Sue makes it official: Her Final Year [merged threads] | The Boneyard

Sue makes it official: Her Final Year [merged threads]

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20220616-115722_Instagram.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I loved Diana Taurasi‘s comment during the Bird/Tarausi commentary for the final four. It went something like Diana saying “I thought I had gotten your final jersey, now what am I gonna do with it? It’s worthless. I guess I could use it to dry the car or something.”

Now, that’s a paraphrase, from memory, but what I loved about it is it shows the great relationship between the two of them.

Sue has had an outstanding career. I’m glad that she’s able to go out on her own terms while she is still on top of her game.

Reaction Score
Simply one of the best. I didn't get to catch her during the 8 games of her freshman year at UConn but after I saw her during her sophomore year against UT in Knoxville I knew she was special. She's always been the consummate professional and her skill and drive are to be respected and admired.

It's been a pleasure to watch her career. I will always be a fan of the player and also the person.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I am so excited to be going to the game on Friday.
Catch one of her remaining games this season if you can. Unless she does a Tom Brady (decides to unretire after a month) she rides off into the sunset at the end of the season to pursue a new career, probably in broadcast media.

I would be surprised if she goes into coaching, but you never know. Someone may make her a “Godfather” offer. :)

One thing we do know, she's not going to do nothing post retirement. She’ll have lots of options. Like William Barkley “Bat” Masterson, she became a legend in her own time.

Anybody care to guess how long it will take the Storm to retire her jersey number?

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Sue is one of the greatest of all time. Always a fan, though not always rooting for her against Rutgers or against certain teams in the WNBA.

I don't think many will deny she was the greatest point guard of her era. And her leadership with USA Basketball was top notch.

Reaction Score
I don't think many will deny she was the greatest point guard of her era. And her leadership with USA Basketball was top notch.
Dawn Staley was rightly considered the best PG before Bird. Dawn was great but Bird eclipsed her career and then some. Sue has a gift. Very, very few have it. USA basketball will miss her steady hand and calming influence.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Per Voepel's expansive range of tribute, I hope Sue Bird finds a way to stay connected to the sport, whether it be coaching, administration, announcing or "just being Sue." Her knowledge and drive for the game, plus her charisma and ability to get along with others, is a potent tool box for success --- for the entire sporting wold.

Look forward to the next step.

Reaction Score
The mark that Sue has made can not be erased. Many thanks for the memories.

Reaction Score
Sad, but it had to end sooner or later. Happy it was "later".

Reminds of a Blood, Sweat, and Tears song: "when I die and when I'm gone there'll be one child born to carry on, to carry on". Maybe some kid named Paige will carry on.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom