Student Section is a Joke | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Student Section is a Joke

Reaction Score
I think student attendance is pretty much down in many places...maybe most. Lots of things contribute The fact that tv makes the in stadium experience impossible. The fact that every game is on tv. The fact that students don’t really care that much.

I also think the new post season doesn’t help. We are 3 weeks into the season and Maryland’s season is essentially over. So is Southern Cal’s There are only a handful of schools that could survive an early season loss and those aren’t any of them. The other thing is the myth that full stadiums were “normal”. That was true for maybe a few programs at the very top but for most the only time they got a full house was if A. A huge name came to town. Or B. They played a rival. Add the expanded stadiums at places that rarely sold out, North Carolina is a good example, and the problem is even worse.

Reaction Score
I wonder how many students are from out of state and don’t necessarily care about their game attendance as they do getting an education and networking. I get out of state tuition brings in revenue but in the long term it’s actually negatively impacting CT economy as most students leave CT to work in their home state or city. This can also affect the fan perspective as well being that most out of staters aren’t as familiar with the football program as a kid that has grown up in CT their whole life supporting their flagship university. Over the years I’m sure there has been an increase in out of state student population which may reduce the passion we used to have in the 90’s and 00’s. Granted, with media making things easier to watch events and our athletics playing mediocre in comparison to previous years I understand the downfall in attendance. Surely, if conference realignment never happened, would we still be in this predicament? We have NO IDEA. It happened and we are adapting to it. I personally think it’s just how New Englanders live/act. When teams do well, fans show up. It’s a very sad and unfortunate truth being a CT native. It’s not the same in other states because the geography and social interaction is very different. Traveling to a flagship football game is a big event. Here it’s just another thing to do. CT is crammed with all kinds of distractions.

Reaction Score
As I said it is a national phenomenon. Attendance has declined in 7 of the past 8 years. In 2018 the Big 10 had average lowest attendance in 25 years. Attendance was down in the SEC to the lowest level since 2004. Overall football attendance was at the lowest level since 1996. The PAC average was the lowest since the 1980s. Georgia sells out games but actual attendance is closer to 75000 than the 92000 they claim. So it isn’t a UConn problem alone by any means.

And virtually everybody is seeing big drops in student attendance. Various surveys by various schools identify the advantages of watching at home (cold beer various angles on your 70 inch tv no rest room lines cheap food) poor or no internet connection, and a bid one is early start times. Students don’t want 11:11 kicks. Or even noon. And unpredictable start times. I can look at an NFL schedule and know that in Week 8 my team will play at 1 pm on Sunday. I look at the UConn schedule and have no idea what time the games will be sometimes until the week before. Letting tv use the sport as a made for tv event has its downsides and one of those is declining attendance.

Reaction Score
And by "snuck" you mean just walked in laughing because our buddy was taking tickets and he really didn't give sheet one way or the other.

Threw a rope over top row of seats and pulled it up from the parking lot below. It was almost halftime before they confiscated it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Threw a rope over top row of seats and pulled it up from the parking lot below. It was almost halftime before they confiscated it.
You mean the jacket covering everything but the tap didn't fool them? ;)

Reaction Score
You mean the jacket covering everything but the tap didn't fool them? ;)

Last row of the stadium, surrounded by about 9,000 students. By the time they figured out where it was, the keg was half empty.

Reaction Score
They should remove the bleachers on both sidelines and put in chair back seats. Would enhance the experience and make the stadium appear fuller.

Reaction Score
Only half? Man you guys are kinda wimpy

Most students figure out a way to bring in their own. No reason to to stand in line for beer from someone else’s keg. But it was fun.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
They should remove the bleachers on both sidelines and put in chair back seats. Would enhance the experience and make the stadium appear fuller.
....and the $$ for this comes from....

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
RIP Dog Pound?
"The Pack will not take the place of existing student sections at UConn, but will work in concert with them to provide the best gameday atmosphere in the country."

Reaction Score
hey speaking of the dog pound - does anyone have an old 'tie dye' Connecticut football shirt they are willing to sell? somehow lost mine in the move. loved that shirt.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
oh there isnt a few thousand new students to replace the old ones? thanks for clarifiying
In Raleigh, evidently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom