Student Boycott? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Student Boycott?

Reaction Score
Was wondering if buses from Storrs broke down, here’s pic at 4 min left in 1st half;

Attachments

• 2AE654B7-B9E7-4F6F-8CEA-D537A2EFDA62.jpeg
    2AE654B7-B9E7-4F6F-8CEA-D537A2EFDA62.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 183

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Might have some truth to it, but the BC game was great if you weren't there. Crowd was awesome.
I was at the BC game and attend a few games every year. Yes the kids cheer when there’s a goal but it’s nothing the rest of the time.

Reaction Score
Why are people still surprised that students don’t go to these games?
Students went to UConn games when they had bad Yankee Conference teams. Because they wanted to support their team.
The false sense of entitlement created a fan base a mile wide and an inch deep.snd dropping since 2008
The real question is did the abandonment and indifference play a role in the demise.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Students went to UConn games when they had bad Yankee Conference teams. Because they wanted to support their team.

No, students went to bad UConn Yankee Conference games because they didn't have anything else to do.

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, social media- basically, if they had the internet in 1964, the same thing would be going on.

Reaction Score
Was wondering if buses from Storrs broke down, here’s pic at 4 min left in 1st half;

Besides the student section, looks like a bigger crowd than i would have thought given the circumstances

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Besides the student section, looks like a bigger crowd than i would have thought given the circumstances

They papered the house with free tickets.

This was the free game for football season ticket holders.

Reaction Score
If you want to retain some players and recruits, the move toward a new coach must be made NOW, not at the end of the season. Appoint an interim coach.

Any coach we want will be busy through April actually playing basketball and wont make any announcements or probably allow themselves to be distracted. I would imagine that if AD is doing his job, he's already reached out to numerous agents who are working behind the scene.

Reaction Score
This game had everything going against it regarding student attendance. First off, it's midterm season. Tons of kids are studying, the library has been packed. Second, it's nickel night at campus bars. Hundreds and hundreds of kids flock to bars in groups to get 4 drinks for a buck from 8-9:30. Finally, it's just not always easy to get to Hartford for some students. Underclassmen don't have cars so if they can't get a bus pass, they're out of luck. Even some of the upperclassmen don't have cars and even if they do, not too many are willing to travel 30 minutes to Hartford.

Fuzzy math........

Reaction Score
I don't care if you pay people to go - 10,000+ for a college basketball game between two bad teams is impressive.

The generational thing has been beaten to death. I'm not sure if students are less likely to attend games than those before them or if it just seems that way. In either event, I wish people were more like me and planned their lives around college sports, but that does not appear to be the case.

Reaction Score
If the students aren't going to show up in the student section, sell those seats to the GP. Screw them. We need bodies in those seats, actually paying bodies. The same holds true for football. Less than half the student section was occupied this season so sell season tickets in those vacated seats. They will get the message.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Well I found all the MBB fans who no longer go to the BB games. They go to the HOCKEY games in Hartford. Winning begot fan attendance, Plus playing in a league wit your regional neighbors fills civic centers.

You nailed it. The guys on this board who complain are clueless.

Nobody wants to see Tulsa, ECU and Tulane. If I was a student I wouldn't go either. It's embarrassing. The AD and Pres know this.

Hockey games against BU, BC, Providence... now I'll get involved with that.

Reaction Score
Helps that Hockey East is arguably the best conference in the country. Local rivalries also a factor, but yhe ECAC has local teams, just not as compelling

Nobody wants to see Tulsa, ECU and Tulane. If I was a student I wouldn't go either. It's embarrassing. The AD and Pres know this.

Reaction Score
Well I found all the MBB fans who no longer go to the BB games. They go to the HOCKEY games in Hartford. Winning begot fan attendance, Plus playing in a league wit your regional neighbors fills civic centers.

It was pretty staggering to see the traffic the UConn Hockey account was generating last night compared to what the hoops handle has been doing.

I mean, we should keep things in perspective - a dying basketball team still draws more against Tulsa than the hockey team at the climax of their relevancy does against BU (ticket pricing probably played a role, yes). But it's hard not to see what's happening here with regards to what you were mentioning. The hockey conference is following the same blueprint that the Big East did when they first got going and the AAC is like minor league sports. It's going to take quite a while to close (the hockey games aren't even on TV yet) the gap but it will close if the school allows it to.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
No, students went to bad UConn Yankee Conference games because they didn't have anything else to do.

Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, social media- basically, if they had the internet in 1964, the same thing would be going on.

Thank you. AzHuskiepop, insane take.

Reaction Score

Yet we used to fill up against Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Northeastern, etc. This is a lame excuse for an awful UConn class of 2018. Worst student section in UConn recent history.

Reaction Score
As a recent graduate, trust me, the students DESPERATELY want something to cheer for. The product on the court right now is just not worth putting aside studying and coursework to drive 30 minutes to Hartford to watch them play Tulsa on a week day .

Also it would help if more, big time games were at Gampel..

Reaction Score
It is not an organized boycott but it sure is a non formal one. The Athletic Dept. has lost its connection to the students, and students want to be heard, we hate what Ollie has done and want him gone ASAP. To be honest I have been surprised at how respectful student fans have been at the games, I have been expecting some "Fire Ollie" or "Out with Ollie" chants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom