Student Section is a Joke | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Student Section is a Joke

Reaction Score
One thing that I never hear talked about is the affect of the scandals on basketball attendance.

UConn basketball in the 90’s through the early 2000’s was giddy and pure and good.

I know that the laptops and the academics and the recruiting violations took the shine off for some people.

But, I think everyone is just about over it now or have forgotten.
You think the laptop and academic stuff made people stop going?

Reaction Score
You think the laptop and academic stuff made people stop going?

Probably not directly, but it definitely contributed to the general feeling I remember of “UConn mattering less”

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
One thing that I never hear talked about is the affect of the scandals on basketball attendance.

UConn basketball in the 90’s through the early 2000’s was giddy and pure and good.

I know that the laptops and the academics and the recruiting violations took the shine off for some people.

But, I think everyone is just about over it now or have forgotten.

i dont think it had any. i think its just they did it a few times and the fanbase got spoiled and only cares when it’s a big event.

but that isn’t different than most places - it’s just the local fanbase is small and gampel is remote and the xl center is a turnoff

plus the grads leave and the locals are getting old fast. and its expensive at face value.

casual fans dont think in terms of grabbing extras from fat steve at the xl center and sitting anywhere - they connect box office price to seats.

Reaction Score
i dont think it had any. i think its just they did it a few times and the fanbase got spoiled and only cares when it’s a big event.

but that isn’t different than most places - it’s just the local fanbase is small and gampel is remote and the xl center is a turnoff

plus the grads leave and the locals are getting old fast. and its expensive at face value.

casual fans dont think in terms of grabbing extras from fat steve at the xl center and sitting anywhere - they connect box office price to seats.

Since leaving Connecticut (yes yes I know, part of the problem), my appreciation for the UConn basketball fanbase has actually grown.

I really think we are second to none outside of the always mentioned big-state basketball schools in terms of passion and basketball IQ.

It was really eye opening, especially living in DC, just how little a lot of alumni bases cared about basketball - even schools that I thought cared a little about basketball.

Reaction Score
Since leaving Connecticut (yes yes I know, part of the problem), my appreciation for the UConn basketball fanbase has actually grown.

I really think we are second to none outside of the always mentioned big-state basketball schools in terms of passion and basketball IQ.

It was really eye opening, especially living in DC, just how little a lot of alumni bases cared about basketball - even schools that I thought cared a little about basketball.

I only mentioned DC because I was rubbing shoulders with alumni bases from all over.

Don’t even get me started on my experiences since moving to Atlanta. Most SEC fanbases take an almost bizarre pride in not caring about basketball.

At UGA - in all seriousness - the basketball program might be lower on the totem poll than the gymnastics and baseball programs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

just read the BY. So many aren’t local. The local people are old. The fanbase is old. The Northeast is old.

Fairfield cty to Htfd or Storrs on a weekday is a nightmare.

There just aren’t enough people in the Hartford suburbs to fill a 16k arena.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
just read the BY. So many aren’t local. The local people are old. The fanbase is old. The Northeast is old.

To fill it again and again for MBB, WBB, UConn Hockey and AAA hockey.

Reaction Score

Lol it’s not like I’m not connected to greater Hartford. I’m still up there multiple times per year visiting family and friends and going to UConn sporting events.

The area and fanbase are old, but its not exactly West Palm either.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Traditions and fandom are not built overnight; so, of course, when the program and conference fell apart; people didn’t really have the same feeling of loyalty towards the football program because there was really not much loyalty to begin with.

Timing of the above didn't help. The country was just reemerging from the Great Recession and Connecticut's recovery was slower than most anywhere else around the country.

Many incurred major life events and reassessed their disposable spending. If and when they personally recovered, the team fell on hard times and they found they could do without certain social and/or entertainment functions that they previously engaged, spectator sports among them.

Reaction Score

But there are enough people to fill a Double A ballpark every night? It seems like the people going to that are younger and fun! The Yard Goats market and brand very well. UConn...not so much.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But there are enough people to fill a Double A ballpark every night? It seems like the people going to that are younger and fun! The Yard Goats market and brand very well. UConn...not so much.

Consider capacity at DD Park is just 6,121. 6k at XL or the Rent looks bad, but 6k at DD Park = sell out.

Dunkin' Donuts Park - Wikipedia

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dunkin Donuts Park seats < 6,200. It's not exactly Dodger Stadium.

Reaction Score
Dunkin Donuts Park seats < 6,200. It's not exactly Dodger Stadium.

Right but it still shows a level of fan commitment and engagement that they’re able to draw every night

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Give away $5000 to a student in their seat; must be present to win. Announce with 1 minute left in 4th quarter??

Reaction Score
Our fanbase is full of spoiled frontrunners. Fairweather fans to the extreme. How is anyone arguing to the contrary?

Lol well I think the only real counter argument is that all fanbases are like that and that this isn’t an issue unique to UConn

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

1. Novelty factor is still high
2. The attendance numbers are more inflated than tires on a monster truck
3. For profit business that employes private sector employees
4. The facility is light years better
5. Less competition on stuff to do especially youth sports
6. Centrally located in and out
7. Nobody cares who wins so you just leave when you get bored.
8. Perceived as family friendly and more affordable
9. People like to be outside in nice weather

The Rent had a novelty period too. So did New Britain Stadium.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Lol well I think the only real counter argument is that all fanbases are like that and that this isn’t an issue unique to UConn

To this extent? It’s wholly unique.

Reaction Score
To this extent? It’s wholly unique.

For football? Maybe. What’s really unique is that we’re a large flagship state school that focuses on basketball.

If you think our basketball fanbase is uniquely “bad” than, buddy, you need to get out of Tolland County more.

Reaction Score
1. Novelty factor is still high
2. The attendance numbers are more inflated than tires on a monster truck
3. For profit business that employes private sector employees
4. The facility is light years better
5. Less competition on stuff to do especially youth sports
6. Centrally located in and out
7. Nobody cares who wins so you just leave when you get bored.
8. Perceived as family friendly and more affordable
9. People like to be outside in nice weather

The Rent had a novelty period too. So did New Britain Stadium.

Yup, all that is fair. But there still seems to be youngish people that go! At least according to my social media feeds...

Reaction Score
I only mentioned DC because I was rubbing shoulders with alumni bases from all over.

Don’t even get me started on my experiences since moving to Atlanta. Most SEC fanbases take an almost bizarre pride in not caring about basketball.

At UGA - in all seriousness - the basketball program might be lower on the totem poll than the gymnastics and baseball programs.

Most of my family attended SEC schools. You are 100% correct, it’s all football, and then everything else. ( with the possible exception of Kentucky where it is about 50/50 football and basketball). Its hard to explain the way these schools value football over every other sport, except that ND does it as well. So while it is hard to explain, it is easy to understand

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
For football? Maybe. What’s really unique is that we’re a large flagship state school that focuses on basketball.

If you think our basketball fanbase is uniquely “bad” than, buddy, you need to get out of Tolland County more.

The basketball fanbase only exists in the first place because of miraculous postseason runs. HuskyMania and the subsequent growth of the program is tied directly to a program that competed at the most elite level of the entire sport. That is the only thing that drew people in, not history or tradition or intrinsic connection to the university.

Look at the shift in “fan” enthusiasm once the NBE move was made and you’ll understand.

Reaction Score
Comical.

Win games.

Students should go to the games with sacks on their heads a la Northwestern or the Saints during their respective epic bad runs.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The basketball fanbase only exists in the first place because of miraculous postseason runs. HuskyMania and the subsequent growth of the program is tied directly to a program that competed at the most elite level of the entire sport. That is the only thing that drew people in, not history or tradition or intrinsic connection to the university.

Look at the shift in “fan” enthusiasm once the NBE move was made and you’ll understand.

Look, of course that is true but that isn’t unique to UConn in any way. Every team with a large fanbase can tie that fanbases growth to a specific event or “miraculous post season run”

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom