OT: - Suggestions needed on Palo Alto and Pomona | The Boneyard

OT: Suggestions needed on Palo Alto and Pomona

Reaction Score
My younger son and I are off to CA to visit my older son who is out there for an internship. We will also be visiting colleges while we are out there. Pomona is on the list along with Stanford. I haven't been to Palo Alto in ages and I have never been to Pomona. Any suggestions on places to hit out there?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
My younger son and I are off to CA to visit my older son who is out there for an internship. We will also be visiting colleges while we are out there. Pomona is on the list along with Stanford. I haven't been to Palo Alto in ages and I have never been to Pomona. Any suggestions on places to hit out there?
What kind of things are you looking for? To eat? To stay? To play (if so, what kind of things do you like - beaches? mountains? amusement parks?)? How much time do you have in L.A.?

Reaction Score
Pomona? I assume your younger son is interested in Pomona College which, along with Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd, etc, is one of the Claremont Colleges. That's located in Claremont (just a few miles from Pomona), which has a nice little section called Claremont Village with some nice restaurants and shops. There's also Cal Poly Pomona, a mid- to upper-level Cal State University, and Western University for graduate-level health sciences degrees. Honestly, there isn't much in Pomona, the big draw is the LA Fair in September held at the Pomona Fairplex, which also houses the drag raceway. Downtown Pomona is very small. The Glass House in downtown generally has some good bands. Of course, as jleves alluded too, there are lots of fun things to do in the LA area, Huntington Beach, Anaheim Packing District is a nice place to eat, Santa Monica Pier and 3rd street, Old Town Pasadena, the various amusement parks, great hiking (if you like hiking and have the time try "Bridge to Nowhere", get there early), drive up to Malibu, Hollywood for the typical tourist stuff, catch an Angels game (much easier to get to Anaheim (than LA) from the Pomona area,...rent a car and drive (and always check the traffic).

Reaction Score
I hope he has a 35-36 ACT and straight A's his whole life to even be considered for Stanford. My stepdaughter had a 34 ACT, all A's in AP and Honors courses, never had a B in her life, 4 year starter on the state champion volleyball runners up the last two years, President of the Latin Club and a number of others, she was Junior and Senior prom queen in a senior class of 600 students and did not get admitted to Ga. Tech, Emory, UPenn, UVA and MIT. Unless you have a connection or are legacy, forget it these days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Downtown Palo Alto is quite nice. Lots of good restaurants. If you are looking for something interesting you can try Ridge Vineyards in the Santa Cruz mountains above Saratoga. Or from Palo Alto you can take the road across the mountains to Half Moon Bay and then down to Santa Cruz. Watch the surfers for a bit, check out the boardwalk.

Reaction Score
Thanks guys. And, yes, I meant Claremont to visit Pomona, not Pomona itself. I keep messing that up.

So far we have done a few typical things while in LA. We hit Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach and Beverly Hills. That's the kind of stuff we are looking for. We are taking the train up to San Jose and Palo Alto today. We are coming back to LA on Thursday and will hit Claremont on Friday.

Reaction Score
I hope he has a 35-36 ACT and straight A's his whole life to even be considered for Stanford. My stepdaughter had a 34 ACT, all A's in AP and Honors courses, never had a B in her life, 4 year starter on the state champion volleyball runners up the last two years, President of the Latin Club and a number of others, she was Junior and Senior prom queen in a senior class of 600 students and did not get admitted to Ga. Tech, Emory, UPenn, UVA and MIT. Unless you have a connection or are legacy, forget it these days.
Yeah, I know what you are saying. It is a different world today. The plummeting acceptance rates have two reasons. One is accepted and one is rejected due to it being considered racist by some people. The common app has made it too easy to apply to a million schools. Obviously that boosts the number of applications. But it is also true, for top schools, that the increasing number of international applicants has also had a major impact and it is true that most of them are from Asian countries. On top of that, you have a wave of first generation Asian-Americans who are the children of the first big wave of international students that came here 20 or so years ago. In many of these cases, the students represent the top 0.1% of their population which, of course, is huge. The class sizes at the top schools have not increased fast enough to accommodate this massive influx of bright kids so the acceptance rates have plummeted.

Reaction Score
always nice to have a good wet blanket around

Reaction Score
always nice to have a good wet blanket around
Nah, it's all good. I feel his pain. My oldest son got into GTech, Cornell and a few other good schools but didn't get into Harvard. 20 years ago, he would have. 10 years ago, he would have had a good chance. In the end, I am glad he ended up at Cornell. He has had some opportunities that he wouldn't have had at Harvard. Those opportunities opened doors including his internship out in CA this summer. He is also 45 minutes from home instead of 8 hours. That means a lot to me right now because I miss the kid something fierce. Things have a way of working out.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Nah, it's all good. I feel his pain. My oldest son got into GTech, Cornell and a few other good schools but didn't get into Harvard. 20 years ago, he would have. 10 years ago, he would have had a good chance. In the end, I am glad he ended up at Cornell. He has had some opportunities that he wouldn't have had at Harvard. Those opportunities opened doors including his internship out in CA this summer. He is also 45 minutes from home instead of 8 hours. That means a lot to me right now because I miss the kid something fierce. Things have a way of working out.
My eldest son "settled" for Cornell when Princeton by-passed him. He is now a tenured Associate Professor at a fine university and a recognized expert in his field. Cornell ain't a half bad fall back school, a great looking campus and a college is what the student makes of it. Congratulations to you and your family.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I know what you are saying. It is a different world today. The plummeting acceptance rates have two reasons. One is accepted and one is rejected due to it being considered racist by some people. The common app has made it too easy to apply to a million schools. Obviously that boosts the number of applications. But it is also true, for top schools, that the increasing number of international applicants has also had a major impact and it is true that most of them are from Asian countries. On top of that, you have a wave of first generation Asian-Americans who are the children of the first big wave of international students that came here 20 or so years ago. In many of these cases, the students represent the top 0.1% of their population which, of course, is huge. The class sizes at the top schools have not increased fast enough to accommodate this massive influx of bright kids so the acceptance rates have plummeted.

Dude…mi paesano…scusami.

I hope you are aware of how racist your post reads:

…“considered racist by some people”…blah, blah, blah…Asians, Asians, Asians.

Dude, that was some pretty racist SSSHHHH!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Thanks guys. And, yes, I meant Claremont to visit Pomona, not Pomona itself. I keep messing that up.

So far we have done a few typical things while in LA. We hit Santa Monica Pier, Venice Beach and Beverly Hills. That's the kind of stuff we are looking for. We are taking the train up to San Jose and Palo Alto today. We are coming back to LA on Thursday and will hit Claremont on Friday.
Well you picked the hottest days of the year to be here - Congrats on that! 104 tomorrow and Saturday - but hey, it's a dry heat. Don't even think about going to a beach city as it will take you hours with this weather unless you leave before 9am to get there.

One cool place to go is Griffith Observatory. Great, no, amazingly great views of the LA basin from there plus some really interesting science stuff. It's where they filmed the opening scene for Terminator, so that's neat too. If you are coming back to Claremont from there, think about taking a drive up Angeles Crest Highway after dark out of La Canada off the 210 freeway. More amazing views of the LA basin lights about 3 or 4 miles from the freeway. They have huge turnouts where you can park and look at hundreds of square miles of lights.

I highly suggest Walters in Clareville for breakfast. Sit outside and watch the folks walking around. I recommend either the Lamb and Feta omelette or the Ratatouille omelette. You can also try Yannis for dinner. It doesn't get the greatest yelps, but it was a special place to bring a date when I was in college. Get the flaming cheese appetizer (forget what it is called, but they will understand if you say flaming cheese appetizer).

How many more days after Friday will you be in Socal? I can make some other suggestions if you're going to be around for a few days.

Reaction Score
Well you picked the hottest days of the year to be here - Congrats on that! 104 tomorrow and Saturday - but hey, it's a dry heat. Don't even think about going to a beach city as it will take you hours with this weather unless you leave before 9am to get there.

One cool place to go is Griffith Observatory. Great, no, amazingly great views of the LA basin from there plus some really interesting science stuff. It's where they filmed the opening scene for Terminator, so that's neat too. If you are coming back to Claremont from there, think about taking a drive up Angeles Crest Highway after dark out of La Canada off the 210 freeway. More amazing views of the LA basin lights about 3 or 4 miles from the freeway. They have huge turnouts where you can park and look at hundreds of square miles of lights.

I highly suggest Walters in Clareville for breakfast. Sit outside and watch the folks walking around. I recommend either the Lamb and Feta omelette or the Ratatouille omelette. You can also try Yannis for dinner. It doesn't get the greatest yelps, but it was a special place to bring a date when I was in college. Get the flaming cheese appetizer (forget what it is called, but they will understand if you say flaming cheese appetizer).

How many more days after Friday will you be in Socal? I can make some other suggestions if you're going to be around for a few days.

We are here through Sunday afternoon. Then we take the red eye back. Friday is Pomona College day. We may go the Dodgers game after that. Saturday could be a good day for the observatory. Thanks for the suggestions!

Is that 104 for Claremont?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
This thread is an elitist jerkoff.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
My eldest son "settled" for Cornell when Princeton by-passed him. He is now a tenured Associate Professor at a fine university and a recognized expert in his field. Cornell ain't a half bad fall back school, a great looking campus and a college is what the student makes of it. Congratulations to you and your family.

-Cornell '99
-Elitist Jerk-Off

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
This thread is an elitist jerkoff.

I guess that's what smart people are.
But I had three in school at one time for 2 years (rhythm method doesn't work for Jews either) all at expensive schools despite my best efforts to sell UConn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
-Cornell '99
-Elitist Jerk-Off

Cornell, home to Bill Maher, Ann Coulter, Carl Sagan, Ed Marinaro and Cheatin' Sam Pierce, the worst secretary ever of my old agency. HUD. My son graduated in 94. Jerk away.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Cornell, home to Bill Maher, Ann Coulter, Carl Sagan, Ed Marinaro and Cheatin' Sam Pierce, the worst secretary ever of my old agency. HUD. My son graduated in 94. Jerk away.

Don't forget Kurt Vonnegut, Ken Dryden, Janet Reno and either Peter, Paul or Mary -- I forget which one. Big time!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I guess that's what smart people are.
But I had three in school at one time for 2 years (rhythm method doesn't work for Jews either) all at expensive schools despite my best efforts to sell UConn.

Hey, I live in New York. ILR, the Ag School, Human Ecology are state schools for me and my unborn children.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Don't forget Kurt Vonnegut, Ken Dryden, Janet Reno and either Peter, Paul or Mary -- I forget which one. Big time!
It was Peter. But I'd be careful of that one just like Sam Pierce. Peter turns out to have been a bit of a pedophile. My favorite group of all time. Saw them twice, decades apart, and the second time got to meet Peter and Mary who was one hell of a great person.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Hey, I live in New York. ILR, the Ag School, Human Ecology are state schools for me and my unborn children.
My son, too. Ag school in wildlife bio and natural resources. Now a prof at SUNY ESF which, ironically tried to get him away from Cornell as an undergrad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom