Sue and Dee weren't satisfied with USA Basketball's schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sue and Dee weren't satisfied with USA Basketball's schedule

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It needs to be based on who's the best at the time the team is finalized, unlike the last time when Parker was omitted. She gave the best performance in 2012, returned in 2016 as an even better player, and was inexplicably not included.

Here we go. No, Parker was not the best in 2012. She tanked against Australia in the semi-finals. The Selection Committee remembered.

BTW, Team USA was absolutely fabulous without Parker in 2016. Best performance ever and no drama. See post #4 in this thread.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I don't agree with simply stepping aside, but if they are no longer the best at their positions, there should be no loyalty just because you were there before. Neither are playing and others are currently putting up stats. All players should be selected based on where their games stand now and next season. It should be required that a player is actively playing. If injured now, they should be playing at full go when the teams are selected. There's too much talent across the league to make selections based on loyalty

There is not one person who is suggesting that selection to the team be based on loyalty rather than picking the players who give USA BB the best chance to win Gold. But thanks. We'll be on the lookout for that.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
There is not one person who is suggesting that selection to the team be based on loyalty rather than picking the players who give USA BB the best chance to win Gold. But thanks. We'll be on the lookout for that.

Best Players = Best to Win Gold...it's not like some other country is going to beat the best of the USA.

This formula has never failed, so why divert with a play on words...(best chance to win Gold = LMAO)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And that best was from 4 years ago. How will the players mentioned be when they return from injury? It needs to be based on who's the best at the time the team is finalized, unlike the last time when Parker was omitted. She gave the best performance in 2012, returned in 2016 as an even better player, and was inexplicably not included. The same for Nneka, who was the league MVP in the same year she wasn't selected for the Olympics. They must do better at selecting those deserving and playing the best, not loyalty, not popularity, and certainly not because of "connections". As Agler said, basketball decisions need to be about basketball.
Here's some cheese to go with that.

how-to-buy-veg-friendly-cheesejpg.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
when Parker was omitted. She gave the best performance in 2012, returned in 2016 as an even better player, and was inexplicably not included.
Oh there was an explanation.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Best Players = Best to Win Gold...it's not like some other country is going to beat the best of the USA.

This formula has never failed, so why divert with a play on words...(best chance to win Gold = LMAO)

LOL. Now you're not even making sense. Besides, you're stuck in history. We're talking 2020 and you're stuck in 2016. Let it go.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
LOL. Now you're not even making sense. Besides, you're stuck in history. We're talking 2020 and you're stuck in 2016. Let it go.

It's called referencing the history in hopes of never repeating past failures. It's a failure to not put forth the absolute best players. Putting the best out on the court will equate to growth in the game. The game still needs growth. The best way to do that is give many fan bases a reason to watch. If the roster includes players like Wilson (if healthy), Arike O, Lloyd, or Skylar Diggins (if healthy), Nneka O, Chelsea Gray...this will equate to a team that represents many other successful universities and that means more viewership.

Certainly, you are not arguing that including these players would equate to losing. You also can't argue that viewership is not important for the sport.

Last edited:

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Oh there was an explanation.

Actually, there wasn't. There were countless articles by the press asking for answers and they never received them. You can go back to 2016 archives for the validity of this fact. I was told to not go back in history, so I'll have to leave that up to you.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's called referencing the history in hopes of never repeating past failures. It's a failure to not put forth the absolute best players. Putting the best out on the court will equate to growth in the game. The game still needs growth. The best way to do that is give many fan bases a reason to watch. If the roster includes players like Wilson (if healthy), Arike O, Lloyd, or Skylar Diggins (if healthy), Nneka O, Chelsea Gray...this will equate to a team that represents many other successful universities and that means more viewership.

Certainly, you are not arguing that including these players would equate to losing. You also can't argue that viewership is important for the sport.

There was no failure. Period. The 2016 Olympic team was the best ever. I have no idea what you're talking about.

The Olympic games never lack for viewership so again I have no idea what you're talking about.
Although I have never attended an Olympics I have personally attended 2 FIBA World Championships -- Istanbul (2014) and Tenerife (2018). I've seen first hand the pressure that comes with winning those games and how some players are not ready for the moment. Examples include Stewart and Sims in 2014, Wilson, Plum/Clarendon in 2018. That is why USA BB goes with the players it trusts and who know what it takes to win in that environment. USA BB knows what it is doing.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Actually, there wasn't. There were countless articles by the press asking for answers and they never received them. You can go back to 2016 archives for the validity of this fact. I was told to not go back in history, so I'll have to leave that up to you.

Actually there was an explanation. Carol Callan explained. She referenced Australia.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And that best was from 4 years ago. How will the players mentioned be when they return from injury? It needs to be based on who's the best at the time the team is finalized, unlike the last time when Parker was omitted. She gave the best performance in 2012, returned in 2016 as an even better player, and was inexplicably not included. The same for Nneka, who was the league MVP in the same year she wasn't selected for the Olympics. They must do better at selecting those deserving and playing the best, not loyalty, not popularity, and certainly not because of "connections". As Agler said, basketball decisions need to be about basketball.

How was the committee in April 2016 supposed to know that Nneka would be the league MVP in a season that hadn't taken place yet?

Next time you'll have to let them use your oracle, oh all-knowing Cassandra.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
How was the committee in April 2016 supposed to know that Nneka would be the league MVP in a season that hadn't taken place yet?

Next time you'll have to let them use your oracle, oh all-knowing Cassandra.

Nneka was terrific in Istanbul in 2014 and many of us hoped she'd make the 2016 Olympic team. It's been suggested that Catchings was taken over Nneka.

Nneka didn't pout though. She tried out and made the roster for the world championships in 2018. She didn't have a particularly strong tournament in Tenerife but I do expect she'll make a strong case for the Olympic team next year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So you think that happened randomly?

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Here we go. No, Parker was not the best in 2012. She tanked against Australia in the semi-finals. The Selection Committee remembered.

BTW, Team USA was absolutely fabulous without Parker in 2016. Best performance ever and no drama. See post #4 in this thread.

LMAO...so now you're a member of the selection committee. I can't say what I want to say because I'm in your house right now. However, I will say this. EVERY USA TEAM has done well and the best performance goes back to the team with LLL and Swoopes.

Had Parker been on the 2016 team, then yeah, it could have been the best ever. Was I upset? Yes and were other fans upset? Yes and no, this was not just TN fans. Many felt as if we were being cheated out of seeing the best possible performance. Me personally, I have never seen a performance like that France Gold Medal game. It was a thing of beauty and she had yet to peak in 2012.

My hope is that the youngsters coming along are never cheated out of those type of moments. I've heard about the struggles of getting the youth girls to play the sport. Top players, all of them, bring attention and desire to play the sport.

As for drama, unless you were there, you have no idea what drama there was or who caused such drama. Again, I'm not allowed to speak to that here. I do, however, know what players from the 2012 team roster stated and some of those players had an outcry of support for Candace. I also know that more don't speak out for fear of getting snubbed themselves.

Meantime, Dawn, who was affiliated with those teams and knows that history well, did reach out to Candace to get her to come back to Team USA for this upcoming 2020 Olympics. Parker declined. So if Parker was so full of drama, why did Dawn want her back?

And no, you don't have to agree with me, but I know what I know.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Nneka was terrific in Istanbul in 2014 and many of us hoped she'd make the 2016 Olympic team. It's been suggested that Catchings was taken over Nneka.

Nneka didn't pout though. She tried out and made the roster for the world championships in 2018. She didn't have a particularly strong tournament in Tenerife but I do expect she'll make a strong case for the Olympic team next year.

Unlike Candace, Nneka wasn't a 2 time WNBA MVP and returning Olympic member that was used for Team USA promotional purposes leading up to the games. Any one under those circumstances would have been disappointed. So now someone who's disappointed is a pouter? If it wasn't such a snub, the media outcry would not have been so vast.

As for Nneka, I hope she gets the chance she so richly deserved the last time around.

Plebe

Reaction Score
LMAO...so now you're a member of the selection committee. I can't say what I want to say because I'm in your house right now. However, I will say this. EVERY USA TEAM has done well and the best performance goes back to the team with LLL and Swoopes.

Had Parker been on the 2016 team, then yeah, it could have been the best ever. Was I upset? Yes and were other fans upset? Yes and no, this was not just TN fans. Many felt as if we were being cheated out of seeing the best possible performance. Me personally, I have never seen a performance like that France Gold Medal game. It was a thing of beauty and she had yet to peak in 2012.

My hope is that the youngsters coming along are never cheated out of those type of moments. I've heard about the struggles of getting the youth girls to play the sport. Top players, all of them, bring attention and desire to play the sport.

As for drama, unless you were there, you have no idea what drama there was or who caused such drama. Again, I'm not allowed to speak to that here. I do, however, know what players from the 2012 team roster stated and some of those players had an outcry of support for Candace. I also know that more don't speak out for fear of getting snubbed themselves.

Meantime, Dawn, who was affiliated with those teams and knows that history well, did reach out to Candace to get her to come back to Team USA for this upcoming 2020 Olympics. Parker declined. So if Parker was so full of drama, why did Dawn want her back?

Now you're resorting to outright fairy tales about the "outcry of support" from the players.

Sorry, but USA Basketball wasn't created for the sole purpose of putting Candace Parker on a pedestal. The fact that she refused to even make herself available for the new cycle if she wasn't guaranteed a roster spot says all we need to know about her diva attitude.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Now you're resorting to outright fairy tales about the "outcry of support" from the players.

Sorry, but USA Basketball wasn't created for the sole purpose of putting Candace Parker on a pedestal. The fact that she refused to even make herself available for the new cycle if she wasn't guaranteed a roster spot says all we need to know about her diva attitude.

Apparently, you weren't on twitter. Even NBA greats weighed in. And get your facts right. She did have a roster spot offered. That didn't matter. She was done.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Apparently, you weren't on twitter. Even NBA greats weighed in. And get your facts right. She did have a roster spot offered. That didn't matter. She was done.
Who's talking about the NBA players? Since when do they have a seat on the committee? You said players from the 2012 roster. Show me the outcry from the 2012 roster.

What's your source on the claim that she was guaranteed a roster spot?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Yeah, that 2016 team looked devastated that Parker wasn't on the team. Best ever. Check out the stats. You'll love them.

Parker did play very well against the finesse French team. The outcome in that match-up was never in doubt. The Gold Medal game was actually the semi-finals against Cambage and the Aussies. Parker was a no-show, wanting no part of the physical Opals. Geno eventually had to sit her and turned to Asjha Jones who helped turn the tide.

This was from a story written about Parker being left off the team:

Officially, according to sources close to Parker, she was given two reasons for not being included on the final roster. Parker was told she was no longer the best player at her position, with that nod presumably going to Elena Delle Donne. She was also told she “didn’t match up well with Australia.” Parker was said to be floored by the reasoning.

Maybe Dawn really likes Parker. It wasn't enough I guess. Your grudge over Parker is history and in any event is with the Selection Committee. Write them a memo if you still feel really strongly about it.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

As for you diva comment, what you may see as diva attitude others see as protecting one's self from future foolery. These are professionals, not a bunch of kids. Because they choose to handle circumstances in a way that benefits their families and themselves, that doesn't make them a diva.

It's like that significant other that uses you for all your worth and then tosses you aside. I'm guessing you're a diva if you moved on and refuse to bring that type of adversity and negativity back into your life. It doesn't mean that loser can't be a winner for someone else. It's just not meant for you. So yeah, if moving on past disappointments is being a diva, count me in the diva pool.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Who's talking about the NBA players? Since when do they have a seat on the committee? You said players from the 2012 roster. Show me the outcry from the 2012 roster.

What's your source on the claim that she was guaranteed a roster spot?

Both hunty...both...keep up.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Unlike Candace, Nneka wasn't a 2 time WNBA MVP and returning Olympic member that was used for Team USA promotional purposes leading up to the games. Any one under those circumstances would have been disappointed. So now someone who's disappointed is a pouter? If it wasn't such a snub, the media outcry would not have been so vast.

As for Nneka, I hope she gets the chance she so richly deserved the last time around.

Nneka behaved like an adult and tried out for the 2018 World Cup team and she made it. Good for her.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Yeah, that 2016 team looked devastated that Parker wasn't on the team. Best ever. Check out the stats. You'll love them.

Parker did play very well against the finesse French team. The outcome in that match-up was never in doubt. The Gold Medal game was actually the semi-finals against Cambage and the Aussies. Parker was a no-show, wanting no part of the physical Opals. Geno eventually had to sit her and turned to Asjha Jones who helped turn the tide.

This was from a story written about Parker being left off the team:

Officially, according to sources close to Parker, she was given two reasons for not being included on the final roster. Parker was told she was no longer the best player at her position, with that nod presumably going to Elena Delle Donne. She was also told she “didn’t match up well with Australia.” Parker was said to be floored by the reasoning.

Maybe Dawn really likes Parker. It wasn't enough I guess. Your grudge over Parker is history and in any event is with the Selection Committee. Write them a memo if you still feel really strongly about it.

Stats don't tell the tale. What did each coach do once they got out to a big lead? Some coaches slow it down and do more line up mixing, because they mainly care about the W. Some coaches prefer to keep pounding you. They also each played different teams.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Nneka behaved like an adult and tried out for the 2018 World Cup team and she made it. Good for her.

well, that's something we can agree on. Nneka did what Nneka felt was best for her.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So, let's fast forward to the present and what lies ahead for the 2020 Olympic team.

There is actually a new format. Although Team USA has automatically qualified for the Olympics it is still required to participate in the FIBA AmeriCup qualifying tournament in Puerto Rico in September. We'll get an early look at some of the players trying out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom