OT: - Stupid Bills kicking into end zone | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Stupid Bills kicking into end zone

Reaction Score
Correct, same way a receiver can give himself up after a catch and doesn't need to be tackled/touched
I think @Conndog is asking about the clock-stopping aspect of it, not the downing aspect. In other words, I understood his or her question to be, "Does the clock automatically stop after a kickoff play no matter what?"

The answer to that is yes.
1643034205133.png

Reaction Score
Bucs kicker Pinion had two kickoffs go OB trying to kick away from the return guy.

KC had to go at least 40 yards in two plays in 12 seconds or less. I'd like my team's chances even against Brady.
I like my chances better forcing KC to a returnable kick and chewing seconds off. On a kickoff you have all of your best tacklers focused on the one.....where guarding the receivers on that extra play is a crap shoot as it played out.....especially with the number of solutions KC has.
My guess as mentioned was they would catch the kick and take a knee which itself would have taken off at least 2-3 seconds perhaps.....but at the least it might have been to the 5 yard line.
These professional kickers should have a variety of solutions for any request in their catalogue.

Reaction Score
Option 1: Touchback. 13 seconds left. Ball on 25.

Option 2: squib away from Hill. Kneel. 13 seconds left. Ball on 30-40 yard line.

Didn’t make a difference.
You don't squib is to the 30-40.

Let's break it down looking at the replay. KC had:
  • 5 guys around midfield
  • 3 guys at the 40
  • 2 guys at the 20
  • 1 guy on the goal line

The play would have been to squib it over the guys at the 40 and split the guys at the 20 so it bounces and the return man has to come up and field it around the 10-15 yard line.

The coverage team is farther back than usual, so let's say the returner is able to bring it out to the 30-35 yard line, but it takes him 4-5 seconds to do that, and unless he's smart enough to declare himself down at the first sign of trouble, you could even string it out to 6-7 seconds if it takes a while to stop forward progress and bring him down, or even longer if he tries to get tricky and cut back across the field.

There are a lot of ways the return man can screw it up!

Most likely, he's tackled at the 30-35 yard line at :08. Then KC is in a bind. They can run the quick-hitter to Hill over the middle to get to around midfield at :04. Then what? Either another quick-hitter to try to get another 8-10 yards and hope they play is over before :00 or the Hail Mary.

The improved likelihood of winning in that scenario is worth the small risk that the returner breaks one.

Edit: there's also a chance the returner panics and gives himself up immediately at the 10-15 yard line. This keeps the same amount of time on the clock for Mahomes (yes, you can "give yourself up" and the play just ends immediately without time coming off, kind of like a fair catch) but is also, of course, preferable to them getting it at the 25.

Reaction Score

• 5 guys around midfield
  • 3 guys at the 40
  • 2 guys at the 20
  • 1 guy on the goal line

The play would have been to squib it over the guys at the 40 and split the guys at the 20 so it bounces and the return man has to come up and field it around the 10-15 yard line.

The coverage team is farther back than usual, so let's say the returner is able to bring it out to the 30-35 yard line, but it takes him 4-5 seconds to do that, and unless he's smart enough to declare himself down at the first sign of trouble, you could even string it out to 6-7 seconds if it takes a while to stop forward progress and bring him down, or even longer if he tries to get tricky and cut back across the field.

Most likely, he's tackled at the 30-35 yard line at :08. Then KC is in a bind. They can run the quick-hitter to Hill over the middle to get to around midfield at :04. Then what? Either another quick-hitter to try to get another 8-10 yards and hope they play is over before :00 or the Hail Mary.

The improved likelihood of winning in that scenario is worth the small risk that the returner breaks one.
No offense dude but I really don’t care. I’m just being casual in my post.

Reaction Score
Mahomes had a look of no fear, no panic and certainly a victorious one on that last drive. He (i.e. KC offense) deserves all the credit. He probably would have executed a FG drive from his one yard line. He has the weapons to do it.

Just saying not many QBs could have pulled that off.

Brady exits, Mahomes enters. Sports/Athletes are amazing and watching greatness evolve before our eyes is even more amazing!
He had no fear because let's face it, the game was over. He had no chance and no pressure. No one expected two short wide open passes to turn into those two quick long gains.

OT rules have to be changed. There was no defense at the end of the 4th quarter and I think a Chiefs touchdown in OT was completely expected by everyone. A ridiculous and unexpected 4th quarter gave way to a fizzle of an OT. It's too bad.

Reaction Score

• 5 guys around midfield
  • 3 guys at the 40
  • 2 guys at the 20
  • 1 guy on the goal line

Edit: there's also a chance the returner panics and gives himself up immediately at the 10-15 yard line. This keeps the same amount of time on the clock for Mahomes (yes, you can "give yourself up" and the play just ends immediately without time coming off, kind of like a fair catch) but is also, of course, preferable to them getting it at the 25.
How about the kicker drills it at one of the 5 guys at midfield. Chances are the ball bounces off one of them resulting in a scramble to grab the ball, seconds ticking off, and perhaps even a turnover. Sure, the risk is the Chief's catch it on the fly and no time comes off, but they may panic and try to run.

Reaction Score
Field goal in 13 seconds

The first pass, the Bills flat out blew it. 3 guys in the gulf of mexico. 1 to catch and 2 to block with no one within 10 yaards

chiefs1.jpg

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
@Kolumbo is right, I have no clue why Frazier had his D playing so far back, with a wall of 3 defenders THEN the 2 safeties about 40 yards deep ... they had 3 TOs and only needed 3! The sidelines didn't matter.

Regardless of the kickoff, if they give up the same type of play to Hill but they're not so far back and he gets 15 yards or so, then the same with the 2nd play, maybe they give up a semi-easy 15-20 ... even that soft approach isn't bringing the Chiefs all the way in range.

The extreme soft nature of the coverage, as though they needed WAY more yardage than they did, is what killed the Bills.

13 seconds is going to live in my nightmares. I can't even explain the emotions I experienced the last 2 minutes of that game. But I'll keep saying it, I'll take Josh Allen for the next 10+ years, I've waited my whole life for a QB like him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom