Strong Underlying Fundamentals: UConn Football is Poised for Growth, With or Without Mora | The Boneyard

Strong Underlying Fundamentals: UConn Football is Poised for Growth, With or Without Mora

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
More than a year later, I wonder what Mora thinks about this job and living in CT. Is it what he expected? Better? Worse? Is he happy here?

Reaction Score
Please read the article before you comment. You obviously didn’t because if you did, you’d realize how ludicrous your comment is.
I think the timing of the article is strange. Why are we even thinking about life without Jim Mora? Sure, he would like to be in a power conference, all UConn FB supporters should want that and while he has mentioned losing out on some recruits because of a lack of P5 (I guess now P4) status other than that, it seems like he is really enjoying being our coach.

If we don’t get into a power conference soon (and personally, I feel like it is materially less than 50/50 that we do) losing Jim Mora as our FB coach will just be one of many negative outcomes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the timing of the article is strange. Why are we even thinking about life without Jim Mora? Sure, he would like to be in a power conference, all UConn FB supporters should want that and while he has mentioned losing out on some recruits because of a lack of P5 (I guess now P4) status other than that, it seems like he is really enjoying being our coach.

If we don’t get into a power conference soon (and personally, I feel like it is materially less than 50/50 that we do) losing Jim Mora as our FB coach will just be one of many negative outcomes.
I don't think Mora is going anywhere. As long as he continues to receive reasonable financial support for the program, I think he's here for the duration of his career.

Reaction Score
I don't think Mora is going anywhere. As long as he continues to receive reasonable financial support for the program, I think he's here for the duration of his career.
Agreed but that’s the whole crux of the matter, how can UConn continue to provide that financial support and the NIL support when it earns so much less in revenues than the P4 members? How long can this be sustainable especially with NIL?

So, let’s just enjoy HCJM for as long as we have him and the other outstanding coaches on our FB staff. I am hoping for a longer than expected run and really pumped up for this season, Thursday can’t come soon enough!

Reaction Score

Y’all need to read the whole purpose of The UConn Appeal. The whole point of it is to correct National misperceptions of the UConn brand in order to attract a Power Conference invite. There is a perception that UConn footbal‘s growth is tied to Mora, which is exactly what they said about UConn basketball and Calhoun. It’s not. And that’s why I’m making the point it isn’t and that we’re good regardless of who is in charge.

Reaction Score
we’re good regardless of who is in charge.

even Alabama is not good regardless of who is in charge. Who is in charge matters a lot for every team. Our men's basketball team recently fell off a cliff because of who was in charge. Nothing wrong with pointing out we have great facilities and strong support from the school and state and the false narrative that CT doesn't care about football needs to be beaten down, but the head coach is always critical.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Y’all need to read the whole purpose of The UConn Appeal. The whole point of it is to correct National misperceptions of the UConn brand in order to attract a Power Conference invite. There is a perception that UConn footbal‘s growth is tied to Mora, which is exactly what they said about UConn basketball and Calhoun. It’s not. And that’s why I’m making the point it isn’t and that we’re good regardless of who is in charge.
The governor has stated that he is behind the need to support UConn athletics at the highest level regardless of conference affiliation. There may come a time when we won't be able to keep up, but it won't be within the next 10 years.

Reaction Score
even Alabama is not good regardless of who is in charge. Who is in charge matters a lot for every team. Our men's basketball team fell off a cliff because of who was in charge.
Good call. You are correct. Should have caveated it by saying we’re good because the admin will take their time getting the next hire right. Appreciate you calling me out, however!

Reaction Score
I appreciate the effort but when it cones to college FB especially it is not logical but completely subjective in my opinion. Of course wins on the field matter and butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV but you are also battling “history and tradition” and that takes years maybe decades if ever to overcome.

Take Colorado. Do you think that if they weren’t an original Big 8 member they would have waltzed into the B12 ahead of us? The football product has been as bad as ours for a number of seasons now. Coach Deion helps of course but if you looked at the athletic programs side by side, I think ours is better and I believe that our athletic brand is more national than theirs. But, they got into a power conference in a matter of days. Why? Because they were already in one and they had historical ties to that one. How do you battle that?

I’ve said it before, I am only worried that the schools already in the P4 are going to break away from the NCAA and form their own FB league aided and abetted by ESPN and the others. If we are not in when that happens (if that happens) then what?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I appreciate the effort but when it cones to college FB especially it is not logical but completely subjective in my opinion. Of course wins on the field matter and butts in the seats and eyeballs on the TV but you are also battling “history and tradition” and that takes years maybe decades if ever to overcome.

Take Colorado. Do you think that if they weren’t an original Big 8 member they would have waltzed into the B12 ahead of us? The football product has been as bad as ours for a number of seasons now. Coach Deion helps of course but if you looked at the athletic programs side by side, I think ours is better and I believe that our athletic brand is more national than theirs. But, they got into a power conference in a matter of days. Why? Because they were already in one and they had historical ties to that one. How do you battle that?
We a better athletics program than just about every team that’s moved to / joined a power conference over the past decade.

The fact that SMU is getting into the ACC ahead of us shows that there is 0 logic in realignment. I really have no idea what UConn can do to prove they are worth it aside from the admin and state leaders running a full blown marketing campaign for our programs (which they seem reluctant to do publicly out of fear of passing off the Big East).

Reaction Score
SMU, what a joke that is compared to us. I haven’t been following but I am sure they would take less than we would on the move but still…

Reaction Score
Jim Mora has a bit of Jim Calhoun in him he has a vision that very few coaches have. I truly believe he wants to do something legendary here against all odds. Yes coaches say it and want to but with Mora you feel it. Yes I know I’m speaking with blue tinted glasses im a homer.

Reaction Score
Please read the article before you comment.
Read it twice and found it to be a buzz kill leading up to a highly anticipated game and season. Not saying the article is nonsensical just not something I think we should be pondering at this point in time. It would be good filler in the off season.
I think the timing of the article is strange.
My thoughts exactly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Read it twice and found it to be a buzz kill leading up to a highly anticipated game and season. Not saying the article is nonsensical just not something I think we should be pondering at this point in time. It would be good filler in the off season.

My thoughts exactly.
That’s totally fair and great points. The problem is tho is it’s tough to wait on this stuff, you know? Conference realignment is moving so fast. But I hear what you’re saying! Appreciate you reading!

Reaction Score
One thing I worry about is BCU firing their coach which will probably happen in a few months. Would JM leave us after say an 8-4 season to grab the money at BCU? That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts!

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
SMU, what a joke that is compared to us. I haven’t been following but I am sure they would take less than we would on the move but still…
They are forgoing 7 years of conference distribution to convince the ACC to let them in.

CL82

Reaction Score
One thing I worry about is BCU firing their coach which will probably happen in a few months. Would JM leave us after say an 8-4 season to grab the money at BCU? That would be the ultimate kick in the nuts!
No

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We come to bury Caesar not to praise him. It's no fun commenting on an article if the author is reading and responding. :⁠,⁠-⁠)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom