Stupid Geno only wins by 11. | The Boneyard

Stupid Geno only wins by 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
But they pass the ball well. KO should teach his players to pass the ball like Geno teaches!:)

I think I've discovered the real problem. TEXAS is an energy vampire for UConn teams!!!

Reaction Score
Vampires hate garlic. Uconn players should soak their uniforms (and their breaths) with garlic oil and slap the texas players with garlic powder.

Reaction Score
Baylor's the second or third best team in the country. It was nice to see the Ladies have to fight a little.

I feel bad for their next opponent.

Reaction Score
Vampires hate garlic. Uconn players should soak their uniforms (and their breaths) with garlic oil and slap the texas players with garlic powder.
You joke, but Marvin Hagler used to eat garlic right before a fight. He also let his hair grow for a few days! Whatever it takes.

Reaction Score
And we think we have entitled fans!? I went over and checked it out, there are actually women's fans who are disappointed and find reason for concern over the fact that they only beat one of the top teams, in front of a packed house on the road, with the nations's leading scorer and a 69 game home winning streak by just 11 points on a night when UConn shot poorly and due to injuries essentially only played 6 people. Eeesh.

Reaction Score
I am actually thinking that maybe we played a slightly better team than most on the schedule. And still led from about the 3 minute mark and won it down the stretch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I am actually thinking that maybe we played a slightly better team than most on the schedule. And still led from about the 3 minute mark and won it down the stretch.
The woman's preseason schedule is loaded quality opponents Baylor aside UConn has beat them by 20 +. I agree that Baylor is very good team, or at least has a very good point guard in Odyssey Sims.

I watched the game and I think that Coach K should send his guys to Baylor for a flopping seminar. At least Duke players wait until the opponent is in their general vicinity. The Baylor players were swooning at the drop of a hat. The refs bought into it until they went to check if a foul on Lewis should be a flagrant 1 or a flagrant 2. They saw that not only was there no contact but the UConn player didn't come with 6 inches of the Baylor player. After that they were a little more skeptical about the diving divas of Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let me preface this story by saying I'm not a Geno fan or women's. basketball fan.............
I got dragged to a women's game Taurasi's senior year against Providence under the premise that it was Senior Night(it wasn't they had one more home game) .
Well anyway had two senior citizens next to me (husband and wife). The wife kept yelling for all of the Huskies to "shoot, shoot, shoot and was real mad when Geno took DT out ahead by like 48-12 score in the first half. She couldn't understand why she came out. The husband just sat there not cheering(maybe not breathing) :)

I told her Providence could play 5 on 2 for the rest of the game and not come within 30. She still insisted that DT should be in there scoring.

This went on until she whipped out a book and started reading with UCONN up 40+.

Geno better never stop hanging banners or there will be about 300 of these folks attending his games.

Reaction Score
Me Personally I don't see how people get excited about the Women's team when their first real test will be in the Elite Eight. Come to think of it they should get a bye into the elite eight. There's maybe 3 teams in any random year that could challenge them.

Tough to watch a sport with little to no competition and where a WWE match has more drama to the outcome than a random UCONN Women's game.

Also it would be nice to see the talent spread around to more than just a few teams. These teams have little chance against Geno's machine.

IMO women's basketball will never grow in popularity past where it is until there are say 10 teams that COULD REALISTICALLY win the NCAA Championship any year.
Remember too that women's coaches have the ability of having their stars stay for all 4 years. Keeping the powerhouses like UCONN on top.

I would have liked to have Rip, Mek, Kemba , Caron, Drummond and Ray among others have to stay fours years-there would be a few more banners on the wall if that happened.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I'll flip back and forth on the TV when they're in the title game every April, but I wouldn't call myself a fan. Its great to see them winning title after title though because I support the school and the athletic programs.

But my best memory of women's basketball fans was last winter when #1 Louisville visited the XL Center to play the Huskies. Smith and Siva went off while Shabazz got hurt too if I remember. I sat next to an elderly couple and behind another. They were complaining the whole game and talking about how great of a game the women would play the following night. UConn went down by around 12 in the second half and they picked up their books, belongings, etc and left with about 10 minutes left. They said as they left, "Let's watch a real team play the game it was supposed to be played. Can't wait for tomorrow night."

My jaw dropped.

Reaction Score
Older people tend to like the women's game because they play the way men played 30 years ago. It's like when older people dream about a time without technology.

I enjoy the women's game. I like there to be a few teams that can compete with the women, but this season I think baylor will be as close as it gets. This team is just loaded. Hartley is the least talked about Husky of the starting five, and she was one of four Uconn players to be an All American as a sophomore.

The refs need to catch up to the sport though.

On a sort of interesting note, from watching both teams play for 10+ years, I've found that both Calhoun and Geno have their own "types" of players.(and my guess is Ollie will have his own type too.) I always thought AJ Price was more of a Geno player than a Calhoun player. I think Hartley is more of a Calhoun type of guard.

U

UCONNfan1

And we think we have entitled fans!? I went over and checked it out, there are actually women's fans who are disappointed and find reason for concern over the fact that they only beat one of the top teams, in front of a packed house on the road, with the nations's leading scorer and a 69 game home winning streak by just 11 points on a night when UConn shot poorly and due to injuries essentially only played 6 people. Eeesh.
It's certainly a different mindset over there. But try to keep in mind the women generally land at least 1 top 5 player recruiting every single year. That's insane. With 8 NC's, expectations are sky high for #9 this year and probably #10 next year. That's insane as well. Geno's win loss record is something astronomical like 850-150. Seriously. And he took over a crappy UCONN team back in the late 80's. First 3 years he went something like 40-35, then it's been lights out ever since.

I get that we are somewhat astonished at the reaction on that side, but if your fan base has watched as many wins as their, it's easier to understand their angst, even if we poke a little fun at it... I wish them every success this season tho. Any time one of our teams wins the NC is a great thing for the University...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
FUNDAMENTALS!

PASSING!

PLAYING THE GAME THE RIGHT WAY!

LOUD NOISES!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Baylor's the second or third best team in the country. It was nice to see the Ladies have to fight a little.

I feel bad for their next opponent.
Rutgers......

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Rutgers.
Nothing makes me smile more than seing CViv sitting on the bench down big to UConn.

Well, there's my puppy, she makes me smile. But seeing CViv's scorn is priceless to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer