Street & Smith's Annual Yearbook Has ND at #1, UConn at #3 | The Boneyard

Street & Smith's Annual Yearbook Has ND at #1, UConn at #3

Reaction Score
Although I haven't personally seen the 2018-2019 Street & Smith's College Basketball Yearbook as yet, it has apparently hit the stands. I saw the article accessible in the link below on the Baylor women's basketball website. That article notes the following preseason rankings according to Street & Smith:

1) Notre Dame
2) Oregon
3) UConn
4) Baylor
14) Texas

The article also notes that senior Kalani Brown is on the preseason All-American first team while her junior teammate Lauren Cox is listed on the second team.

If any of the viewers on this message board catch a glimpse of what the Street & Smith College Basketball Yearbook has to offer about the women's preseason rankings and/or the All-American teams, please share what you see.

Street & Smith Tabs Brown, Cox as Preseason All-Americans; WBB Ranked No. 4 - Baylor University

Reaction Score
Although I haven't personally seen the 2018-2019 Street & Smith's College Basketball Yearbook as yet, it has apparently hit the stands. I saw the article accessible in the link below on the Baylor women's basketball website. That article notes the following preseason rankings according to Street & Smith:

1) Notre Dame
2) Oregon
3) UConn
4) Baylor
14) Texas

The article also notes that senior Kalani Brown is on the preseason All-American first team while her junior teammate Lauren Cox is listed on the second team.

If any of the viewers on this message board catch a glimpse of what the Street & Smith College Basketball Yearbook has to offer about the women's preseason rankings and/or the All-American teams, please share what you see.

Street & Smith Tabs Brown, Cox as Preseason All-Americans; WBB Ranked No. 4 - Baylor University
Seems reasonable. Toughest schedule so wouldn't surprise me to see UConn go up and down the rankings throughout year. Unlike two years ago when UConn started with unproven sophs and finished undefeated in season, my hopes are focused on being ready for NCAA's.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Preseason polls are just interesting, nothing more. The prognosticators really only have the returning players to any given team, to make an educated guess. Incoming freshmen are all "bogeys" at best. We know and have seen "the good, the bad and certainly the ugly" when talking about kids out of HS. It's interesting to see how teams are ranked by the various predictions.
The good news is that predictions never have anything to do with how a team plays and performs. I'm confident we will have a top 4 team all season. I'm planning to be in Tampa, with them, come April.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think Street and Smith is about right. Afterall, UConn is the only team that lost 3 First Round draft choices. A guard, forward , and post. Positions that UConn , or any other team , cannot easily replace.

So a #3 ranking is not bad at all when you consider the considerable player losses.

JMHO.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Who else is old enough to remember when we had to wait on those magazines to get much recruiting news? I also remember when Street and Smith's only had like a 3 page WBB section.

I'm younger than you.... but Street and Smith used to be my basketball bible back in elementary school.... :cool:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
lion-3317670__340.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Oregon is overrated. We’re definitely better than them. Our defense would blow them out 20 plus points

They've got one all world player, and some quality backing up. But it's not hard to cut the head off the dragon. UCONN would roll +10 in that one imo. Oregon will probably justify the ranking in wins because they play out west though.

Reaction Score
Who else is old enough to remember when we had to wait on those magazines to get much recruiting news? I also remember when Street and Smith's only had like a 3 page WBB section.
I bought this plus basketball weekly, but my favorite was Blue Ribbon

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Oregon will probably justify the ranking in wins because they play out west though.

That sounds like a bit of a slight. Pac 12 schools have been performing very well in the NCAA Tourney in recent years.

Reaction Score
That sounds like a bit of a slight. Pac 12 schools have been performing very well in the NCAA Tourney in recent years.
This type of Eastern bias used to be more prevalent. I did think it was a thing of the past but I guess not. Although intiznester probably is right since it has been posted that Oregon has only 7 heathy players available at this time. Their depth seems to have withered away though transfer and injuries.

Reaction Score
Oregon is overrated. We’re definitely better than them. Our defense would blow them out 20 plus points
Oregon is not overrated. Oregon will only be better this upcoming season. Oregon has an unbelievable set of players on their team. Sabrina, Ruthy Hebard (UCONN would love to have Ruthy Hebard), Maite Cazorla who is a dynamite guard as well, Satou Sabally, and now her 6' 3" sister (also a stud). I'm an OSU Beaver fan, and, I'm telling you, Oregon will be great in 2018-19 season. UCONN will not blow out UO if UCONN gets a chance to play UO next season (injuries aside).

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I think Oregon, OSU and Stanford are really good. UCLA won't drop as much as everyone thinks. PAC12 belongs in the discussion as the strongest conference in the country.

Reaction Score
I think Oregon, OSU and Stanford are really good. UCLA won't drop as much as everyone thinks. PAC12 belongs in the discussion as the strongest conference in the country.
I think that’s a major stretch. Stanford will be good. If they sign Jones they may be set for a while. Oregon will be competitive, but not able to keep up with the truly elite teams. Ionecu’s lack of speed was exposed during the recent USAB trials. Haven’t seen anything that makes me think UCLA will beat anybody. OSU is well-coached and may surprise a couple good teams, but don’t have the talent to hang at the end.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Oregon is not overrated. Oregon will only be better this upcoming season. Oregon has an unbelievable set of players on their team. Sabrina, Ruthy Hebard (UCONN would love to have Ruthy Hebard), Maite Cazorla who is a dynamite guard as well, Satou Sabally, and now her 6' 3" sister (also a stud). I'm an OSU Beaver fan, and, I'm telling you, Oregon will be great in 2018-19 season. UCONN will not blow out UO if UCONN gets a chance to play UO next season (injuries aside).

I have heard that the younger Sabally tore her ACL?? Is that true?

Reaction Score
I think that’s a major stretch. Stanford will be good. If they sign Jones they may be set for a while. Oregon will be competitive, but not able to keep up with the truly elite teams. Ionecu’s lack of speed was exposed during the recent USAB trials. Haven’t seen anything that makes me think UCLA will beat anybody. OSU is well-coached and may surprise a couple good teams, but don’t have the talent to hang at the end.

The two best players on Oregon last year were both sophomores. In fact the team did a great job considering how young they were. Graves is a great coach and there is every reason to see them not only winning the P-12 but going deep into the tournament. As for Ionescu's lack of speed you need to consider who she was facing. No one in the P-12 comes close to that level.

Reaction Score
The two best players on Oregon last year were both sophomores. In fact the team did a great job considering how young they were. Graves is a great coach and there is every reason to see them not only winning the P-12 but going deep into the tournament. As for Ionescu's lack of speed you need to consider who she was facing. No one in the P-12 comes close to that level.
My point exactly. No way they’re in the conversation for best conference in th country.

Reaction Score
The Pac 12 is constantly improving in both the level of players they have attracted and coaching. One major difference has been the TV exposure they are now getting. Stanford, Oregon and Oregon St are the names everyone knows, but almost every other program is improving year by year.

Oregon was not over rated. They were a very dangerous team. A lot depends on match ups in the NCAA's. They would not have been overrated at two this season, if not for their injuries. They lost a number of transfers but those would not have been a problem if they were not compounded by injuries. Right now they have a really thin roster. I heard they were down to seven players. The Sabally younger sister being one of the injured, still they should be Ok in the front court. Their weakness, might be their back court depth. However, Sabrina usually plays a lot of minutes.

Oregon St is not bereft of talent. The key for them will be how quickly their frosh front court players develop. The only significant player they lost from last season was Gulish and her inside scoring and defense has to be replaced. They however, have the tallest front court in the history of womens basketball to work with. 6'7", 6'8" and 6'9". The 6'8" being a space eater, and the other two being mobile freshman with big upsides. How quickly the frosh begin to fulfill their upsides this year will depend on how far they go. They also add Maryland PG transfer Slocum. Baring unforeseen circumstances, in 2019/20 they might be the team to beat. Aquino still has a huge upside and her developing skill set ( think a 6'9" Stevens ) might even allow them to eventually put her and the other Frosh 6'7" Morris, on the court at the same time. That would be a match up nightmare.

edit- Oregon is not down to 7 players as I previously heard, but 9 players. Thats not that bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My point exactly. No way they’re in the conversation for best conference in th country.

Ionescu was facing WNBA guards at the USA national team tryouts. Which conference has guards at that level?

One can make a case that no team right now in the P-12 is at the UConn-Notre Dame level but they are close. And go down to the 3rd-7th teams in the P5 conferences and the P-12 looks better. I'm an East coast bias guy but I've watched a lot of P-12 games the last 2 years and it's much better basketball than you see in the SEC and most of the ACC and B12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom