Summer Concerts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Summer Concerts

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thought I might see you there catching a few winks last night. IIRC Tedeschi Trucks Band puts you to sleep.
The CD I have does.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It was fine last night, not great. Didn't pop for me like the last time they were there. I think I'm done with them live. I wished I went to the Moody Blues.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was fine last night, not great. Didn't pop for me like the last time they were there. I think I'm done with them live. I wished I went to the Moody Blues.
I thought last time was better, too. I will see them live again, but I won't go back to Simsbury unless I am sleeping in the area.

Reaction Score
U2 Joshua Tree was a great show. Going to see it again at Arrowhead in September.

Missed Muse again! But friends got to use my tickets.

Reaction Score
Nice try. I have little to no interest in Bono crooning those dreary, dated hits from Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby was a far, far better album, IMO and for the most part, still holds up.
The analogy was terrible, both things were put in the freezer over 25 years ago and warmed up to capitalize on mature audiences larger wallets. But I think you are wrong in characterizing crooning dated dreariness with Joshua Tree over Achtung Baby.
Let's break it down:
Dated: JTree: Where the Streets Have No Name vs AB-Mysterious Ways
Winner - JTree Streets much better live song, Mysterious Ways doesn't hold up to overplay on radio
Crooning: AB-'One' vs 'With or Without You' from Joshua Tree
Winner - AB 'One' is better IMO, but its close, others particularly those that nonsensically used 'With or Without You' at their weddings might still think that's a love song.
Dreariness: AB-Even Better Than the Real Thing, So Cruel, Trying to Throw your Arms Around the World, Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses' JTree-I Still Haven't Found, Running to Stand Still, God's Country, Red Hill Mining Town
Winner: JTree. This is a slaughter for Joshua Tree over Achtung. All of the Achtung songs are mediocre and dreary whereas the Joshua Tree songs, especially B-side-ish God's, Running, Red Hill are great songs that have crescendo's and rock at certain points.
That's 2/3 for Joshua Tree, it is a less dreary album than Achtung, but
Rock - AB-'Until the End of the World' vs JTree 'Bullet the Blue Sky'
Winner: AB, Until the End of the World might be my favorite U2 song soaring guitar solos. But Bullet is a very strong concert song and always resonates.
The Achtung Baby tour was great back in 90s they picked the best songs and made a cool message concert with a slightly new industrial sound style out of it, but today as a concert onto itself, this album wouldn't be as good as Joshua Tree as more than half the tunes drift into melancholy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nice try. I have little to no interest in Bono crooning those dreary, dated hits from Joshua Tree. Achtung Baby was a far, far better album, IMO and for the most part, still holds up.

You're crazy. I prefer Achtung Baby as well and they played some in the encore but The Joshua Tree is an amazing album. Just to hear The Edge go off during "In God's Country" was worth the price of admission alone.

Reaction Score
The analogy was terrible, both things were put in the freezer over 25 years ago and warmed up to capitalize on mature audiences larger wallets. But I think you are wrong in characterizing crooning dated dreariness with Joshua Tree over Achtung Baby.
Let's break it down:
Dated: JTree: Where the Streets Have No Name vs AB-Mysterious Ways
Winner - JTree Streets much better live song, Mysterious Ways doesn't hold up to overplay on radio
Crooning: AB-'One' vs 'With or Without You' from Joshua Tree
Winner - AB 'One' is better IMO, but its close, others particularly those that nonsensically used 'With or Without You' at their weddings might still think that's a love song.
Dreariness: AB-Even Better Than the Real Thing, So Cruel, Trying to Throw your Arms Around the World, Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses' JTree-I Still Haven't Found, Running to Stand Still, God's Country, Red Hill Mining Town
Winner: JTree. This is a slaughter for Joshua Tree over Achtung. All of the Achtung songs are mediocre and dreary whereas the Joshua Tree songs, especially B-side-ish God's, Running, Red Hill are great songs that have crescendo's and rock at certain points.
That's 2/3 for Joshua Tree, it is a less dreary album than Achtung, but
Rock - AB-'Until the End of the World' vs JTree 'Bullet the Blue Sky'
Winner: AB, Until the End of the World might be my favorite U2 song soaring guitar solos. But Bullet is a very strong concert song and always resonates.
The Achtung Baby tour was great back in 90s they picked the best songs and made a cool message concert with a slightly new industrial sound style out of it, but today as a concert onto itself, this album wouldn't be as good as Joshua Tree as more than half the tunes drift into melancholy.

The Joshua Tree is way more subtle. Red Hill live and Trip Over Wires are great live but not as good recorded.

I skip Mysterious Ways. But I love "The Fly".

Reaction Score
The Joshua Tree is way more subtle. Red Hill live and Trip Over Wires are great live but not as good recorded.

I skip Mysterious Ways. But I love "The Fly".
I love Red Hill on the album as I still hear it as if it is the start of the second side of the vinyl. Among the best first songs on any side 2 ever, just kicks things back into gear with great opening line "From Father to son..." very solid beat that's sounds 'optimistic' to my ear and you are 1000% right that The Edge guitar on it (and/or Gods Country) is the quintessential U2 sound.

Reaction Score
I love Red Hill on the album as I still hear it as if it is the start of the second side of the vinyl. Among the best first songs on any side 2 ever, just kicks things back into gear with great opening line "From Father to son..." very solid beat that's sounds 'optimistic' to my ear and you are 1000% right that The Edge guitar on it (and/or Gods Country) is the quintessential U2 sound.

The guitar from Gods Country, All I Want Is You, and The Fly just melts my face off.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I'm going to U2 at Gillette. Damn those tickets were expensive. I'm hoping to go to Rod Stewart and Cindi Lauper, but might be in Chicago.

ZooCogar, do you go to Bonner Springs? I saw my first Buffett Concert there when it was called Sandstone.

I saw the Grateful dead at sandstone in the 80s. Also the Starlight in KC

Reaction Score
I saw Metallica last Sunday at the new Braves stadium. Their stage is insane. Definitely one of the top 5 shows I've ever been to.

screen-shot-2017-07-10-at-110311-am.png

Reaction Score
I'm going to U2 at Gillette. Damn those tickets were expensive. I'm hoping to go to Rod Stewart and Cindi Lauper, but might be in Chicago.

ZooCogar, do you go to Bonner Springs? I saw my first Buffett Concert there when it was called Sandstone.

Just Starlight, Sporting KC and the Sprint Center.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom