Stupid Basketball Question | The Boneyard

Stupid Basketball Question

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
After last nights “Basketball Game” it got me thinking: What is the history/reason for why players foul out in Basketball?

It is the only sport I can think of that forces their stars to miss the most important parts of the game (many times due to poor officiating).

Imagine if Kelce was disqualified in the playoffs after 3 offensive pass interference calls, or Gordie Howe was in the locker room in the 3rd due to 2 slashing penalties, or Roger Clemens kicked out of the World Series in the 4th inning because of two balks?

We nearly didn’t win our 2004 Championship due to Okafor having to sit out the majority of the Duke game.

There are penalties if a player commits a foul (free throws or possession for the other team). So why is it necessary to disqualify a player if they reach 5 fouls (or 6 in the NBA)?

I’ve never really thought about it before, but it seems so ridiculous when you sit back and think about it.

Reaction Score
After last nights “Basketball Game” it got me thinking: What is the history/reason for why players foul out in Basketball?

It is the only sport I can think of that forces their stars to miss the most important parts of the game (many times due to poor officiating).

Imagine if Kelce was disqualified in the playoffs after 3 offensive pass interference calls, or Gordie Howe was in the locker room in the 3rd due to 2 slashing penalties, or Roger Clemens kicked out of the World Series in the 4th inning because of two balks?

We nearly didn’t win our 2004 Championship due to Okafor having to sit out the majority of the Duke game.

There are penalties if a player commits a foul (free throws or possession for the other team). So why is it necessary to disqualify a player if they reach 5 fouls (or 6 in the NBA)?

I’ve never really thought about it before, but it seems so ridiculous when you sit back and think about it.

You could play a 90-second drill all game if players couldn't foul out. Would you enjoy that?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Cool idea.

I like it. Particularly the hockey approach.

Into the penalty box with you.

Now play 5 on 4 for 3 minutes.

Reaction Score
Havk a Shack every possession.

If the game was played this way, Donovan would get smashed before he even touched the ball. Three-point shooters would be hammered on every shot. Layups would result in broken arms.

Reaction Score
that's certainly a novel suggestion as far as rule changes go... i love the college game the way it is aside from the BE refs, and there's only two changes i'd like to see at the pro level:

1) widen the court to increase the distance of the 3pt line in the corners. it's too easy of a shot now.
2) there's no rhyme or reason for 82 games. there will soon be 32 teams (16/conference). get rid of the divisions and play each team in your conference 3x (if you play a team 2x at home and 1x away it would alternate the next year) and play each team in the other conference 2x (1x home and 1x away). that's a total 77 games.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Start every game with a round of slap fighting.
IMG_7521.gif

Reaction Score
Strategy would just become: wait for the other team’s poorest FT shooter to get the ball and then foul him.

Reaction Score

Some history:

Reaction Score
You could effectively eliminate insane amounts of fouling while still not disqualifying players from the game.

For instance, you could say that everyone gets 5 normal fouls, and then their 6th foul and beyond have the same rules as a flagrant, where there are shots and possession. Or you could just give more foul shots.

Players would definitely not foul willy-nilly, but they could still be on the court after a 5th.

Just spitballing here, so I'm not saying that is the best way or anything, but it's easy to imagine other ways besides disqualification.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
For instance, you could say that everyone gets 5 normal fouls, and then their 6th foul and beyond have the same rules as a flagrant, where there are shots and possession. Or you could just give more foul shots.
The link in the post above yours discusses potentially better options. The goal is fewer foul shots, not more.

Reaction Score

Just my honest opinion but the game has evolved from ballet with a ball to gladiators with a ball. ;)
It is no different on the women's side. Do realize that in football, soccer, hockey players are ejected for unnecessary roughness. That and some are suspended from playing for periods or an entire next game.

Reaction Score
The link in the post above yours discusses potentially better options. The goal is fewer foul shots, not more.
I thought the goal of what I was talking about was keeping the players in the game while also not having it be a wrestling match, but sure, it can be done with something that also keeps free throw totals low. I was spitballing, as I said, and one of my suggestions was in the article.

Reaction Score

My first thought was, “Yeah…he’s right!”. Then I realized it would take more than one rule change to avoid turning it into a free throw competition. In either case it could potentially completely change the way a game is played and that alone makes it a non starter. There is strategy revolving around players potentially fouling out, it’s another part of the game players and coaches should master just like anything else.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
If the game was played this way, Donovan would get smashed before he even touched the ball. Three-point shooters would be hammered on every shot. Layups would result in broken arms.
Yeah, just like it used to be in Washington Park in Bridgeport. When you ain't got no refs anyway, what's the difference?

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom