Stupid Basketball Question | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stupid Basketball Question

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
After last nights “Basketball Game” it got me thinking: What is the history/reason for why players foul out in Basketball?

It is the only sport I can think of that forces their stars to miss the most important parts of the game (many times due to poor officiating).

Imagine if Kelce was disqualified in the playoffs after 3 offensive pass interference calls, or Gordie Howe was in the locker room in the 3rd due to 2 slashing penalties, or Roger Clemens kicked out of the World Series in the 4th inning because of two balks?

We nearly didn’t win our 2004 Championship due to Okafor having to sit out the majority of the Duke game.

There are penalties if a player commits a foul (free throws or possession for the other team). So why is it necessary to disqualify a player if they reach 5 fouls (or 6 in the NBA)?

I’ve never really thought about it before, but it seems so ridiculous when you sit back and think about it.
Well let's analyze that.

Hockey: you do sit out when you commit a foul. Would you prefer 2 to 4 minutes in a penalty box?
Soccer: two bad fouls and you're gone for the game, and the next one.
Baseball: pitcher who cheats is tossed. No way to commit fouls otherwise
Football: certain penalties will get you tossed.

So why? In most sports the other team isn't given a free chance to score when a foul is committed. You get an enhanced chance. Football you move forward or back. Soccer a free kick, which can be a chance to score (kind of like a shooting four). In basketball so many more scoring events occur than in any other sport. So awarding FTs is pretty minor as a penalty. So there has to be some larger penalty for continuing to foul.

I suppose you could let them stay in and award two shots and possession any time that player commits an additional foul. It's all about balancing the benefit to the team from fouling with the cost of the penalty. In basketball and soccer, I think the penalty is generally insufficient to discourage fouling. So with increased fouling you start to see escalating penalties.

Reaction Score
After last nights “Basketball Game” it got me thinking: What is the history/reason for why players foul out in Basketball?

It is the only sport I can think of that forces their stars to miss the most important parts of the game (many times due to poor officiating).

Imagine if Kelce was disqualified in the playoffs after 3 offensive pass interference calls, or Gordie Howe was in the locker room in the 3rd due to 2 slashing penalties, or Roger Clemens kicked out of the World Series in the 4th inning because of two balks?

We nearly didn’t win our 2004 Championship due to Okafor having to sit out the majority of the Duke game.

There are penalties if a player commits a foul (free throws or possession for the other team). So why is it necessary to disqualify a player if they reach 5 fouls (or 6 in the NBA)?

I’ve never really thought about it before, but it seems so ridiculous when you sit back and think about it.
Not sure of the origin, but I think the key is that it creates a personal, selfish incentive not to foul. If you want to play, you need to not foul a lot, or you’ll have to go to the bench. If it was just a rule like after your fifth foul, the other team gets two and the ball (as has been suggested), and it didn’t affect your personal playing time, you’d foul more freely and the game would get mucked up.

Soccer has the two yellows rule and water polo you are done after three penalties, so it isn’t necessarily unique to hoops. Soccer is a little different since the team has to play down a man, but water polo is a pretty similar dynamic.

Reaction Score

Many sports send players of the field for violations. soccer, and hockey come to mind.

Reaction Score
If the game was played this way, Donovan would get smashed before he even touched the ball. Three-point shooters would be hammered on every shot. Layups would result in broken arms.
They would still get free throws so that would still be an incentive not to foul. Maybe bring back the old NBA rule 3 to make 2 as an added incentive. :p

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom