Student Section is a Joke | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Student Section is a Joke

Reaction Score
Get some awesome food options in there as well (Bears BBQ, Chick-Fil-A, etc.). Heck, I know we don't have a great football history but it is still a longstanding northeastern program, so build a mini "museum" of UConn football history or football history in the northeast.
Literally all of this exists in the stadium today.

The Dairy Bar sent a truck and had the longest line in the stadium by far.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm sorry -- it's not true. We sold out the HCC for big games in the Corny Thompson era before we were competing at a national level.
True, but the Civic Center was brandy new and Thompson and McKay were an exciting class with scoring punch.

(Obligatory "I wonder what Calhoun would have done with a front court of Thompson, McKay, and Aleksinas...")

Reaction Score
The students have been leaving early for decades, but it would go from completely full to half full (or less). It used to be a mid to late 3rd quarter exodus, even one possession games. Now we go from 1/2-3/4 full student section to a virtually empty student section. And the score is irrelevant.

For years posters argued we should extend the student section. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Which is basically where we were at during the the first Edsall regime.

No, that's not just true. From coming into the Rent through Edsall's departure, we played to close to 90% filled stadiums on average ealyed the
True, but the Civic Center was brandy new and Thompson and McKay were an exciting class with scoring punch.

(Obligatory "I wonder what Calhoun would have done with a front court of Thompson, McKay, and Aleksinas...")

No, it wasn't. It had already had the roof collapse. And while the Thompson era was exciting, it was exciting at a regional level only. It was irrelevant to being a national player. The truth is UConn basketball always had good statewide interest and fan support, even before the program mattered.

Reaction Score
I'm a 27 year old alumni and now live outside of CT, but most of my friends from UConn who live in central CT definitely go to more Yardgoat games than UConn football games. Part of the reason is UConn football stinks but I think another part of the reason is that the Rent is not a fun stadium to be in for 3+ hours.

The Rent could use a renovation to make more fan gathering areas inside - similar to the bar at the XL center that is always packed before and during games. Dunkin Park has great places to hang out and some good food / drink options inside.

UConn should create a "fan zone" with a massive sports bar and TVs that play other college games going on (people are betting on these and have an interest, plus they are probably more entertaining than what on the field). Set-up a lawn with corn hole and other games. Get some awesome food options in there as well (Bears BBQ, Chick-Fil-A, etc.). Heck, I know we don't have a great football history but it is still a longstanding northeastern program, so build a mini "museum" of UConn football history or football history in the northeast.

Many pro stadiums have places like this because they are smart enough to realize they can't expect fans to sit in their seats for the whole game anymore.

I like your idea of a mini museum of Northeast Football history. Most people here in this football hotbed never knew the first few Heisman Trophy winners were from schools that (#1 is no longer playing football Chicago) or (#2 Ivy League players). It would be nice to put a statue of Walter Camp in the museum. (Yes, I know he is from Yale, but we should honor him)

Reaction Score
I'm a 27 year old alumni and now live outside of CT, but most of my friends from UConn who live in central CT definitely go to more Yardgoat games than UConn football games. Part of the reason is UConn football stinks but I think another part of the reason is that the Rent is not a fun stadium to be in for 3+ hours.

The Rent could use a renovation to make more fan gathering areas inside - similar to the bar at the XL center that is always packed before and during games. Dunkin Park has great places to hang out and some good food / drink options inside.

UConn should create a "fan zone" with a massive sports bar and TVs that play other college games going on (people are betting on these and have an interest, plus they are probably more entertaining than what on the field). Set-up a lawn with corn hole and other games. Get some awesome food options in there as well (Bears BBQ, Chick-Fil-A, etc.). Heck, I know we don't have a great football history but it is still a longstanding northeastern program, so build a mini "museum" of UConn football history or football history in the northeast.

Many pro stadiums have places like this because they are smart enough to realize they can't expect fans to sit in their seats for the whole game anymore.

Do any colleges have these amenities in their stadiums.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
No, that's not just true. From coming into the Rent through Edsall's departure, we played to close to 90% filled stadiums on average ealyed the

No, it wasn't. It had already had the roof collapse. And while the Thompson era was exciting, it was exciting at a regional level only. It was irrelevant to being a national player. The truth is UConn basketball always had good statewide interest and fan support, even before the program mattered.
Meh. It was built in '75 collapsed in 78 (Thompson and McKay's frosh year) and reopened for their junior season in 80. So in 80 when it reopened it was a five year old facility that had only been operated for three years. It was still a big deal going there.

But I agree that UConn was a regional player for for years. Still, Thompson and McKay felt like 'national level' recruits at the time. There was a lot of buzz for the program.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I used to go to the basketball games in the old building back in 1983 and 1984. The Huskies were always battling Seton Hall for last place. It was pre-Calhoun. And that was before global warming ... it was cold back then.

Reaction Score
I am calling my contacts at UConn tomorrow - for a meeting.

I am proposing a 3 credit course that requires attendance at UConn sporting events til the end of the semester, classroom time to discuss the phenomena of falling attendance, etc.
I would not be shocked if they already had something related to what you describe for some course under some minor/major or even elective. I remember when I went to UNI in Maine between 2005-08 I took a few electives. Two of the electives I took were Sports Management and a music class (Jazz). For both courses, one of the requirements to pass was to attend a game (for the SM course) and some local jazz concerts for the music class and write essays related to some of the topics covered in class. I think I even posted one of those essays on the bball board. The essay was "How to market the University of Connecticut men's basketball program" or something like that. I also went to, if I recall, a UMaine fball game and a USM bball game. For the music class, I went to 4 local jazz concerts in Portland, Maine. It was actually a lot of fun and refreshing to see teachers who not only encouraged, but required students to connect classroom material with practical real life experience. These outside the classroom assignments also led to interesting class discussions in the class and helped many students understand the concepts covered in class better. I think your proposal SHOULD go over well and be accepted with flying colors. Especially in a sports management course or any major related to Athletic training, etc. and not just limited to sports related majors and courses.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am calling my contacts at UConn tomorrow - for a meeting.

I am proposing a 3 credit course that requires attendance at UConn sporting events til the end of the semester, classroom time to discuss the phenomena of falling attendance, etc.

I am bringing this article with me(have posted this before):

In order to attract the students to ANY sporting event moving forward, there needs to be an investment in the game day experience. Drones with overhead camera angles, apps that allow people to view different angles(wouldn't you like to see the same things at the stadium you see at home?) How about ordering food at your seat and have it delivered? Technology that has been at arenas for years but never here.

There is a solution to this problem -but, my fear is with the state involved, the technology needed will blow them away and it won't get done. Even getting free wifi has been a challenge at the Rent, XL and Gampel - but I want to see all the stops pulled out before we give up.

The fact that the Rent does not put up many replays on the video board does not help. It was better against Illinois but when there is a referee review of a close play and the video board is showing a graphic on repeat it is evident clueless people are running the show. Things have gotten sloppy. The tee shirt gun malfunction which was an embarrassment. Running Jonathan out for the first game right into the plastic tower shooting fireworks. Annoucements for the High School hall of fame and they can't even put a graphic on the board as each honorees name is read? No one realizes the fans can not hear the name because of the PA system echos? It may be time for a new AD.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
The tickets are free, right? I mean... free! Good God, people! Free tickets to see your college football team and both home games have been beautiful weather.

You can't make this stuff up...
Millennials.... yes you can son

Reaction Score
Winning fixes everything...In the early 90s I think the Patriots had a dismal 14,000 season ticket holders one year around the Rust/ MacPherson timeframe. They were near dead last in attendance with announced 35,000 -45,000 crowds (and more like 25,000 in the seats). They were about ready to move to Saint Louis. With Parcells coming in and the subsequent first big winning season and new ownership, they sold out and it has been since. Moral - people like winning and don’t like losing.

Reaction Score
The students have been leaving early for decades, but it would go from completely full to half full (or less). It used to be a mid to late 3rd quarter exodus, even one possession games. Now we go from 1/2-3/4 full student section to a virtually empty student section. And the score is irrelevant.

For years posters argued we should extend the student section. :rolleyes:

Why do they leave early? Do student sections at other northeast colleges empty out early?

Reaction Score
Meh. It was built in '75 collapsed in 78 (Thompson and McKay's frosh year) and reopened for their junior season in 80. So in 80 when it reopened it was a five year old facility that had only been operated for three years. It was still a big deal going there.

But I agree that UConn was a regional player for for years. Still, Thompson and McKay felt like 'national level' recruits at the time. There was a lot of buzz for the program.
It did. UConn made the top 20 Chuck A's transfer year. They had three NBA guys on that roster. Had three, 20 win seasons during Thompson's years.

Reaction Score
Do any colleges have these amenities in their stadiums.

I believe that Rutgers built a beer garden at their stadium a number of years ago.
Bears Bbque is located by section 130

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Winning fixes everything...In the early 90s I think the Patriots had a dismal 14,000 season ticket holders one year around the Rust/ MacPherson timeframe. They were near dead last in attendance with announced 35,000 -45,000 crowds (and more like 25,000 in the seats). They were about ready to move to Saint Louis. With Parcells coming in and the subsequent first big winning season and new ownership, they sold out and it has been since. Moral - people like winning and don’t like losing.
My recollection is that MA would have easily let the pats move to hartford had not Parcells starting turning things around. They would have called krafts bluff and moved (hartford or somewhere else)

Reaction Score
You know what's weird? I sit in 214 behind the student section and the student section filled in pretty nicely during the first quarter.

But all the students were sitting down. I've never seen that before. Previous years they all stood and made tons of noise. This year, nothing. They were just sitting there, hanging out.

Maybe quaaludes got popular again?

Also, how hard is it to sneak in a wooden flask. Come on. You got into UConn. Surely you can figure out a way to keep drinking in a stadium.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Here’s something none of you think about - you’re all married, old, and have forgotten.

College girls (and girls who party still) require 2-3 hour power naps between a day drink and going out at night. This is a necessity - otherwise they won’t make it. UConn shuttles you to the Rent for a 3-4 hour game that starts at 1pm. You stay until the end, it’s 4-5pm. You wait 30 min to get ONTO the shuttle, and then 30 min back to campus.

Now it’s 5-6pm. All you want is your bed, your hangover is starting to kick in because the Rent stops selling beer after the 3rd quarter and if you’re underage there’s a good chance you’ve never had a sip of booze since the tailgate. That’s a recipe for disaster. Again, college girls just want their bed. This is elementary.

So the girls get home at 6pm, by the time they eat and gossip prior to nap time, it’s 7pm. Night night everyone see you in 2-3 hours. It’s 10pm.

They still need to GET READY TO GO OUT. TACK ON ANOTHER HOUR MINIMUM. Now they’ve missed the pre-game. Now they’re that drunk girl at the party throwing up and texting their ex-boyfriend about sex positions because they chugged a bottle of vodka to catch up. Madeline is yelling at Suzie because she texted Mark. Sarah is too drunk to walk home. Now it’s a show. Where’s Emelia? Wasn’t she with Darren?

This whole timeline is just difficult. Especially for 3:30 games it’s a non-starter. Big reason why everyone leaves early. You can’t miss a Saturday night - they are precious. They are valued more than the outcome of the football game. The girls leave early and the guys follow the girls home. Do you want your chick going home with Jack Johnson? He’s a scumbag. Now he’s cuddling on the shuttle with your girl and you just lost your opportunity to nut tonight. Have a nice night. Of course you’re going home early with her. Screw football you want to get it tonight.

1pm games require early exit.

3:30pm games require even earlier exit.

7:00pm games might have a better showing because that’s the thing to do. You’ll stumble home at 11pm with your girl and go to sleep.

It’s all about going out and getting with whoever. Football 4th quarters at the Rent get in the way of that.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Here’s something none of you think about - you’re all married, old, and have forgotten.

College girls (and girls who party still) require 2-3 hour power naps between a day drink and going out at night. This is a necessity - otherwise they won’t make it. UConn shuttles you to the Rent for a 3-4 hour game that starts at 1pm. You stay until the end, it’s 4-5pm. You wait 30 min to get ONTO the shuttle, and then 30 min back to campus.

Now it’s 5-6pm. All you want is your bed, your hangover is starting to kick in because the Rent stops selling beer after the 3rd quarter and if you’re underage there’s a good chance you’ve never had a sip of booze since the tailgate. That’s a recipe for disaster. Again, college girls just want their bed. This is elementary.

So the girls get home at 6pm, by the time they eat and gossip prior to nap time, it’s 7pm. Night night everyone see you in 2-3 hours. It’s 10pm.

They still need to GET READY TO GO OUT. TACK ON ANOTHER HOUR MINIMUM. Now they’ve missed the pre-game. Now they’re that drunk girl at the party throwing up and texting their ex-boyfriend about sex positions because they chugged a bottle of vodka to catch up. Madeline is yelling at Suzie because she texted Mark. Sarah is too drunk to walk home. Now it’s a # 2 show. Where’s Emelia? Wasn’t she with Darren?

This whole timeline is just difficult. Especially for 3:30 games it’s a non-starter. Big reason why everyone leaves early. You can’t miss a Saturday night - they are precious. They are valued more than the outcome of the football game. The girls leave early and the guys follow the girls home. Do you want your chick going home with Jack Johnson? He’s a scumbag. Now he’s cuddling on the shuttle with your girl and you just lost your opportunity to nut tonight. Have a nice night. Of course you’re going home early with her. Screw football you want to get it tonight.

1pm games require early exit.

3:30pm games require even earlier exit.

7:00pm games might have a better showing because that’s the thing to do. You’ll stumble home at 11pm with your girl and go to sleep.

It’s all about going out and getting with whoever. Football 4th quarters at the Rent get in the way of that.

"I have to say that’s the most amazing story I’ve ever heard. What amazes me most is that you were taken in by it." Warden Norton.

When did day game kickoff change to 1:00?

Reaction Score
You know what's weird? I sit in 214 behind the student section and the student section filled in pretty nicely during the first quarter.

But all the students were sitting down. I've never seen that before. Previous years they all stood and made tons of noise. This year, nothing. They were just sitting there, hanging out.

Maybe quaaludes got popular again?

Also, how hard is it to sneak in a wooden flask. Come on. You got into UConn. Surely you can figure out a way to keep drinking in a stadium.

In college, we snuck a keg into the stadium.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Literally all of this exists in the stadium today.

The Dairy Bar sent a truck and had the longest line in the stadium by far.

Haven't been in a couple of years since I moved out of state. But a few years ago when I went the food and drink options were pretty sub-par. Good to know they have some better options now. Would still be cool to put them all in one large open food court area with a big bar and TVs. It may not help fix the problem of keeping students there, but I think a lot more young alumni would go to the game to hang out if you gave them a space to do it that wasn't metal bleachers in the beating sun.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom