Street & Smith's Annual Yearbook Has ND at #1, UConn at #3 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Street & Smith's Annual Yearbook Has ND at #1, UConn at #3

Reaction Score
I think that’s a major stretch. Stanford will be good. If they sign Jones they may be set for a while. Oregon will be competitive, but not able to keep up with the truly elite teams. Ionecu’s lack of speed was exposed during the recent USAB trials. Haven’t seen anything that makes me think UCLA will beat anybody. OSU is well-coached and may surprise a couple good teams, but don’t have the talent to hang at the end.
Hi Alydar, not sure where you are coming up with your analysis on OSU's "talent". This season, OSU's talent will be the deepest it has ever been. Also, deepest experience ever. The new freshman, are also the best we have ever had in a recruiting class. Injuries aside, OSU will be a tough out for any team in the 2018-19 season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Speed without control leaves a lot to be desired. Jordin Canada is probably as fast as anybody, but she gets a lot of criticism around these parts. She needs to play with more control. Speed + control is lethal. How many players really have that? It's been so long since Jefferson has been 100% healthy that I forget what she was like at the top of her game.
When Moriah was healthy, she was able to dominate a game more than anyone not named Stewie. And the gap wasn’t that large.

Reaction Score
I made the investment over the weekend and picked up this year's Street & Smith's Preseason Basketball Yearbook. The women's collegiate section was allocated a total of four pages out of the 300+-page magazine. Collier and Samuelson are among ten players listed as preseason "First Team" All-Americans. Notre Dame has Ogunbowale and Turner listed on the First Team. Mabrey, Shepard, and Young are listed on the 10-member "Second Team". There is also a ten-member All-American "Third Team".

The women's basketball Top 20 for '18-'19 according to Street & Smith is as follows:

1) Notre Dame
2) Oregon
3) UConn
4) Baylor
5) Louisville
6) Mississippi State
7) South Carolina
8) Iowa
9) Maryland
10) Oregon State
11) Stanford
12) Texas A&M
13) Georgia
14) Texas
15) Missouri
16) DePaul
17) North Carolina State
18) Central Michigan
19) Duke
20) California

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
No Tennessee, wow. Athlon won't like that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I made the investment over the weekend and picked up this year's Street & Smith's Preseason Basketball Yearbook. The women's collegiate section was allocated a total of four pages out of the 300+-page magazine. Collier and Samuelson are among ten players listed as preseason "First Team" All-Americans. Notre Dame has Ogunbowale and Turner listed on the First Team. Mabrey, Shepard, and Young are listed on the 10-member "Second Team". There is also a ten-member All-American "Third Team".

The women's basketball Top 20 for '18-'19 according to Street & Smith is as follows:

1) Notre Dame
2) Oregon
3) UConn
4) Baylor
5) Louisville
6) Mississippi State
7) South Carolina
8) Iowa
9) Maryland
10) Oregon State
11) Stanford
12) Texas A&M
13) Georgia
14) Texas
15) Missouri
16) DePaul
17) North Carolina State
18) Central Michigan
19) Duke
20) California
Thanks and welcome! There are 2 schools listed that are not usually so highly ranked--Iowa and Central Michigan. I know Iowa has one very good player; I'll have to look at their roster and that of CMU.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thanks and welcome! There are 2 schools listed that are not usually so highly ranked--Iowa and Central Michigan. I know Iowa has one very good player; I'll have to look at their roster and that of CMU.

Milford:

- Iowa, coached by Lisa Bluder, went 24-8 last year and played a marvelously entertaining B1G playoff game against Minnesota, losing 90-89 before getting in the NCAAs and losing to Creighton. They're led, of course, by Megan Gustafson, who scored a mighty impressive 25.7. Four of their next top five scorers return, including Kathleen Doyle (11.1 ppg) and McKenzie Meyer (10.8 ppg). Doyle was initially committed to Nebraska, but when Connie Yow "resigned," she ended up at Iowa.

- Central Michigan, coached by former Michigan coach Sue Guevara, was one of the darlings of the NCAA tourney last year (along with Buffalo) when they beat LSU and Ohio State in Columbus before heading out to the Spokane regional, where they lost to Oregon, their fellow Mid-American conference team). They're an interesting team in that their five starters all averaged more than 30 minutes per game, all averaged double-digit scoring and the entire roster was from Michigan. They've lost their leading scorer, but all the others come back and they've expanded their recruiting to Ontario and Illinois. Fun team to watch. Lots of passing and bombs away. Presley Hudson will bomb away once she gets in the door.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oregon is overrated. We’re definitely better than them. Our defense would blow them out 20 plus points

While I share and appreciate your optimism, until I see at least 3-4 games against top ranked competition, I'll reserve my assessment of this year's team. I hope your take is true and correct. Right now, there are too many unknowns about THIS team.
  1. We only know for sure 3/5 of the starting line up. We don't know who the two new starters will be.
  2. We don't know who the 6th man will be, and how well she can/will mesh and play together with the starters to form a formidable defensive unit. The 6th man (whoever she is) will get lots of playing time this year.
  3. We don't know the strength of the bench yet, or how deep Geno can go yet. How many returning reserves will be ready to play "meaningful minutes" this year?
Can/will the two new starters play defense at the required level and intensity WITHOUT FOULING enough to keep teams in check? It's one thing to play defense, it's another to do it without fouling, and stay in the game, or get get 2 fouls in the first half, and have Geno's trust that he leaves you on the floor the remainder of the half.

Their two best defensive players graduated in May. To my knowledge, there is no one on the bench that came close to playing defense at the level and conviction they did. Their replacements may not be up for the task, at least not right away.

During the recent "glory years" (the Breanna Stewart era), UConn's defense was superior. It was rare for a team to break 60 points on UConn. This was done 7 times during her freshman year, 4 times / sophomore year, 7 times / junior year, and only 5 times her senior year. All of those numbers include post-season play. 23 times in 4 years. This is in 150 + games on her watch.

That's dominance! That's imposing YOUR will on your opponent, and making it stick. Those days are gone. Can UConn return to those glory days?, we'll see. Last year, 11 teams broke 60 points on UConn. If UConn is to return to prominence, it must begin on the defensive end of the court. They MUST be able to make/get stops. Their defense will generate and fuel their offense.

Remember when KML missed 12 games her junior year with an elbow injury? Breanna Banks and Gabby Williams replaced her in the starting line up until she returned. Stewie said later that when KML went out, the chemistry in the starting unit was gone, and it didn't return until she did. That's not a slight on Banks or Williams, just fact. They were use to playing with KML, and knew what she could do, and could depend on her to uphold/fulfill her assignments.

The starters on any team play as a unit. They know and depend that the other players will do what they are supposed to do, and be where they are suppose to be on both ends of the court. That's chemistry. All five players must be in sync for it to flow smoothly and work as designed. One player out of position will weaken or collapse a play or plan.

It's always been my opinion that all of the questions about any basketball team in the preseason will be answered by the Christmas break. This year, that's 11 games, not counting the two exhibition games against Vanguard and Southern Connecticut State. When the team breaks for the holidays, we'll know exactly what kind of team we have, and who can be depended on, as the most challenging portion of the schedule will have been played.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford:

- Iowa, coached by Lisa Bluder, went 24-8 last year and played a marvelously entertaining B1G playoff game against Minnesota, losing 90-89 before getting in the NCAAs and losing to Creighton. They're led, of course, by Megan Gustafson, who scored a mighty impressive 25.7. Four of their next top five scorers return, including Kathleen Doyle (11.1 ppg) and McKenzie Meyer (10.8 ppg). Doyle was initially committed to Nebraska, but when Connie Yow "resigned," she ended up at Iowa.

- Central Michigan, coached by former Michigan coach Sue Guevara, was one of the darlings of the NCAA tourney last year (along with Buffalo) when they beat LSU and Ohio State in Columbus before heading out to the Spokane regional, where they lost to Oregon, their fellow Mid-American conference team). They're an interesting team in that their five starters all averaged more than 30 minutes per game, all averaged double-digit scoring and the entire roster was from Michigan. They've lost their leading scorer, but all the others come back and they've expanded their recruiting to Ontario and Illinois. Fun team to watch. Lots of passing and bombs away. Presley Hudson will bomb away once she gets in the door.
Thanks! I was aware of Gustafson, of course, but had lost track of how each team did in the tourney.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oregon is not overrated. Oregon will only be better this upcoming season. Oregon has an unbelievable set of players on their team. Sabrina, Ruthy Hebard (UCONN would love to have Ruthy Hebard), Maite Cazorla who is a dynamite guard as well, Satou Sabally, and now her 6' 3" sister (also a stud). I'm an OSU Beaver fan, and, I'm telling you, Oregon will be great in 2018-19 season. UCONN will not blow out UO if UCONN gets a chance to play UO next season (injuries aside).

You said: "UCONN would love to have Ruthy Hebard" - A 6'4" forward with 2 years starting experience, that posted 16.3ppg / 8.7rpg over than span, you bet they'd like to have her. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While I share and appreciate your optimism, until I see at least 3-4 games against top ranked competition, I'll reserve my assessment of this year's team. I hope your take is true and correct. Right now, there are too many unknowns about THIS team.
  1. We only know for sure 3/5 of the starting line up. We don't know who the two new starters will be.
  2. We don't know who the 6th man will be, and how well she can/will mesh and play together with the starters to form a formidable defensive unit. The 6th man (whoever she is) will get lots of playing time this year.
  3. We don't know the strength of the bench yet, or how deep Geno can go yet. How many returning reserves will be ready to play "meaningful minutes" this year?
Can/will the two new starters play defense at the required level and intensity WITHOUT FOULING enough to keep teams in check? It's one thing to play defense, it's another to do it without fouling, and stay in the game, or get get 2 fouls in the first half, and have Geno's trust that he leaves you on the floor the remainder of the half.

Their two best defensive players graduated in May. To my knowledge, there is no one on the bench that came close to playing defense at the level and conviction they did. Their replacements may not be up for the task, at least not right away.

During the recent "glory years" (the Breanna Stewart era), UConn's defense was superior. It was rare for a team to break 60 points on UConn. This was done 7 times during her freshman year, 4 times / sophomore year, 7 times / junior year, and only 5 times her senior year. All of those numbers include post-season play. 23 times in 4 years. This is in 150 + games on her watch.

That's dominance! That's imposing YOUR will on your opponent, and making it stick. Those days are gone. Can UConn return to those glory days?, we'll see. Last year, 11 teams broke 60 points on UConn. If UConn is to return to prominence, it must begin on the defensive end of the court. They MUST be able to make/get stops. Their defense will generate and fuel their offense.

Remember when KML missed 12 games her junior year with an elbow injury? Breanna Banks and Gabby Williams replaced her in the starting line up until she returned. Stewie said later that when KML went out, the chemistry in the starting unit was gone, and it didn't return until she did. That's not a slight on Banks or Williams, just fact. They were use to playing with KML, and knew what she could do, and could depend on her to uphold/fulfill her assignments.

The starters on any team play as a unit. They know and depend that the other players will do what they are supposed to do, and be where they are suppose to be on both ends of the court. That's chemistry. All five players must be in sync for it to flow smoothly and work as designed. One player out of position will weaken or collapse a play or plan.

It's always been my opinion that all of the questions about any basketball team in the preseason will be answered by the Christmas break. This year, that's 11 games, not counting the two exhibition games against Vanguard and Southern Connecticut State. When the team breaks for the holidays, we'll know exactly what kind of team we have, and who can be depended on, as the most challenging portion of the schedule will have been played.
Eleven teams broke 60 on last season's team and only one won. As long as UConn can continue to average 80 points or more they will be just fine.

Reaction Score
Louisville did what Tennessee and Baylor failed to do--took advantage of their superior athleticism and talent against OSU. That game got ugly (well not if you're a Louisville fan I suppose...).
You are correct Sir! The Or State guards were exploited and harassed and LVille broke the game open just before halftime and continued causing chaos and dominating in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Watch out for McKenzie Forbes a freshman on Cal out of Folsom Cali. She’s a Magic Johnson type that plays several positions. A small forward that can handle the ball, dish and compete on the glass. She’s a very versatile defender with a soft floater and outside touch on perimeter with range. She’s way ahead of Gabby Green and Mikayla Cowlings from 2014 Cal class.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watch out for McKenzie Forbes a freshman on Cal out of Folsom Cali. She’s a Magic Johnson type that plays several positions. A small forward that can handle the ball, dish and compete on the glass. She’s a very versatile defender with a soft floater and outside touch on perimeter with range. She’s way ahead of Gabby Green and Mikayla Cowlings from 2014 Cal class.
Cal is going to be really good this year. Recee Caldwell who has transferred everywhere will finally be able to thrive IMO. She and Cal will be one of the major surprises of the year IMO.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Cal intrigues me. Anigwe was of course good last year but didn't seem quite as good as she should have been. If she can bounce back to previous form that would be big. I was impressed with Kianna Smith as a Fr. They have some nice pieces to work with. Can they move up into the top 4 of the conference this year?

Reaction Score
Wow. Oregon at #2? That program has come a looooong way. Congrats, Coach Graves.

Reaction Score
You are correct Sir! The Or State guards were exploited and harassed and LVille broke the game open just before halftime and continued causing chaos and dominating in the 2nd half.

I attended that Elite Eight game in Lexington in March. shizam's memory is a little bit off. The game was a seven-point game at the half with Louisville leading 31-24. Louisville outscored Oregon State 28-12 in the third quarter to break the game open. Oregon State emptied its bench early in the fourth quarter while Louisville left its starters in for much of the fourth quarter and extended the lead by another 10 points in that quarter. Check the box score below.

Oregon State vs. Louisville - Box Score - March 25, 2018 - ESPN

Reaction Score
Cal intrigues me. Anigwe was of course good last year but didn't seem quite as good as she should have been. If she can bounce back to previous form that would be big. I was impressed with Kianna Smith as a Fr. They have some nice pieces to work with. Can they move up into the top 4 of the conference this year?
I think part of the problem was Anigwe didn’t have options to pass out to. Three point shooting wasn’t very good. Anigwe has two issues. She tries to dribble through multiple defenders instead of passing back out or to a cutter(she has shooters on the team now so that should be solved). Two, she gets in to foul trouble way to often.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I attended that Elite Eight game in Lexington in March. shizam's memory is a little bit off. The game was a seven-point game at the half with Louisville leading 31-24. Louisville outscored Oregon State 28-12 in the third quarter to break the game open. Oregon State emptied its bench early in the fourth quarter while Louisville left its starters in for much of the fourth quarter and extended the lead by another 10 points in that quarter. Check the box score below.

Oregon State vs. Louisville - Box Score - March 25, 2018 - ESPN

That's what I was thinking too. First half was tough but they were still in the game. First few minutes of the 3rd quarter and it was all over.

Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking too. First half was tough but they were still in the game. First few minutes of the 3rd quarter and it was all over.
Louisville shut down Gulich with their physical posts. Gulich was double/triple teamed, and the remainder of the OSU squad didn't pick up the slack. Even if Gulich didn't score, she was integral to ball movement and Louisville did an excellent job keeping Gulich from touching the ball. That ultimately did in the Beavers, because OSU didn't adjust to Louisville's overplay of Gulich.

Reaction Score
Ho-hum. As if we all haven't seen this before. Like the past 8 years, UConn has control over their destiny. Its up to another team to take it away from them. At best a tough undertaking.

Samuelson, Collier and Dangerfield are the three best players at their position in the Country. Walker will have a spectacular year; she is too athletic, strong, quick and fundamentally sound not to.

UConn has three pro-ready players now, all 1st round draft choices and, I suspect, in Walker a 4rth by year's end.
No team including Oregon, ND or Baylor comes close.

It will take an off UConn night for any team in the country to have a chance to beat UConn this year. No one has a chance of beating Uconn this year when they are on. They will repeat as WCBB best defenders.

Remember that if it had not been for the spectacularly awful call in ND's favor in the last three seconds of last year's championship game (if ever an asterisk should be after a win, this is the one) no one outside of ND would be talking about ND as the team to beat this year.

Uconn is the most probable team to run the table this year. I hope ND's loss to UConn this year in December puts the nonsense to bed.

Reaction Score
Ho-hum. As if we all haven't seen this before. Like the past 8 years, UConn has control over their destiny. Its up to another team to take it away from them. At best a tough undertaking.

Samuelson, Collier and Dangerfield are the three best players at their position in the Country. Walker will have a spectacular year; she is too athletic, strong, quick and fundamentally sound not to.

UConn has three pro-ready players now, all 1st round draft choices and, I suspect, in Walker a 4rth by year's end.
No team including Oregon, ND or Baylor comes close.

It will take an off UConn night for any team in the country to have a chance to beat UConn this year. No one has a chance of beating Uconn this year when they are on. They will repeat as WCBB best defenders.

Remember that if it had not been for the spectacularly awful call in ND's favor in the last three seconds of last year's championship game (if ever an asterisk should be after a win, this is the one) no one outside of ND would be talking about ND as the team to beat this year.

Uconn is the most probable team to run the table this year. I hope ND's loss to UConn this year in December puts the nonsense to bed.
Remember the no-call on Nurse's clear as hell travel for the tie? Remember? Go look, she took four steps lol. ND's asterik win also includes coming back from down 15 in the second half, a blown wide open layup by McCowan, and a once-in-a-lifetime shot.

Okay rant over lol. UConn definitely still has the most talented team. Maybe not the most experienced because ND returns 4 starters from a championship team and the other starter is Turner. UConn has the lost talented, but they might not be the lost seasoned. They have the potential to go through the season undefeated. If not them, it would be ND.

Reaction Score
I have seen her play quite a few times. While she does have a variety of skills, I have not seen that strong competitive fire that elevates a player at their next level. She sort of resembles Green in her skill level although she is a much better parameter shooter. Green had this low release that worked in high school but not at the D1 level. Remember she also made some USA teams based on her versatility. The problem with her was a total lack of competitive desire. It often seemed like she was sleep walking through games and never elevated her play when necessary. Cowling was her opposite in that respect. She was mostly desire and that carried her to be successful where as Greens skills did not.

When I speak of competitive desire, I refer to the will to win. Those that have it hate to lose and play like their lives are at stake. I did saw her display increments of it in one game, but the question is will it be consistently displayed. Unlike high school, the competition at the D1 level requires that competitiveness to be constantly in play. Players can no longer get by on just skill alone. The players the are competing with also have skills. In fact if you follow the ratings, players are getting better every year. In the 2008 class the top PG had a 92 skill rating. Today a 92 wouldn't even get you into the top 150 player list. Perhaps the competition at the next level will stimulate that competitive fire in McKenzie. Only time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom