Sue Bird: WNBA Career Assist Record | The Boneyard

Sue Bird: WNBA Career Assist Record

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sue is getting closer to Ticha Penichiero's career WNBA assist record. The Storm have 5 more games in the regular season.

Penichiero: 2599
Bird (current): 2580

Reaction Score
Amazing. Look forward to the milestone. Having said that, there are other emerging greats on the assist list. Courtney van der Sloot is an amazing talent, and leading the league. Clarendon is second, and also enormously talented.

Great to see Sue Bird reaching this accomplishment knowing that her competition has been so tremendous.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue is averaging about 6.5 per game, third in the league. I think 3 games will do it--the first player to record 2,600 regular season assists!

Sue is also distancing herself from Lindsay Whalen, who is stuck on 2,249 while out with a hand injury. That gap of 331 is about 1.5 WNBA seasons or more. Among active players, Diana trails Sue by 900+, and Cappie is over 1,000 behind. This record may last for a while. Among active players, Sloot has 1,078, so she needs maybe 10 more seasons.

Reaction Score
A couple of years ago I was standing in line behind T. Pinichiero at Dunkin' Donuts opposite the XL Center (she was scouting AAC talent for a WNBA team) and I said hi and I loved "her game"! She smiled and we talked briefly about present PG's. She didn't think her assist record would last too long with the talent out there closing in!
Very nice lady!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Add 8 assists to Sue's career total after yesterday's game against Chicago.

Penichiero 2599
Sue Bird 2588

Eleven to tie and 12 to set the new WNBA assist record. The Storm play Wednesday at Atlanta and then at home next Sunday against Diana and the Mercury. It would be great if Sue were to tie and set the new record in front of Storm fans and while sharing the court with the other half of the best backcourt in the history of the game.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For those curious, how do they compare on assists per game or better , assists per 40 minutes? Assists / TO ratio ?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Penchiero averaged 5.7 assists per game while Sue averages 5.5 assists per game. Both players average(d) 2.5 turnovers per game. Sue will be setting the record in 20+ more games.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Penchiero averaged 5.7 assists per game while Sue averages 5.5 assists per game. Both players average(d) 2.5 turnovers per game. Sue will be setting the record in 20+ more games.

Thanks. This spurred me on to look at the records for all time for all players

For assists per game

WNBA Career Leaders and Records for Assists Per Game | Basketball-Reference.com

Assist %

WNBA Career Leaders and Records for Assist Pct | Basketball-Reference.com

Nice advanced stats also available at

WNBA Leaders and Records Index | Basketball-Reference.com

Reaction Score
Thanks. This spurred me on to look at the records for all time for all players

For assists per game

WNBA Career Leaders and Records for Assists Per Game | Basketball-Reference.com

Assist %

WNBA Career Leaders and Records for Assist Pct | Basketball-Reference.com

Nice advanced stats also available at

WNBA Leaders and Records Index | Basketball-Reference.com

While Pinichiero is close on assists per game, and leads slightly on total assists, Sue Bird has scored more than 3,000 points more than Pinichiero. So on assists plus points scored, Sue Bird is light years ahead. Curiously, on that combined metric, Lindsey Whalen is not that far behind.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
While Pinichiero is close on assists per game, and leads slightly on total assists, Sue Bird has scored more than 3,000 points more than Pinichiero. So on assists plus points scored, Sue Bird is light years ahead. Curiously, on that combined metric, Lindsey Whalen is not that far behind.

Not to be repetitive but how do they compare in ppg (or points / 40 minutes) ?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The WNBA has been promoting the record chase on twitter with video from draft day 2002.

Doris's remarks after Seattle's pick were on the money: "I think two things make her exceptional. Number 1 she's a scoring point guard. She can give you help putting points on the scoreboard. And number 2 she's got the temperament, the presence and the personality to lead; people will follow Sue Bird."

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So proud of Sue. It's an amazing accomplishment, but even more so given that Ticha was NOT a scoring PG. Over 15 seasons, Ticha averaged 6.1 PPG, 5.7 APG, 3.3 RPG and 1.7 SPG. Sue has averaged (over 14.5 seasons) 12.2 PPG, 5.6 APG, 2.6 RPG and 1.3 SPG.

While Ticha averaged slightly more rebounds and steals per game, Sue's scoring was literally twice as prolific as Ticha's. AND she has managed to catch Ticha's total assists in slightly less time. What a tremendous accomplishment for the greatest PG to ever play the game...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue didn't quite get there last night, as everyone other than Jewell was cold. Next game for Sue!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wanted to see Sue tie and break the record at home but it was not to be. The Storm next play Friday evening at Washington and Sue needs 2 assists to tie and 3 assists to set the new record.

Penichiero 2599
Bird 2597

Jim Fuller posted a story about Sue and Diana on the verge of holding the two most cherished individual records in WNBA history:

Bird on verge of joining Taurasi as WNBA career leader

Think about that for a minute — two players from the same college backcourt holding two of the most cherished individual milestones in WNBA history.

“To have the two of them be in the same backcourt and then be together for four Olympic gold medals, knock on wood if Sue breaks the record, I’ve always said that backcourt in 2002 was the best backcourt in the history of women’s college basketball, pro basketball, any kind of basketball,” Auriemma said. “I said time will prove that and it certainly has."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I wanted to see Sue tie and break the record at home but it was not to be. The Storm next play Friday evening at Washington and Sue needs 2 assists to tie and 3 assists to set the new record.

Penichiero 2599
Bird 2597

Jim Fuller posted a story about Sue and Diana on the verge of holding the two most cherished individual records in WNBA history:

Bird on verge of joining Taurasi as WNBA career leader

Think about that for a minute — two players from the same college backcourt holding two of the most cherished individual milestones in WNBA history.

“To have the two of them be in the same backcourt and then be together for four Olympic gold medals, knock on wood if Sue breaks the record, I’ve always said that backcourt in 2002 was the best backcourt in the history of women’s college basketball, pro basketball, any kind of basketball,” Auriemma said. “I said time will prove that and it certainly has."
Ooooh! Thanks! I didn't realize that was the Storm's next game. I missed Maya again this season because of a trip, but I marked this game on my calendar back in May. I'll be there to support Sue, Stewie, and Kaleena. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
It is not surprising that 2 of the greatest at their positions both played at UCONN! With their peers and superior coaching staff it fostered a pursuit of excellence at everything they did on a BB court!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford is in the house.

Feed Stewie early and often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members