Sue on why UConn | The Boneyard

Sue on why UConn

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
A Stanford degree crushes a UConn one, tho.

Bury this thread quick!!

Reaction Score
Don't bury it. I think it is the perfect advice in the end. Follow your heart. Everyone wins in this situation. Being where your heart sings is where greatness happens. Sue is clearly a testament to that.

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
If Seattle residents were asked to name their current favorite athlete, would Sue beat Russell? I'm guessing both would finish behind Ken Griffey, Jr., in an all-time poll, though.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If Seattle residents were asked to name their current favorite athlete, would Sue beat Russell? I'm guessing both would finish behind Ken Griffey, Jr., in an all-time poll, though.

No, and it wouldn't be remotely close. There are Seahawks jerseys and paraphernalia EVERYWHERE in the Puget Sound area. Seeing Storm gear by comparison is relatively rare. The Hawks are more popular than the Storm by many orders of magnitude.

Reaction Score
I love the younger Sue who chose UConn. The adult Sue who prefers Stanford broke my heart. My kids graduated from UConn. We spent 7 years paying tuition and commuting to UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love the younger Sue who chose UConn. The adult Sue who prefers Stanford broke my heart. My kids graduated from UConn. We spent 7 years paying tuition and commuting to UConn.
Not really what she said, though. I think what she was saying is that there are a lot of logical reasons why Stanford is a good choice, particularly as to climate. She’s not wrong. She also says that unequivocally UConn made her the person she is. I don’t think she regrets the choice in the least. Undoubtedly it was the right one for her.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I think Sue knows what the whole world knows and that Palo Alto is a more enticing destination than Storrs. Nothing like a few nor’easters to cement that...

Geno would even say that if you’re picking a school based on pleasant weather, UConn isn’t at the top of your list

However, she also seems steadfast in her decision to follow her heart and go to UConn.

Reaction Score
I think Sue knows what the whole world knows and that Palo Alto is a more enticing destination than Storrs. Nothing like a few nor’easters to cement that...

Geno would even say that if you’re picking a school based on pleasant weather, UConn isn’t at the top of your list

However, she also seems steadfast in her decision to follow her heart and go to UConn.
there are probably a minimum of fifty schools that have superior academic, climate or social/cultural advantages to UConn but how many of those schools have the quality of coaching and fantastic crowd support that UConn WBB has? The very best players that have a solid chance and the desire to play pro ball know UConn is akin to Harvard, Princeton and MIT for those looking for a career in basketball......

Reaction Score
Poor Sue suffering with a UConn degree. It is the person, not the sheepskin.

Agree 100%, I realize it is a so small a sample size as to be not even negligible but I have hired 3 Ivy League graduates and two of them were big mistakes; smart yes, an understanding and application of a business work ethic, no. Not generalizing, just agreeing it is the person.

Reaction Score
Follow your heart...also said as an adult, she would rather go to Stanford

I for one am getting a little sick and tired of people taking shots at Storrs and UConn. Especially from a Hall of Fame type alum.
She should say that she had a magical 4 years and that Storrs and Uconn is a special place, which it is, especially for women's bball players. The whole combined package is amazing. Wow, Stanford has great weather. Who gives a crap. You're in class and on the court. You're working. You want to enjoy weather, go retire there when you're done. Uconn and Geno/Chris helped set her up better than any place could.

This repeated less than positive talk about Uconn / Storrs is getting really old. Uconn is a great school and it carries its own academic weight. Doesn't need to be Stanford. Its no academic lightweight. A Top 25 Public University.

If these people don't have positive things to say then don't say anything. Do you see Russell bashing Wisconsin? Its a State U and as cold or colder than Uconn. Is he basing NCST? NO!

These players / alumns should give back, even if only verbally, to the school / staff that gave them so much.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Follow your heart...also said as an adult, she would rather go to Stanford

No, she did not say that she would rather go to Stanford. She said that she would rather live there today, that there's nothing going on in Storrs.

Reaction Score
Sure Storrs may not have much but its not that far from historic Boston, New York, Philadelphia, etc. plenty to do and see there.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
OK. I have read every post on this thread and my take away is balderdash! Every school has something to offer or it would not exist. I categorically refuse to believe that a grad from Stanford is any smarter than a grad from anywhere else. The school does not make a person anything other than what the person takes away from the program. If your priority is to gaze at a flippin palm tree, God help you, reality will be a real bite. There are 3 people in our family with advanced degrees from {elite} institutions 2 from Yale and one from Stanford, all 3 are so narrow focused they need someone to tilt their heads down when it rains, or they are in danger of drowning. Adversely two of the smartest people I know barely made it out of high school. Both of them are at the top of their fields, highly successful.
Yes brilliant people go to every school, Did Sue hurt UCONN no not if you have a brain. I'm starting to talk in circles therefore it must be Sunday. Take care.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom