Street & Smith Lists 30 Players on Its Three All-American Teams | The Boneyard

Street & Smith Lists 30 Players on Its Three All-American Teams

Reaction Score
As in previous years, the 2019-2020 edition of the annual Street & Smith preseason college basketball magazine lists 10 women for each of its First, Second, and Third All-American Teams. To ensure considerable debate on the relative merits of the listed players as well as to prompt written commentary as to which worthy players have somehow been omitted from the three preseason teams, listed below are the three preseason All-American teams for the upcoming '19-'20 season as rated by Street & Smith staff.

First Team All-Americans: Ionescu, Cox, Carter, Charles, Alarie, Hebard, Mompremier, Slocum, Cooper, and Harris (Purdue)

Second Team All-Americans: Howard, Martin, Dangerfield, Pivec, Mangakahia, McDonald, Williams (Kansas State), Mikesell, Ogwumike, and Carrington

Third Team All-Americans: Holmes, Williams (Stanford), Gillespie, Gorecki, Bailey (NC), Walker (UConn), Onyenwere, Cardano-Hillary, Doyle, and Jackson (Mississippi State)

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Mangakahia is a head-scratcher. She's announced she won't be playing. It would be wonderful if she was healthy enough, but I don't think it's gonna happen.

Reaction Score
Onyenwere will be first team. CWilliams will be UConn's best player. So I can see her be 1st or 2nd team. Is that Te'a Cooper on the first team? Yeah, no. She won't be on any of the teams.

Reaction Score
As in previous years, the 2019-2020 edition of the annual Street & Smith preseason college basketball magazine lists 10 women for each of its First, Second, and Third All-American Teams. To ensure considerable debate on the relative merits of the listed players as well as to prompt written commentary as to which worthy players have somehow been omitted from the three preseason teams, listed below are the three preseason All-American teams for the upcoming '19-'20 season as seen by Street & Smith staff.

First Team All-Americans: Ionescu, Cox, Carter, Charles, Alarie, Hebard, Mompremier, Slocum, Cooper, and Harris (Purdue)

Second Team All-Americans: Howard, Martin, Dangerfield, Pivec, Mangakahia, McDonald, Williams (Kansas State), Mikesell, Ogwumike, and Carrington

Third Team All-Americans: Holmes, Williams (Stanford), Gillespie, Gorecki, Bailey (NC), Walker (UConn), Onyenwere, Cardano-Hillary, Doyle, and Jackson (Mississippi State)
A bit surprised Satou Sabally isn’t mentioned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Chelsea Dungee of Arkansas is POY candidate. Tyasha Harris of South Carolina is way better than Cooper.
Must have been written for click bait!

Reaction Score
Erica Ogwumike is the real head scratcher. She is on this list because of who her sisters are, plain and simple.

Street & Smith's should just not even do the women's game, because it's clear that they have no idea what's happening.

Reaction Score
As in previous years, the 2019-2020 edition of the annual Street & Smith preseason college basketball magazine lists 10 women for each of its First, Second, and Third All-American Teams. To ensure considerable debate on the relative merits of the listed players as well as to prompt written commentary as to which worthy players have somehow been omitted from the three preseason teams, listed below are the three preseason All-American teams for the upcoming '19-'20 season as seen by Street & Smith staff.

This list makes me lmao.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
3 10 member teams allow them to pander to all region s etc, and all these preseason teams are flimsy at best, with what purpose. 3 just ... well @SCspur captures how I feel with less words.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I thought that was one of the strangest lists I've seen. I disagree with, oh, about half of it.
I understand the comments and disagreement. How about someone produce their own ten-member First Team based upon stats/production from last season and post it here. Any such list will bring out the hecklers.

Reaction Score
Onyenwere will be first team. CWilliams will be UConn's best player. So I can see her be 1st or 2nd team. Is that Te'a Cooper on the first team? Yeah, no. She won't be on any of the teams.

Yes. Baylor transfer Te'a Cooper was listed on the First Team. Both Baylor and Oregon have two players on the Street & Smith First Team.

Reaction Score
I understand the comments and disagreement. How about someone produce their own ten-member First Team based upon stats/production from last season and post it here. Any such list will bring out the hecklers.
I'll have a stab. I'm only doing the first team of 10, with two players of every position. However, the positions can be a little fluid. Although I'm pretty sure AP does it only five players, I will do the ten. I'm also not going to list stats, that's just too much effort on my phone lol.

1st team:
C- Lauren Cox, Ruthy Hebard
PF- Satou Sabally, Mompremier
SF- Michaela Onyenwere, Kaila Charles
SG- Chennedy Carter, Christyn Williams
PG- Sabrina Ionescu, Kianna Williams

Some of my honorable mentions, AKA players I highly considered:
Destiny Slocum
Kianna Williams
Rhyne Howard
Crystal Dangerfield
Bella Allarie

There's probably quite a few I may have missed, but in general that's my list. I see Mompremier more as a center, but I thought it would be dumb to put both Hebard and Sabally as PFs.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Really great list Reypl21. May all these players stay healthy!

Reaction Score
I'll have a stab. I'm only doing the first team of 10, with two players of every position. However, the positions can be a little fluid. Although I'm pretty sure AP does it only five players, I will do the ten. I'm also not going to list stats, that's just too much effort on my phone lol.

1st team:
C- Lauren Cox, Ruthy Hebard
PF- Satou Sabally, Mompremier
SF- Michaela Onyenwere, Kaila Charles
SG- Chennedy Carter, Christyn Williams
PG- Sabrina Ionescu, Kianna Williams

Some of my honorable mentions, AKA players I highly considered:
Destiny Slocum
Kianna Williams
Rhyne Howard
Crystal Dangerfield
Bella Allarie

There's probably quite a few I may have missed, but in general that's my list. I see Mompremier more as a center, but I thought it would be dumb to put both Hebard and Sabally as PFs.
You really like Kianna Williams plenty since you listed her twice. Probably Dangerfield goes in her place on first team. I really like Alarie but the competition she plays against is really poor most of the time.

I'm surprised Kiah Gillespie didn't make the original 30 player list. There are some players I would have placed her ahead of on that list.

Reaction Score
You really like Kianna Williams plenty since you listed her twice. Probably Dangerfield goes in her place on first team. I really like Alarie but the competition she plays against is really poor most of the time.

I'm surprised Kiah Gillespie didn't make the original 30 player list. There are some players I would have placed her ahead of on that list.
Oops, I did put her twice. And think that second PG will be competitive between Dangerfield, Slocum, and Williams. I thought that last year Williams was Stanford's best player. If Stanford is a top-5 team, I think she would deserve an AA spot if continues to lead them. I didn't go with Crystal because I don't think she's going to be the best player on UConn. I think she'll be the 2nd or 3rd best player.

Reaction Score
Florida State's Kiah Gillespie did make Street & Smith's All-American Third Team as noted above in the first post of this thread. Gillespie got even more love from Lindy's Sports and Athlon Sports. She was named to the five member All-American Second Teams for both of those publications.

Gillespie (6'2") is one of a very few D1 returnees to average at least 16 points and 9 boards per game in '18-'19.

Reaction Score
Florida State's Kiah Gillespie did make Street & Smith's All-American Third Team as noted above in the first post of this thread. Gillespie got even more love from Lindy's Sports and Athlon Sports. She was named to the five member All-American Second Teams for both of those publications.

Gillespie (6'2") is one of a very few D1 returnees to average at least 16 points and 9 boards per game in '18-'19.
You're right. I missed it.

Reaction Score
As in previous years, the 2019-2020 edition of the annual Street & Smith preseason college basketball magazine lists 10 women for each of its First, Second, and Third All-American Teams. To ensure considerable debate on the relative merits of the listed players as well as to prompt written commentary as to which worthy players have somehow been omitted from the three preseason teams, listed below are the three preseason All-American teams for the upcoming '19-'20 season as rated by Street & Smith staff.

Inexcusable that Native American Chelsea Dungee [Cherokee] didn't make AA after a flurry of late-last-season 30-point games vs Houston[37], Georgia[31] & South Carolina[32]

Reaction Score
Lindy's? Athalon? Street & Smith?

The gravitas of these selections is best judged by asking when was the last time any of them was mentioned at the end of the season when the real AA's are announced? Or even a month from now when ESPN, the AP and the various award committees come out with their lists. The only reason they are a topic every September is because we are starved for topics.

Reaction Score
Lindy's? Athalon? Street & Smith?

The only reason they are a topic every September is because we are starved for topics.

Agreed. However, the wide geographic distribution of the Boneyard does allow posters to weigh in with their favorites. I was not aware of Chelsea Dungee of Arkansas much. I knew that she had a big SEC tourney for Arkansas last year. Her head coach (Neighbors) has a knack for running an offense that facilitates scorers.

Dungee averaged 20.5 points per game last season as a redshirt sophomore. She shot 40.4% from the field last season. I would assume that Neighbors has given her the green light.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom