Stumbling around the internet... | The Boneyard

Stumbling around the internet...

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
For some reason, the memories raised and freshened by the outstanding OSM video we've been enjoying brought to mind my least favorite UConn player of the modern Husky era.
Sam Funches.
I couldn't resist googling him to refresh my memory, and find out if I'd been holding an unfairly negative opinion of him all these years.
The 6-8 PF was from Jackson, MS, and came to UConn for the 96-97 season by way of St. Thomas More. As a freshman, he played in 16 games. Barely. Early on he saw 3 or 4 minutes a game. But by the time league play started, he rarely saw the court. In my memory, he was the original black hole. He played so rarely that when he managed to touch the ball, he was going to shoot it or (more frequently) lose it or go out of bounds with it in an attempt to go up with it. He left the team immediately after mid term exams in his 2nd year, having scored 9 buckets and gotten 20 rebounds in his UConn career.
I was thrilled when he left.
He ended up playing at North Texas, and he did get more minutes there and had a decent, but unremarkable (5 pt 3 rb/game) 2 years there.
My Google search did also bring up a 12 year old 4th grader named Sam Funches in the US Amateur Basketball database, playing center for the Madison, MS Landsharks. Madison is about a half hour ride from Jackson. As the only center on their squad, I would guess that he's starting. Could be a son or nephew of "our" Sam Funches, but it's certainly too much of a coincidence for him not to be directly related.
The kicker is that for some reason, as much as I disliked the elder Funches' game, I find myself hoping that this 12 year old goes on to become a star somewhere.

Reaction Score
Stop by the Justin Brown section of the internet first and provide a recap if possible.

He's was my most hated player while at Uconn.

Reaction Score
Stop by the Justin Brown section of the internet first and provide a recap if possible.

Hated? Not sure what you mean, please explain.

Reaction Score
Hated? Not sure what you mean, please explain.
Hated is strong but I remember being most frustrated by his play and that when he came in there would be mistakes. Felt he got more minutes than he should've.

Again this is from memory. Haven't looked him up and forget who else was on the roster at the same time.

Was he a bad guy or have a bad personality? I assume not. That wasn't the basis for my comment.

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It sounds like you’re close to reaching the end of the internet. I’ve never gotten there myself, but if you did hit the end of the internet please let us know what’s on the other side.
I discovered that there's internet extending beyond the world of hoops! Who'd a thunk it?

Reaction Score
I discovered that there's internet extending beyond the world of hoops! Who'd a thunk it?
Anything worth knowing is right here on the BoneYard. It's not safe out there. Computers catch viruses too. Be careful if you venture away from this forum.

Reaction Score

I hope you don't really mean hated. That is a pretty strong emotion to have of a college-aged player you don't even know. I can see you stating that he did not meet your expectations as a college player and you were disappointed but hated is way over the top.

I do recall Joe D. talking about Justin saying he was one of the nicest guys around.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I hope you don't really mean hated. That is a pretty strong emotion to have of a college-aged player you don't even know. I can see you stating that he did not meet your expectations as a college player and you were disappointed but hated is way over the top.

I do recall Joe D. talking about Justin saying he was one of the nicest guys around.
AussieCuz was a good poster here, too, during Justin's time.

Reaction Score

Remember one preseason where Calhoun gushed about his improvement like he was the next great center? And then the games started and it was the same ol' Justin.

pj

Reaction Score
Justin always seemed to have the pieces but then just didn't impact the game the way you'd expect. Motor / love of the game / passion / competitive drive, whatever you want to call it, he seemed happy to be competent without wanting to dominate. Maybe one of those players who was "too nice."

Reaction Score

I was a college-aged person reacting to a college-aged player...

And I already clarified my statement.

Reaction Score
Didn’t funchess and Jake go to Strake Jesuit HS together? I always am thankful we recruited Sam and found Jake!

I def have a Husky I didn’t like bc of his weak-minded mentality not long ago but We can’t really discuss these things bc they’re college kids and people get upset. That’s fine It doesn’t build up so not worth it for anyone.

Reaction Score
Didn’t funchess and Jake go to Strake Jesuit HS together? I always am thankful we recruited Sam and found Jake!

I def have a Husky I didn’t like bc of his weak-minded mentality not long ago but We can’t really discuss these things bc they’re college kids and people get upset. That’s fine It doesn’t build up so not worth it for anyone.
Matt LeBlanc was Jake's teammate in high school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It sounds like you’re close to reaching the end of the internet. I’ve never gotten there myself, but if you did hit the end of the internet please let us know what’s on the other side.
Richie Ashmeade?

Reaction Score
Matt LeBlanc was Jake's teammate in high school.
Heard this guy was quite a hoopster in his day.

1588468545953.png

But the guy who played for UConn was Michael Leblanc. Lol

Reaction Score
There are very few Uconn players that I would say that I dislike, they are after all college kids. However, I remember disliking Toraino Walker. He left the team very shortly into the season which forced Calhoun to use Travis Knight who otherwise could have red-shirted (if my memory serves me). I always felt it would have been nice to have him in for an additional year. Since he was drafted in the first round, he might not have stayed anyways, but in my mind I always imagined he would, and I blamed for Walker for us losing him that year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom