This space for rent
Reaction Score
1. Novelty factor is still high
2. The attendance numbers are more inflated than tires on a monster truck
3. For profit business that employes private sector employees
4. The facility is light years better
5. Less competition on stuff to do especially youth sports
6. Centrally located in and out
7. Nobody cares who wins so you just leave when you get bored.
8. Perceived as family friendly and more affordable
9. People like to be outside in nice weather

The Rent had a novelty period too. So did New Britain Stadium.

Just adding: Approx 65 home dates....mostly in June/July/Aug ....outdoor time! 3hr event

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Look, of course that is true but that isn’t unique to UConn in any way. Every team with a large fanbase can tie that fanbases growth to a specific event or “miraculous post season run”

Or those teams with large fan bases had big-time athletic departments and basketball programs from the start, rather than competing against mainly America East schools for most of the 20th century.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Right but it still shows a level of fan commitment and engagement that they’re able to draw every night
It's only holds 6,000. If Rentschler sat 10,000 at the FBS level, it'd be packed.

Re: the Yardgoats, I'd be interested in true turnstile data. Season tickets are pretty in expensive for minor league sports and it's not a huge loss to miss a weeknight game. Also, not only do they in all likelihood base attendance on tickets distributed, they inflate official attendance by a not so insignificant value. The Whale did it too. They all do it.

Reaction Score
The basketball fanbase only exists in the first place because of miraculous postseason runs. HuskyMania and the subsequent growth of the program is tied directly to a program that competed at the most elite level of the entire sport. That is the only thing that drew people in, not history or tradition or intrinsic connection to the university.

Look at the shift in “fan” enthusiasm once the NBE move was made and you’ll understand.
Look, of course that is true but that isn’t unique to UConn in any way. Every team with a large fanbase can tie that fanbases growth to a specific event or “miraculous post season run”

The Tobacco Road schools were football schools until some guy decided to broadcast the 1957 national championship between UNC and WILT CHAMBERLAIN (and Kansas) on local TV in Raleigh touching off a mania for ACC basketball in the region.

Reaction Score
Or those teams with large fan bases had big-time athletic departments and basketball programs from the start, rather than competing against mainly America East schools for most of the 20th century.
The Tobacco Road schools were football schools until some guy decided to broadcast the 1957 national championship between UNC and WILT CHAMBERLAIN (and Kansas) on local TV in Raleigh touching off a mania for ACC basketball in the region.

How is what I described above and Dave Gavitt deciding to broadcast big time northeastern basketball 22 years later much different?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yup, all that is fair. But there still seems to be youngish people that go! At least according to my social media feeds...
How Youngish? If they are going during the week, young kids don't have school the next morning and their is no flack for leaving early. If they are driving age, they don't have to go with parents. Younger teens might be dropped off and picked up.

Reaction Score
How is what I described above and Dave Gavitt deciding to broadcast big time northeastern basketball 22 years later much different?

@Stainmaster don’t buy into ESPN’s myth making regarding the ACC.

The “historic” Duke-UNC rivalry traces its roots to the ancient year of...1961 when Larry Brown (yes! That Larry Brown, the one that is still alive and cheating in this conference till a couple years ago) fought Art Heyman. That was just 3 years before Duke played UConn in the elite eight for the first time.

College basketball history isn’t the same as college football. You can’t use the same time scale.

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Just look at this coming season - the home games are pointless unless you are a junkie. If they win who cares, if they lose it’s a disaster.
Or unless you are invested in the home team. When I was at school we got up for the big games, but we got up for the small games too. We went to football at Memorial with the the expectation that the team would lose. (Although to your earlier point, we did have a keg - probably were at least 3 IIRC, ours was at the 50 yard line.) We'd also go to the soccer games, but the soccer team was good and went on to win a natty while I was there.

The difference, apparently, is that now people are going not to support the school team but to be entertained. It's more of a pro mind set. I think people here nailed it in that in the internet age there's a ton of choices all the time so people are more, uh, let's call it more discriminating. That and HDTV probably are the two biggest contributing factors. Tough to know how to change that. Winning helps but, as you point out, isn't a panacea.

Reaction Score
How Youngish? If they are going during the week, young kids don't have school the next morning and their is no flack for leaving early. If they are driving age, they don't have to go with parents. Younger teens might be dropped off and picked up.

Mid to late 20’s

Husky25

Reaction Score
Mid to late 20’s

So folks with disposable income and nothing better to do for an hour or two on a Summer Afternoon/Evening.

In other words, the 9 reasons @whaler11 pointed out.

Reaction Score
So folks with disposable income and nothing better to do for an hour or two on a Summer Afternoon/Evening.

In other words, the 9 reasons @whaler11 pointed out.

Well yeah aside from the whole part about people in greater Hartford being too old to attend sporting events ;)

Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs was around back then? Wow.

Reaction Score
It's only holds 6,000. If Rentschler sat 10,000 at the FBS level, it'd be packed.

Re: the Yardgoats, I'd be interested in true turnstile data. Season tickets are pretty in expensive for minor league sports and it's not a huge loss to miss a weeknight game. Also, not only do they in all likelihood base attendance on tickets distributed, they inflate official attendance by a not so insignificant value. The Whale did it too. They all do it.
I was told they count heads in the building. Staff, security, police, EMT, players, coaches, grounds crew, vendors... everybody. Probably adds 500+/-(??) which, for the Rent is insignificant, but for the Yard Goats could be a roughly 8% bump in attendance figures.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
They walked out after Illinois scored 24 straight points. How many adults were thinking "Here we go again." ?

You stay through half time to see how the Huskies come out. No games are over at halftime, period.
Most students are not football fans and go for everything else. I miss fans in the student section like Blue and White Kid who also were there through thick an thin

Reaction Score
But what I don't get is why did the student section leave at halftime? It was a close game.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry -- it's not true. We sold out the HCC for big games in the Corny Thompson era before we were competing at a national level.

Reaction Score
Thought the turn out wasn't terrible. I got in about 15-20 min before kickoff and thought wow this place is empty but the student section looks pretty good. And the mass exodus was pretty bad but that's normal for the students when things aren't looking good. Shocking how quiet they were though, absolutely dead even in the first quarter. Up until the last 2 years if they were there in any type of numbers you could count on them to be loud.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A lot of it has to do to the fact that the journey is usually a lot more exciting than the destination.

The fanbase had been spoiled beyond belief and then we had our league swept from under our feet and left on an island by ourselves.

It really was just a completely perfect #2 storm of things to happen.

Then when you look into the other issues, i.e. two stadiums, alumni leaving the state, different type of student attending the school, it further stacks against our situation.

I think the Big East move will give hoops a shot in the arm. Football is forever relegated to second class, but a good 7,8 win UConn team I think could still hit 30k+ for a name brand school or a local rival.

Reaction Score
A lot of it has to do to the fact that the journey is usually a lot more exciting than the destination.

The fanbase had been spoiled beyond belief and then we had our league swept from under our feet and left on an island by ourselves.

It really was just a completely perfect #2 storm of things to happen.

Then when you look into the other issues, i.e. two stadiums, alumni leaving the state, different type of student attending the school, it further stacks against our situation.

I think the Big East move will give hoops a shot in the arm. Football is forever relegated to second class, but a good 7,8 win UConn team I think could still hit 30k+ for a name brand school or a local rival.

Which is basically where we were at during the the first Edsall regime.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I'm a 27 year old alumni and now live outside of CT, but most of my friends from UConn who live in central CT definitely go to more Yardgoat games than UConn football games. Part of the reason is UConn football stinks but I think another part of the reason is that the Rent is not a fun stadium to be in for 3+ hours.

The Rent could use a renovation to make more fan gathering areas inside - similar to the bar at the XL center that is always packed before and during games. Dunkin Park has great places to hang out and some good food / drink options inside.

UConn should create a "fan zone" with a massive sports bar and TVs that play other college games going on (people are betting on these and have an interest, plus they are probably more entertaining than what on the field). Set-up a lawn with corn hole and other games. Get some awesome food options in there as well (Bears BBQ, Chick-Fil-A, etc.). Heck, I know we don't have a great football history but it is still a longstanding northeastern program, so build a mini "museum" of UConn football history or football history in the northeast.

Many pro stadiums have places like this because they are smart enough to realize they can't expect fans to sit in their seats for the whole game anymore.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Which is basically where we were at during the the first Edsall regime.

More or less. Not sure if we'll ever get to the season ticket holder numbers we had before, but an 8 win team playing a decent schedule could be a lot of fun.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am calling my contacts at UConn tomorrow - for a meeting.

I am proposing a 3 credit course that requires attendance at UConn sporting events til the end of the semester, classroom time to discuss the phenomena of falling attendance, etc.

I am bringing this article with me(have posted this before):

In order to attract the students to ANY sporting event moving forward, there needs to be an investment in the game day experience. Drones with overhead camera angles, apps that allow people to view different angles(wouldn't you like to see the same things at the stadium you see at home?) How about ordering food at your seat and have it delivered? Technology that has been at arenas for years but never here.

There is a solution to this problem -but, my fear is with the state involved, the technology needed will blow them away and it won't get done. Even getting free wifi has been a challenge at the Rent, XL and Gampel - but I want to see all the stops pulled out before we give up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I am calling my contacts at UConn tomorrow - for a meeting.

I am proposing a 3 credit course that requires attendance at UConn sporting events til the end of the semester, classroom time to discuss the phenomena of falling attendance, etc.

I am bringing this article with me(have posted this before):

In order to attract the students to ANY sporting event moving forward, there needs to be an investment in the game day experience. Drones with overhead camera angles, apps that allow people to view different angles(wouldn't you like to see the same things at the stadium you see at home?) How about ordering food at your seat and have it delivered? Technology that has been at arenas for years but never here.

There is a solution to this problem -but, my fear is with the state involved, the technology needed will blow them away and it won't get done. Even getting free wifi has been a challenge at the Rent, XL and Gampel - but I want to see all the stops pulled out before we give up.

thats the one good thing about low attendance. lte works great at the rent right now. could
watch the tennis the other day.

Reaction Score
The Rent could use a renovation to make more fan gathering areas inside - similar to the bar at the XL center that is always packed before and during games. Dunkin Park has great places to hang out and some good food / drink options inside.

UConn should create a "fan zone" with a massive sports bar and TVs that play other college games going on (people are betting on these and have an interest, plus they are probably more entertaining than what on the field). Set-up a lawn with corn hole and other games. Get some awesome food options in there as well (Bears BBQ, Chick-Fil-A, etc.).

Memories... Location of the Coors Club

Also the Rent already has a Bear’s and a Chick-Fil-A and pretty decent other food and craft beer options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom