Suggested . . . suggested . . .suggested?!?!!! | The Boneyard

Suggested . . . suggested . . .suggested?!?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

A source with knowledge of the meeting, though, said Manuel suggested someone else other than offensive coordinator George DeLeone should call the plays next season.

Hoping it was much much more than a 'suggestion' . . . . I could see this morphing into something beyond insane, like GDL still being OC but PP calling the plays.

To me GDL has to go entirely. No matter what his title is he'll still have coordinator power because of his friendship with PP. Lovely way to create cohesion among the staff, knowing GDL is PP's eyes and ears.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
31291898.jpg

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Suggested?!?!?!?!?!? WTF?!?!?!?!? NOOOOOOOO!!!!! goshdarn it...I WANT TO BE EXCITED FOR 2013!!!!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ship holtz for OC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
People sure don't know how to read between the lines...

WM also said "There weren't any ultimatums or anything like that. I don't manage by threatening." - I'll bet my bottom dollar he was perfectly clear.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1205-20121204,0,7366420.story

I prefer to read between the lines when Jim Delany, Mike Aresco, or anybody talking about conference realignment speaks. When my State U's AD is speaking about our God awful worthless sack of squid testicles OC, I want him to be direct: WM - "There were ultimatums. I told him to fire George or get the out."

Reaction Score
People sure don't know how to read between the lines...

WM also said "There weren't any ultimatums or anything like that. I don't manage by threatening." - I'll bet my bottom dollar he was perfectly clear.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-1205-20121204,0,7366420.story

I can read between the lines. You can read between the lines. Most ppl on this board can. The question now is can PP?
Did Warde make him an offer he couldn't refuse? We'll see.

Reaction Score
I can read between the lines. You can read between the lines. Most ppl on this board can. The question now is can PP?
Did Warde make him an offer he couldn't refuse? We'll see.
Me reading between the lines = us going to the B1G!

Reaction Score
If GDL is still employed here, he will have as much (if not more) influence than whatever hack OC would be stupid enough to come here and work under those circumstances. Might as well carry on as is and clean house 1 year from now. God almighty this just blows beyond belief.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Hoping it was much much more than a 'suggestion' . . . . I could see this morphing into something beyond insane, like GDL still being OC but PP calling the plays.

To me GDL has to go entirely. No matter what his title is he'll still have coordinator power because of his friendship with PP. Lovely way to create cohesion among the staff, knowing GDL is PP's eyes and ears.

So I've thought long and hard about this...issue. I think I've come up with a solution that makes everyone happy, based on what I know. The solution is:

1) Make GDL the Tight Ends Coach
2) Move Foley back to where he once belonged; in charge of the OLine
3) Decide between Foley, Day, or a new person as to whom should be OC.

The reason I am providing this solution is the following:

1) It allows GDL not only to save face but to work in an area where Ryan Griffin himself said that the man excelled
2) It allows PP to show his buddy some loyalty while at the same time making a move that I believe we all see as necessary
3) It re-establishes run blocking philosophies (Foley) that many on the OLine are accustomed to and that have provided thousand-yard rushers every year (Friend, Greene, Bullock, Cruz, etc.).

Will it happen? Who the hell knows. But I think this is the best solution for everyone involved...

Reaction Score
So I've thought long and hard about this...issue. I think I've come up with a solution that makes everyone happy, based on what I know. The solution is:

1) It allows GDL not only to save face but to work in an area where Ryan Griffin himself said that the man excelled
2) It allows PP to show his buddy some loyalty while at the same time making a move that I believe we all see as necessary
3) It re-establishes run blocking philosophies (Foley) that many on the OLine are accustomed to and that have provided thousand-yard rushers every year (Friend, Greene, Bullock, Cruz, etc.).

Will it happen? Who the hell knows. But I think this is the best solution for everyone involved...

This song and dance already played out in Cuse. GDL was no longer the OC. The only problem with that is nobody told P & D. And GDL still called the shots. We are not going to get a competent OC who is going to willingly take this OC job. You think Day or Foley would take that gig? Not a chance.

Is Warde at MSG tonight? Maybe I'll go HFD and stalk him out.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You think Day or Foley would take that gig? Not a chance.

You think Day or Foley WOULDN'T take it??? You think Foley would say, "Yeah, I've been a head coach before, and I used to coach the OLine here really successfully, but I'm just too comfortable in my Tight End Coach's duties to care about becoming OC..."

I clearly don't buy that for one second...

Reaction Score
This song and dance already played out in Cuse. GDL was no longer the OC. The only problem with that is nobody told P & D. And GDL still called the shots. We are not going to get a competent OC who is going to willingly take this OC job. You think Day or Foley would take that gig? Not a chance.

Is Warde at MSG tonight? Maybe I'll go HFD and stalk him out.

He's in the bldg... Go Rogue

Reaction Score
You think Day or Foley WOULDN'T take it??? You think Foley would say, "Yeah, I've been a head coach before, and I used to coach the OLine here really successfully, but I'm just too comfortable in my Tight End Coach's duties to care about becoming OC..."

I clearly don't buy that for one second...

Based on what I've heard.....no chance Foley or Day would take that job if P was still the HC and GDL was still on the staff.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Based on what I've heard.....no chance Foley or Day would take that job if P was still the HC and GDL was still on the staff.

Well, it sounds like you have more specific information than what I do, so I'll concede the point. Is it the fear that GDL will undermine either Foley's or Day's instructions? Or is it just a completely different philosophy in terms of how the offense should be run, and therefore, him being any part of it doesn't make sense?

Reaction Score
Do any of you actually need to solve problems in your jobs? GDL will not be demoted publicly. There is no need to humiliate him and P wouldn't. He will either be running the offense or, after signing day, he will retire (and maybe me moved to another football job in the Dept.). You are going to have to let this play out.

And if GDL is back, at least Manual presumablly told P "if it doesn't look better next year it is entirely your responsibility."

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Do any of you actually need to solve problems in your jobs? GDL will not be demoted publicly. There is no need to humiliate him and P wouldn't. He will either be running the offense or, after signing day, he will retire (and maybe me moved to another football job in the Dept.). You are going to have to let this play out.

And if GDL is back, at least Manual presumablly told P "if it doesn't look better next year it is entirely your responsibility."

I hope the "solving problems in your jobs" comment wasn't directed at me, Biz (and if it wasn't, I apologize in advance). You may be right about what the outcome will be, and I'm sure the Vegas odds would favor that GDL will continue to be the OC. But it's not like what I've offered was out of left field; people get their roles changed in every working situation in America, much less on the offensive side of the ball on a football team! Just ask Coach Foley. The comment is a little "over-the-top", I think...

Reaction Score
I hope the "solving problems in your jobs" comment wasn't directed at me, Biz (and if it wasn't, I apologize in advance). You may be right about what the outcome will be, and I'm sure the Vegas odds would favor that GDL will continue to be the OC. But it's not like what I've offered was out of left field; people get their roles changed in every working situation in America, much less on the offensive side of the ball on a football team! Just ask Coach Foley. The comment is a little "over-the-top", I think...

No. It was a response to thinking Adazzo's record at Temple means he's not a good coach.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No. It was a response to thinking Adazzo's record at Temple means he's not a good coach.

So either you're on the wrong thread or I've just been "punked".....I'm going to go with "punked"....:mad:

Reaction Score
So either you're on the wrong thread or I've just been "punked".....I'm going to go with "punked"....:mad:

oh vey, I need some sleep.

I'm confusing two threads, not you, but my comment was not directed at you but those who wanted to hear Manual say I told P to fire GDL. If that was the message, GDL will be promoted out of coaching or retire.

Reaction Score

Dan that makes perfect sense. Does Ward have the same insight that 90% of the people here do to even allude to something like that? I'm not sure but it's exactly what should be done. He should not be coaching the OL or calling plays. It's not a knowledge issue just an inability to prepare the guys.

Reaction Score

BL, I respectfully disagree - being a coordinator at a big-time (in theory) college football program is not like working at Aetna (or a law office!). Behind all the head coaching changes that are swirling around us today there is another layer of coordinator firings/resignations. Coordinators get cashiered for poor peformance without regard to their feelings or whatever public humiliation they might be subjected to. If Warde is worried about George's feelings the UConn athletic department is in much worse trouble than any of us think. Herbst canned Hathaway with less evidence of poor performance than what the PP/GDL regime.

And as I watch this basketball game I get more pissed thinking that PP is DEFINITELY not being held to the tough standard Warde set for Ollie.

Reaction Score
BL, I respectfully disagree - being a coordinator at a big-time (in theory) college football program is not like working at Aetna (or a law office!). Behind all the head coaching changes that are swirling around us today there is another layer of coordinator firings/resignations. Coordinators get cashiered for poor peformance without regard to their feelings or whatever public humiliation they might be subjected to. If Warde is worried about George's feelings the UConn athletic department is in much worse trouble than any of us think. Herbst canned Hathaway with less evidence of poor performance than what the PP/GDL regime.

And as I watch this basketball game I get more pissed thinking that PP is DEFINITELY not being held to the tough standard Warde set for Ollie.

Professionalism is a bit more than being concerned about someone's feeling.

Reaction Score
Professionalism is a bit more than being concerned about someone's feeling. If your postings at a true representation of your personality - you must be a joy to work with.

Aha, the personal shot! Great way to rebut the argument. Guess Sue H is an too for letting JH go. God forbid highly-paid people in public positions are held to any kind of standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom