Sue and Dee weren't satisfied with USA Basketball's schedule | The Boneyard

Sue and Dee weren't satisfied with USA Basketball's schedule

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great article.

Sue in particular is an american treasure.

“Whether it’s the 15-year-old boy on Instagram telling us to stay in the kitchen and that we suck, or the people on TV saying we don’t have the revenue, they’re basically telling us we have no value,” Bird said. “But then we’ll turn around and a major company like Nike will pay us money to endorse their products. Clearly, we do have value. What I think happens is the WNBA isn’t able to really capitalize and be successful because we do go dark for so long.”

Reaction Score
An article with Bird and Taurasi as the headline only has quotes and seems to have spoken to Bird and EDD. :confused:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's remarkable how well the 2016 Olympic team played with so little time to prepare.

Here's a comparison of the 2016 team with the 1996 team that played/trained together for 10 months and played 21 exhibition games.

Averaged 102.1 points/game
Made 57.7% of FG attempts
Made 45% of 3FG attempts
Averaged 28 assists/game
Assisted on 69% of made FGs

Averaged 102.4 points/game
Made 57.5% of FG attempts
Made 38.4% of 3FG attempts
Averaged 25.8 assists/game
Assisted on 64% of made FGs

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Having already won 4 Gold Medals, it's time for Sue and Diane to step aside and let the huge pool of outstanding players that have never been to the Olympics have a chance.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Having already won 4 Gold Medals, it's time for Sue and Diane to step aside and let the huge pool of outstanding players that have never been to the Olympics have a chance.

Would you say, “I understand this surgeon is still at the top of his game, but I think it’s time for him to retire and let these younger surgeons take over?” As long as they’re healthy (and that’s the key, especially after sitting out this season), there aren’t two pure guards on the USAB waitlist I’d rather have.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
what it boils down to, Mick, is: they should only "step aside" if there are better players, ready to take their place. Would you take the same position - let "the huge pool of outstanding players ...have a chance." .. with male players? Having coached girl's softball at a decent level - both summer ball and high school - for many years, this is one of the things that cripples female sports: the notion that folks have to "have a chance", that, in girl's sports, everybody gets a turn. You don't see that in male sports - Tom fuckin' Brady is the quarterback of the Patriots until somebody knocks him off the field. Michael Jordan is fuckin' Michael Jordan until somebody better comes along. But, in female sports, this "take turns, share" mentality is hard to shake - it's not based on ability, it's based on equity over ability. Until women shake that - not so much (but, somewhat) within their own gender, but within the populace at large - it will be hard to convince some folks that excellence is truly excellence.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
what it boils down to, Mick, is: they should only "step aside" if there are better players, ready to take their place. Would you take the same position - let "the huge pool of outstanding players ...have a chance." .. with male players? Having coached girl's softball at a decent level - both summer ball and high school - for many years, this is one of the things that cripples female sports: the notion that folks have to "have a chance", that, in girl's sports, everybody gets a turn. You don't see that in male sports - Tom in' Brady is the quarterback of the Patriots until somebody knocks him off the field. Michael Jordan is in' Michael Jordan until somebody better comes along. But, in female sports, this "take turns, share" mentality is hard to shake - it's not based on ability, it's based on equity over ability. Until women shake that - not so much (but, somewhat) within their own gender, but within the populace at large - it will be hard to convince some folks that excellence is truly excellence.
I truly don't appreciate the "obscenity filter" on this website, that "edited" my response here. I rarely use them - when I do, I mean them. When I can't use words that appear in, oh, popular music, and come out of the mouths of our current political leaders, well, then, I suggest that either you allow them, or apply them to people with far, far greater reach than my little post on a message board.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Stellar pay for the players involved...they'll make 70k for 7 weeks of training plus all expenses paid. Honestly if I'm Sue or DT, I'd probably rest until training starts to make sure I'm 100% for that. Neither Phoenix or Seattle is in the title mix this year and at 37/38, taking some extra time to recover may the best choice if they're wanting to play in Tokyo.

Reaction Score
[ ]

The main thing that cripples women's sports is that women don't support women's sports, in meaningful numbers.

But men don’t support them in large numbers either, so I’m confused what your point is. Women’s sports tends to be laughed at by both men and women alike—men are just more vocal in their sexism.

Honestly the initial response is a valid point. There is a lot of “step aside” talk for women’s sports—and some of that might be due to the fact that fewer opportunities exist for women—but how often do you hear the same thing for men’s sports? In men’s sports it always seems to be about the best being the best and finally taking over, but people have long said Sue and Diana are too old and need to make way for younger guards. Younger guards need to step up and play at the level of Sue and Diana. No sense in putting younger players on a team just because they’re younger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
But men don’t support them in large numbers either, .....

....There is a lot of “step aside” talk for women’s sport.......how often do you hear the same thing for men’s sports.....

My point is that the Olympics come around every 4 years. Most athletes in whatever sport and whatever gender have two chances of being an Olympian. Fewer will get three chances. Fewer still will get four.

And so to my way of thinking - five bites of the apple is greedy.....

Finally - it is disgusting to disparage opinion by tagging it as sexist. For shame!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is not MBB where professionals are multi-millionaires and the NBA championship is far bigger than the Olympics. For WBB, the Olympics generate more worldwide attention and potential endorsement opportunities than any other competitive opportunity. Sue & DT should continue to compete on US Olympic teams for as long as they want to and are good enough to earn a spot on the team.

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
@oldude - your opinion and fair enough points.

However, a fifth byte is greedy....in MY opinion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Absolutely, in fact we should participation medals made up just in case the team isn't successful. Perhaps a snack schedule as well?

Or, alternatively, we can recognize national teams as including the best a nation has to offer. When that huge pool of outstanding players are good enough to be on the national team, they will be.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The best players in Rio were Britney, Diana, and Sue. The best players in Tenerife were Stewie, Diana, and probably Sue (though Sue didn't score much).

The best WNBA post-season series last year involved Diana and Sue. Though they are older, they are still the best.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue's comments about Belgium are spot-on, as Cat, TJI, and I can attest to. They are a really good team that includes Emma Meesemann, the Mestdaghs, and Julie Vanloo. They are very well coached and played us even for the first 20 minutes in Tenerife.

I think we should send our best to the Olympics, whether that's by individual qualifying, as in track and field, swimming, and other sports, or by committee selection. Would anyone here be happy sending a less talented and experienced team to Tokyo if they brough home Silver, Bronze, or no medal? Look at what is happening in the younger age groups--the U.S. doesn't always win gold. I like our chances with Sue and Dee. Along with Stewie and Maya, they are the ultimate winners.

Reaction Score
My point is that the Olympics come around every 4 years. Most athletes in whatever sport and whatever gender have two chances of being an Olympian. Fewer will get three chances. Fewer still will get four.

And so to my way of thinking - five bites of the apple is greedy.....

Finally - it is disgusting to disparage opinion by tagging it as sexist. For shame!
Agree to disagree on the part of Sue and Diana taking more turns with team USA. If they keep getting chosen to play then they should keep getting to play if they desire to do so.

Not sure what you’re referring to with that last part, but the only way I brought up sexism was with how men tend to be more blatant with it (see twitter with any tweet about women’s basketball and all the men saying “get back in the kitchen”).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The best players in Rio were Britney, Diana, and Sue. The best players in Tenerife were Stewie, Diana, and probably Sue (though Sue didn't score much).

The best WNBA post-season series last year involved Diana and Sue. Though they are older, they are still the best.

Dee is my favorite player, but I have to disagree with this sentiment. It doesn’t matter what or who in 2016 or 2018, and right now no one mentioned is “the best” because none of them have played in months (almost an entire year for Sue and Dee).

It’s kind of silly to argue about right now, though, so far out.

Reaction Score
You could at least get DT's name right if you are going to try and throw some shade on a UConn board...

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

I don't agree with simply stepping aside, but if they are no longer the best at their positions, there should be no loyalty just because you were there before. Neither are playing and others are currently putting up stats. All players should be selected based on where their games stand now and next season. It should be required that a player is actively playing. If injured now, they should be playing at full go when the teams are selected. There's too much talent across the league to make selections based on loyalty

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Sue's comments about Belgium are spot-on, as Cat, TJI, and I can attest to. They are a really good team that includes Emma Meesemann, the Mestdaghs, and Julie Vanloo. They are very well coached and played us even for the first 20 minutes in Tenerife.

I think we should send our best to the Olympics, whether that's by individual qualifying, as in track and field, swimming, and other sports, or by committee selection. Would anyone here be happy sending a less talented and experienced team to Tokyo if they brough home Silver, Bronze, or no medal? Look at what is happening in the younger age groups--the U.S. doesn't always win gold. I like our chances with Sue and Dee. Along with Stewie and Maya, they are the ultimate winners.

And that best was from 4 years ago. How will the players mentioned be when they return from injury? It needs to be based on who's the best at the time the team is finalized, unlike the last time when Parker was omitted. She gave the best performance in 2012, returned in 2016 as an even better player, and was inexplicably not included. The same for Nneka, who was the league MVP in the same year she wasn't selected for the Olympics. They must do better at selecting those deserving and playing the best, not loyalty, not popularity, and certainly not because of "connections". As Agler said, basketball decisions need to be about basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom