Sue Bird: WNBA Career Assist Record | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sue Bird: WNBA Career Assist Record

Reaction Score
assistsseason.jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As a bonus, we got Bird at the Buzzer. She drained a 3-pointer at the end of the half to tie the game. That's 11 points and 6 assists in the half.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This belongs in the "WNBA is underrated" thread. Washington won 110-106 in OT is a well-played and exciting game. Sue had 19 points on 4-6 from the arc, 13 assists, and 0 turnovers. In every stoppage, she was directing her teammates.

Seattle had all 5 starters plus Carolyn Swords in double figures. For the Mystics, EDD had a career-high 37, and Emma Meesseman had 27.

I believe this is the likely 5 v. 8 matchup in another week or so.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue has 5,840 career points. With her next bucket, she'll pass Becky Hammon for 8th all-time. Next year, she should pass Lauren Jackson and maybe Lisa Leslie. She could finish at #5 all-time. Of course, Tina, Maya, and Elena could pass her in time. EDD was recognized for 2,500 career points last night.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
To put Bird's accomplishment in perspective a bit - Penachiro was a true PG - dish assists but rarely score. She had 15 years in the league and scored 2,747 points, just over 6 PPG for her career. Sue has just passed her assist mark of 2,599 IN her 15th season (still more to go), but her scoring is literally just over twice what Ticha's was - 5,840 points over her career or 12.2 PPG.

Sue is #8 in the all time scoring list, and if she scores approx 400 points a season, she'd be close to #5 Katie Smith by the end of next season. 2 more seasons in the WNBA would put her past Cappie at #4 all time behind Dee, Tina, and Catch. People don't really ever talk about her as one of the greatest of all time, just the greatest PG of all time, but if her career points ends up in the 6,600 range, with literally 1,000 career assists more than Dee, how can you NOT discuss her as one of the GOAT's?

IMHO people tend to discuss Dee, Stewie, and Maya as the GOAT's with Tina, Sue, and maybe a few other Huskies at the next level down. IMHO Sue needs to "get her due" and be in the mix of the UCONN GOAT's...

I do believe that Sue will last 3 more seasons and retire the same season as the 2020 Olympics and go out with 1 more gold medal (assuming USA wins it). That gives her 3 seasons more in the W - but I don't see her catching or passing Catch at 7,380 career points.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The UConn Connection: Sue Bird Sets WNBA Career Assist Record

"As Bird was marching toward the assist mark, she pointed out to Auriemma that his program would soon have alumni atop two marquee statistical lists. Auriemma took it a step further: Bird and Taurasi weren't just alumni and teammates, they formed a backcourt for the ages.

"I mean, maybe it's not unusual for a school to have one," he said. "Maybe it's not unusual for a school to have both. But it's pretty damn amazing to have them both in the same backcourt at the same time." ....

"When you look back, did I know when we were recruiting Sue Bird that we were getting the greatest point guard ever?" Auriemma said. "No. I mean, when we were recruiting Diana, I knew we were getting something special. I knew we were getting something that had never come around before. But when we were recruiting Sue, she was much more under the radar, she was much more of a good player who was a lot better than people thought. We always knew she was going to be really, really good."

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Congrats to Sue on her accomplishment!

A bit OT, but in the same season Bird set the career assists record, Vandersloot just set a new mark for single season highest assists per game at 8.1.

edited--Sloot doesn't have the highest total # of assists for a season because she missed a handful of games to start the season

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats to Sue on her accomplishment!

A bit OT, but in the same season Bird set the career assists record, Vandersloot just set a new mark for single season highest assists per game at 8.1.

edited--Sloot doesn't have the highest total # of assists for a season because she missed a handful of games to start the season
And Jonquel set a record for total rebounds. Records set this year:

Diana, most points in a career

Diana, most 3-pointers in a career

Sue, most assists in a career

Jonquel, most rebounds in a season

Sloot, most assists per game in a season

Historic season!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics