Sue Herbst to amp up efforts to woo B1G money donors | The Boneyard

Sue Herbst to amp up efforts to woo B1G money donors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Emory Univ. had the benefit of a lot of Coke money over the years, but I hope he can pull it off.

Reaction Score
Great read. I knew Herbst knew what she was doing when she hired Newton. All of this makes sense and I'm excited to see where Herbst and Newton take this thing.

Reaction Score
Sounds like this dude Emory knows how to party. If we can get him to donate his Coke money...or at least, if we can get him to curtail the habit.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Technically it's already paid for itself, but the minute she hosts a high end function there and elicits a 7 figure (or more) donation, it'll be reaping benefits. Excellent strategic move. I wonder if they would do something similar in, say, Stamford. Though there's only so many nights she spends away from campus, I would assume.

Reaction Score
I love this move, the thing that gets me though is the ever constant resistance from a portion of the UConn community/CT tax payers. As an alum I want UConn to be big time in everything. (Based on things she can control, not CR) Herbst has been great for this school but at every step there is always a small contingent with some idiotic outcry about spending tax dollars (i.e:the "not a dime back" rant, the "lets shut down football school of thought".)

I want UConn to be mentioned with Virginia, Michigan and UCLA and it is just frustrating that there is always push back as if the school should cut back and settle for being W. Virginia.

Reaction Score
I love this move, the thing that gets me though is the ever constant resistance from a portion of the UConn community/CT tax payers. As an alum I want UConn to be big time in everything. (Based on things she can control, not CR) Herbst has been great for this school but at every step there is always a small contingent with some idiotic outcry about spending tax dollars (i.e:the "not a dime back" rant, the "lets shut down football school of thought".)

I want UConn to be mentioned with Virginia, Michigan and UCLA and it is just frustrating that there is always push back as if the school should cut back and settle for being W. Virginia.

Definitely agree on all fronts. Some people don't understand basic economic and business principles/ practices. The most successful non-profits are the ones that invest a lot of money from donors. For example, would you rather support a charity that has 0% of donations as overhead and raises $14 million or a charity that has 40% in overhead, but raises $110 million. If the goal is to raise the most net money, than clearly the second option is better.

I think what people have to come to grips with is that UConn Storrs is becoming an alternative to elite private schools. therefore, as long as the price is quite a bit lower than elite private schools, than it is fine. I agree that it is a good idea to keep some state Universities with as low tuition rates as possible, but that does not apply to UConn Storrs. If an individual or their child thinks that the cost of attendance is too high, than go to a different state school or go to a private school that gives lots of scholarship money. Or better yet, work your butt off to get an academic scholarship to UConn Storrs.

Reaction Score

The public institutions, especially in the Northeast, have had to fight a private institution bias forever. Those days have come to an end. SH's action is assuring us of that!

While the Ivies and NESCAC schools don't have to worry, other expensive private institutions in the Northeast are weary of UConn's academic growth in last 20 years. The truth is that the ascendency of UConn has become a direct threat to the over-priced, second tier private institutions in the Northeast. It is schools like UConn that keep the Syracuse Chancellor up late at night trying to figure out how to justify charging 2.5 times what UConn costs at a lower ranked school. Everything SH has done and plans to do to enhance to stature and visibility of our great institution is fine with me. It's time for UConn to be recognized in the public institution elite category.

Reaction Score
Josh Newton, the UConn Foundation’s new president, told the Courant that when he was vice president for development at Emory University in Atlanta they raised $1.7 billion over a seven year period. Over that same seven years, the UConn foundation raised $405 million.
“We’re more than a billion behind, so they need to step it up and they need to do the things that are going to allow them to step it up,” Malloy said pointing to difference in fundraising between Emory and UConn.
He said he has high expectations for the university and wants it to become one of the top 10 public research universities in the country.

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.ph...conn_foundation_purchase_of_fundraising_home/

Reaction Score
Josh Newton, the UConn Foundation’s new president, told the Courant that when he was vice president for development at Emory University in Atlanta they raised $1.7 billion over a seven year period. Over that same seven years, the UConn foundation raised $405 million.
“We’re more than a billion behind, so they need to step it up and they need to do the things that are going to allow them to step it up,” Malloy said pointing to difference in fundraising between Emory and UConn.
He said he has high expectations for the university and wants it to become one of the top 10 public research universities in the country.

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.ph...conn_foundation_purchase_of_fundraising_home/

All things I love hearing.

Reaction Score
All things I love hearing.
Have we not learned our lesson from Louisville? One can be the top public research university with the smartest students, but still be left in the AAC. It makes no difference. TV sets make a difference. A smart AD makes a difference. Money to a TV network makes a difference. What conference is Emory in? This is a bunch of bull.

Reaction Score

Don't mock WVU. They are in a power conference. UConn is not. They had the ability to move ahead. UConn sat back and watched.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Have we not learned our lesson from Louisville? One can be the top public research university with the smartest students, but still be left in the AAC. It makes no difference. TV sets make a difference. A smart AD makes a difference. Money to a TV network makes a difference. What conference is Emory in? This is a bunch of bull.

UConn is short for the University of Connecticut.

Unfortunately, that implies there is a university attached to our sports program and that's kinda why they're trying to raise the endowment.

You're a blithering moron.

Oh, and a troll...

Reaction Score
Don't mock WVU. They are in a power conference. UConn is not. They had the ability to move ahead. UConn sat back and watched.

Not Mocking WVU's spot in the Big 12, just pointing out that many other state schools do not have a sufficient investment/vision for ACADEMICS. I applaud SH's long term goals and I think all CT residents/UConn alumni/UConn fans should be all in on UConn being one of the top institutions (academically and athletically) in the nation.

Btw, how many WVU freshman would get rejected from UConn? ...Lets just hope that number continues to rise.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The only way you'd get to a UConn graduation is if you bought a ticket.

Reaction Score

Endowments kind of matter. Let's see, if Harvard can muster a 5% return on their nearly $31 Billion endowment that works out to approximately $1.54 Billion. So, in 3 days they net the ACC's TV deal. . .You mentioned TV sets make a difference—$1.54 Billion gets you 1,925,000 46" flat screens of reasonable quality from a big box retailer. . .

Reaction Score
I have a good friend here in Bham who is a BC grad, (does this make me persona non grata)? He sent me an article today from the NY Times about Peter Lynch and his wife as philanthropists. In it there is mention of their giving $20 million to the BC school of Education for a single program. Can anyone tell me if they know of similar gifts to UConn? I would like to have something for a comeback.

Reaction Score
BC has an endowment of over $1.6 billion. We've never had a donor donate that much, but a day may come one day such happens.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Can anyone tell me if they know of similar gifts to UConn? I would like to have something for a comeback.

The state of Connecticut just agreed to donate about $1,500,000,000.

So you win.

Although do be magnanimous and acknowledge that their donation was really a sweet little story.

Reaction Score
The state of Connecticut just agreed to donate about $1,500,000,000.

So you win.

Although do be magnanimous and acknowledge that their donation was really a sweet little story.

Thanks, I tried that when it was announced a couple of months ago. I pushed it hard but to be honest a bunch of politicians allowing us to charge $1.5 Billion over 10 years on the taxpayer credit card is not quite the same. Don't get me wrong it's big money but it is not their money.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We got like a $150M software grant from EDS ten years ago, the Neags gave $20M plus to the school of ed....

You know, just let me argue with your friend instead.

Reaction Score
We got like a $150M software grant from EDS ten years ago, the Neags gave $20M plus to the school of ed....

You know, just let me argue with your friend instead.
$21 million. Forgot about that. I agree, you argue with the friend and let him know belong fit in the ACC! I don't find BC people saying they don't want us in the ACC.

The ACC definitely has better football recruiting than the B1G. Hard to believe how much things have changed. Adding Pitt and Syracuse adds old championships to the conference's overall count. Syracuse is recruiting much, much, much better in the ACC now. Two 4-star QB recruits in the same class. I am convinced the ACC is a better option than the B1G now even though we fit in better with the B1G.

http://www.uconn.edu/donors.php

We are aiming VERY high. I cannot see how we'll be left behind in the future of BCS football. (Committee of 13 football, soon.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104