Student Section is a Joke | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Student Section is a Joke

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Do any colleges have these amenities in their stadiums.

No idea but most college stadiums are on campus, not 20 miles away. UConn has the land and the space out there to build something.

The bar in the XL center is the greatest thing to ever happen to that arena in my opinion. As a young alumni, its way more fun to go there now to watch the game. My friends and I would always just buy the cheapest seat and go sit in the bar. Its a more social and fun way to experience the game with a group of people.

My suggestions may not help keep or get students to the games, but it may be incentivizing enough to get young alumni interested in attending. And if young alumni start going, then their friends who may still be in school may start going too, and then just maybe their friends will also start going....

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
All the ideas like corn hole etc need to be inside the stadium not outside. The point is to get fans in the stadium.
I’m not entirely sold on MORE things that involve people milling around out of their seats. One reason (albeit a small one) our crowds look smaller than they should be is the ease of watching the game from the concourse, under the scoreboard, etc.

I’m not sure those things mean more people in the stadium but it will mean more people out of their seats. I should go into the biggest sport annoyance thread and add the bar in the XL center.

Reaction Score
They walked out after Illinois scored 24 straight points. How many adults were thinking "Here we go again." ?

That’s definitely the reason students left. There weren’t many there to begin with though. Good student sections ride the storm.

Reaction Score
Generational paradigm shift...

>>Whether due to financial reasons, a preferred game day experience or a move from paper to digital tickets, a Lantern analysis of Ohio State football season ticket sales data shows that more than 6,500 fewer season student ticket packages were sold for the 2019 season than in 2018. The drop reflects a broader trend within the program, with a 4.3-percent decline in nonstudent season ticket packages for Ohio Stadium. <<

>>Signore purchased a package in 2018, but said he didn’t in 2019 because most of the games during 2018 were blowouts that weren’t worth the cost of a season package. He said buying single-game tickets is cost-effective, and easier now since the release of the Ohio State student ticket exchange app TicketBay in January.

Many of his friends didn’t purchase season tickets either.

“[My friends] said that they’d rather tailgate before the game than actually go to the game and I’m kind of with them,” Signore said. “I have more fun tailgating before the game, and I can just watch it on TV, than actually going to the football game.”<<

Reaction Score
Millennial is the most over thrown around term ever
Generational paradigm shift...

>>Whether due to financial reasons, a preferred game day experience or a move from paper to digital tickets, a Lantern analysis of Ohio State football season ticket sales data shows that more than 6,500 fewer season student ticket packages were sold for the 2019 season than in 2018. The drop reflects a broader trend within the program, with a 4.3-percent decline in nonstudent season ticket packages for Ohio Stadium. <<

>>Signore purchased a package in 2018, but said he didn’t in 2019 because most of the games during 2018 were blowouts that weren’t worth the cost of a season package. He said buying single-game tickets is cost-effective, and easier now since the release of the Ohio State student ticket exchange app TicketBay in January.

Many of his friends didn’t purchase season tickets either.

“[My friends] said that they’d rather tailgate before the game than actually go to the game and I’m kind of with them,” Signore said. “I have more fun tailgating before the game, and I can just watch it on TV, than actually going to the football game.”<<

And, just for the record college kids these days are not millennials.

Millennials are “kids” born between 1980 and 1995.

Reaction Score
Free White Claws for everyone that attends!

Kids don’t drink beer any more; kegs won’t fix the problem.
It seems today kids are just to pampered and can't deal with adversity too much. Since I sit in Section 224 it can get real hot wth sun directly in your face. The student section is also directly in the sun. Give out free sun tan lotion and husky sun glasses to the students. Maybe that will keep them in their seats :cool::cool::cool: :)

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It seems today kids are just to pampered and can't deal with adversity too much. Since I sit in Section 224 the it can get hot with sun. The student section is also directly in the sun. Give out free sun tan lotion and husky sun glasses to the students. Maybe that will keep them in their seats :)
Bucket hats too

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

The reality is that ice cold beer, burgers/dogs, comfortable chairs, games, friends, fun, etc. is one hell of a draw (obviously).

When I was a season ticket holder, even I would find myself just sneaking into the stadium walking to my seats right at kickoff or at the start of the first drive and I considered/consider myself a pretty big UConn football fan.

It's not rocket science to see that if you're pretty indifferent about the program than sticking around a massive party is a lot more fun than seeing your team whether it's Ohio State, UCLA, UConn, etc. play the majority of the teams on the home schedule.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I’m gonna go against BY tradition and say my prior thoughts on winning and being fun being enough to bring people back... likely isn’t enough.

Not that it can’t improve or be decent... but not seeing how we get back to late 00s glory days even if everything breaks perfectly.

Reaction Score
I’m gonna go against BY tradition and say my prior thoughts on winning and being fun being enough to bring people back... likely isn’t enough.

Not that it can’t improve or be decent... but not seeing how we get back to late 00s glory days even if everything breaks perfectly.

I don't know. There isn't that much competition in terms of things to do in Connecticut and it's a heck of a lot cheaper/more convenient than going to a Pats or Giants game. Which are both well-attended by folks.

We have no pro sports teams either. So if UConn was decent-ish, it has a grip on the fandom.

Will still struggle vs watching it on TV or whatever but i think you could certainly have a respectable attendance of 30K+ with a good team and a good gameday experience.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The Rent really needs a facelift. Even my dad who could care less about about the stadium said things need to change.

I really want to scoff at this comment, but when you think about it, its true - the Rent is what something like 16 years old going on 40. There is no budget for some new features. Where is our T Boone Pickens? He could build is that end zone beer garden clevelander inspired fun center.

Reaction Score
I really want to scoff at this comment, but when you think about it, its true - the Rent is what something like 16 years old going on 40. There is no budget for some new features. Where is our T Boone Pickens? He could build is that end zone beer garden clevelander inspired fun center.
I think making changes to the stadium and making it more modern should be a top concern for UConn/CT.

Sadly people don’t go to games to watch games. They want to be entertained and have different food, drink, viewing options.

Reaction Score
I agree
The Rent really needs a facelift. Even my dad who could care less about about the stadium said things need to change.

I agree. I know this will never happen, but I would LOVE a stadium built at Storrs, CT

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
...or we could just go full Orwell:

This is modeled after China's "good citizen" plan. A glimpse into the future where technology is used to perfect conformity. Available for export, call your local embassy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom