Without Gibbs and Miller, Hamilton would have been the focal point of the team and most likely led us in scoring. But now I think he sticks around for his junior year.

Reaction Score
Brimah is not leaving after next season. And neither is Hamilton. I thought for sure he was after the end of last season but now with Gibbs and Miller on board, a lot of the attention is off of him. Without Gibbs and Miller, Hamilton would have been the focal point of the team and most likely led us in scoring. But now I think he sticks around for his junior year.
DHam is the best player on this team, that's not changing. Even if it is a very balanced attack, scouts aren't gonna forget his #'s freshman year. If he improves his shooting and his stats progress the way they should, he'll be a top-10 pick IMO

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why BY'ers don't think a kid who is 6'10", 220lbs or so, with a wingspan over 7ft won't be able to play C minutes for us down the line after Brimah moves on. Enoch can play C just fine, and Diarra should be able to play there as well, I don't really think its a pressing need in this class. Another long/skilled 4 man like Gabriel could slide in right next to them on the frontline.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why BY'ers don't think a kid who is 6'10", 220lbs or so, with a wingspan over 7ft won't be able to play C minutes for us down the line after Brimah moves on. Enoch can play C just fine, and Diarra should be able to play there as well, I don't really think its a pressing need in this class. Another long/skilled 4 man like Gabriel could slide in right next to them on the frontline.

Agreed. Look at teams like MSU, Virginia or Notre Dame this past year. They each had maybe 1 guy that was 6'10" and in the case of Virginia, they had no one over 6'8" that played any significant minutes. Having a 7 footer sitting in the post is a luxury in CBB, not a need

Reaction Score
So to help him (AB) fortify his incipient dbl/dbl season and draft to follow, what BIG BOY camp will he attend?

Reaction Score
So to help him (AB) fortify his incipient dbl/dbl season and draft to follow, what BIG BOY camp will he attend?

Reaction Score
Ok I will put the coach's hat on and be very skeptical that he will show the kind of strength and game improvement you are suggesting. Having said that he did have an injury last summer that prevented serious weight training.

Quite frankly, I am skeptical. He is a sincere kid by all accounts shared with me and wants to be better - the question is does he fully understand the commitment that takes? He is also a smart kid but basketball IQ is difficult to ever develop when someone starts so late - not impossible but less likely.

I know the fan types are going to jump all over these assessments there not rah rah enough. Quite frankly I accept that and I am glad we have fans like that - not everyone needs to understand the game - just enjoy it.

Im just as eager to see his improvement. I didnt suggesthe`d improve by leaps and bounds i just think we`ll see an improvemnt

Im not as skeptical as you but i didnt say how much he`d improve only that i expect improvement.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Here's the entire UConn page, not much breaking stuff here.

An index and schedule for the Summer Recruiting Bible series is located HERE.

Scholarship chart
Seniors (4): PF/C Phillip Nolan, SG Omar Calhoun, G Sterling Gibbs, PF Shonn Miller

Juniors (4): SG Rodney Purvis, PF Kentan Facey, G Sam Cassell Jr., C Amida Brimah

Sophomores (2): SF Daniel Hamilton, SF Terry Larrier

Freshmen (2): PG Jalen Adams, C Steven Enoch

Possible early entry losses after next season: Daniel Hamilton, Amida Brimah

Available scholarships for 2016: Five (or six)

Committed prospects for 2016 and beyond: PF Mamadou Diarra (ESPN No. 98, NYC Jayhawks)

Biggest needs for 2016-17: Face-up forward, ballhandling guard, center

Must-haves: PG Alterique Gilbert (No. 23, CP3)

Targets: PG Alterique Gilbert (No. 23, CP3), SF V.J. King (No. 25, Team Takeover), SG Mustapha Heron (No. 26, New Heights), PF Juwan Durham (No. 33, ESPN, Team Breakdown), SG-SF Vance Jackson (No. 34, Dream Vision), SF Mario Kegler (No. 36, MBA Hoops), PF Gorjak Gak (No. 69, Florida Sons), F Wenyen Gabriel (No. 84, Mass Rivals), PF Tyrique Jones (Expressions Elite), SF Brendan Bailey (Dream Vision)

Summer scenario
Kevin Ollie and the Huskies have one open scholarship and will lose four seniors, including the postgrads (Gibbs and Miller) they picked up this offseason. They could also lose Hamilton early to the NBA, but will have VCU transfer Larrier ready to step into that spot if needed. This is a critical class for the Huskies, as it will likely wind up being six players. UConn needs a skilled 4-man, a guard who can play with Jalen Adams (Alterique Gilbert is the priority) and a legitimate big man in case Brimah leaves early.

Thanks. You were spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET