Streaming College Sports | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Streaming College Sports

Reaction Score
I can't see any ESPN shows on Charter Spectrum. this sucks. I hate most of the shows on my channel lineup and ESPN was one of a few things I liked to watch especially during college football season. Spectrum is already way too expensive.

Reaction Score
Tonight is a great example as to why DTC sucks and just hurts your exposure.

I'm flipping through the various games on YTTV.

I sort of want to watch KU struggle against Missouri State but I can't bothered to flip over to +.

DTC sucks and you people pushing for it are idiots. That is all.

Reaction Score
Uh, my position is that carriage disputes are common. And I'm right. And they're usually just corporate posturing. The only notable thing about this one, is that it's big boys on both sides.

Unless these things go fully over the top, "streaming" isn't really protected here, either. I have ESPN+, but any ESPN stuff that needs a provider sub got whacked with this too.
I thought what was most notable was that they dropped the hammer at 8 pm on Thursday night just as Florida and college football was about to kick off. That created a huge impact and had to hurt espn which is bungling things all over the place. Good.

good.jpg

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tonight is a great example as to why DTC sucks and just hurts your exposure.

I'm flipping through the various games on YTTV.

I sort of want to watch KU struggle against Missouri State but I can't bothered to flip over to +.

DTC sucks and you people pushing for it are idiots. That is all.

Old man yells at cloud.

Reaction Score
I thought what was most notable was that they dropped the hammer at 8 pm on Thursday night just as Florida and college football was about to kick off. That created a huge impact and had to hurt espn which is bungling things all over the place. Good.

View attachment 91157
They dropped the hammer during week 1 of college football and during the US Open to make maximum impact to hurt ESPN and help their bargaining position. What I find humorous is Spectrum's statement that they are doing this for the customer. What a crock of horse dung. Missing college football games does not benefit me in the short term and I am quite sure that Spectrum only cares about their profits in the long term.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Subscribe to ESPN directly, or get the Hulu/Disney/ESPN package. It is like $13 a month, and there are usually promotions.
Come on. You’re telling me the streaming Nostradamus doesn’t know you can’t get ESPN linear channels online without a provider login? @HCCForever is showing the reality of the situation. You can get ESPN+, but then you only get + programming. No ESPN, 2, ACC, etc.

If this drags on long enough, ironically, it may spur the launch of ESPN being streamed standalone, but not fast enough to really help.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Come on. You’re telling me the streaming Nostradamus doesn’t know you can’t get ESPN linear channels online without a provider login? @HCCForever is showing the reality of the situation. You can get ESPN+, but then you only get + programming. No ESPN, 2, ACC, etc.

If this drags on long enough, ironically, it may spur the launch of ESPN being streamed standalone, but not fast enough to really help.

I know a little about the business side, I am certainly not an expert about the ins and outs of the different consumer services.

Reaction Score
They dropped the hammer during week 1 of college football and during the US Open to make maximum impact to hurt ESPN and help their bargaining position. What I find humorous is Spectrum's statement that they are doing this for the customer. What a crock of horse dung. Missing college football games does not benefit me in the short term and I am quite sure that Spectrum only cares about their profits in the long term.
My condo complex got an low priced cable/internet package from Spectrum a few months ago. $83/month includes 125+ channels including the ESPN channels, HBO, Showtime, 2 cable boxes with DVRs, 500 MB internet, modem,... When the board told us about the deal, I said no way they could do it so cheaply. (It is a bulk rate as everyone has to subscribe and we pay every 6 months through our HOA so no Spectrum bills unless you add on channels.)

I think this is Spectrum's strategy to offer lower cost bundled packages, but in order to do it they need channel offering flexibility. I think Spectrum is doing the right thing.

Reaction Score

Seems charter is going for the jugular. Very notable posturing

Shortcut<<

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My condo complex got an low priced cable/internet package from Spectrum a few months ago. $83/month includes 125+ channels including the ESPN channels, HBO, Showtime, 2 cable boxes with DVRs, 500 MB internet, modem,... When the board told us about the deal, I said no way they could do it so cheaply. (It is a bulk rate as everyone has to subscribe and we pay every 6 months through our HOA so no Spectrum bills unless you add on channels.)

I think this is Spectrum's strategy to offer lower cost bundled packages, but in order to do it they need channel offering flexibility. I think Spectrum is doing the right thing.

There is going to be a long line of cable providers right behind Spectrum interested in having the same discussion with Disney.

The fact that Iger has mentioned selling ESPN in interviews means it is not conceptual, they are going to do it. Hulu and Disney are solid, viable platforms in streaming. Disney is actually kicking butt. ESPN is a different story unless they figure out a completely different subscription revenue model that matches up with their content costs. Committing $120 million a year for Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah football for the next 8 years is going in exactly the opposite direction they should be going.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Shortcut<<

A funny side note to that article is how Frontier got the writer to promote YouTubeTV for them in the article. You can actually buy any aggregator you want if you have Frontier. I have Hulu Live, and it is actually a much better value than YouTubeTV because while the price is the same, you get a lot more. Sling and Fubo are both cheaper and have most of what a person would want.

Google and Frontier cut a deal, which happens all the time, but I suspect another reason why so many internet providers are partnering up with Google/YouTube over Disney/Hulu is that they are tired of Disney's strong arm tactics.

Reaction Score
There is going to be a long line of cable providers right behind Spectrum interested in having the same discussion with Disney.

The fact that Iger has mentioned selling ESPN in interviews means it is not conceptual, they are going to do it. Hulu and Disney are solid, viable platforms in streaming. Disney is actually kicking butt. ESPN is a different story unless they figure out a completely different subscription revenue model that matches up with their content costs. Committing $120 million a year for Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah football for the next 8 years is going in exactly the opposite direction they should be going.

Disney is losing money and subscribers.

Disney is in hot water over misrepresenting losses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Disney is losing money and subscribers.

Disney is in hot water over misrepresenting losses.

Investor lawsuits happen literally every day. Some company probably got sued this week for the stock going up too fast. They are frivolous and an annoyance more than anything.

Disney and Hulu are doing well. The price increases are going through and the subscriber base of actual paying customers is getting pretty big. They are in decent shape to crossing over into Netflix territory of a huge subscriber base that just keeps paying no matter what content they put on the platform. Disney and Hulu have massive libraries so they will be able to hold onto subscribers.

ESPN is another story.

Reaction Score
Investor lawsuits happen literally every day. Some company probably got sued this week for the stock going up too fast. They are frivolous and an annoyance more than anything.

Disney and Hulu are doing well. The price increases are going through and the subscriber base of actual paying customers is getting pretty big. They are in decent shape to crossing over into Netflix territory of a huge subscriber base that just keeps paying no matter what content they put on the platform. Disney and Hulu have massive libraries so they will be able to hold onto subscribers.

ESPN is another story.

All of the DTC services are losing subcscribers, raising prices and cutting content. It’s a ripoff.

5 years from now this thing won’t even look the same.

All of the services will be combined in something just like cable and it will cost more. It will also deliver less value.

Reaction Score
I tried to go to ESPN directly but received invalid media message due to having Spectrum as my provider. I have no free trials left in Sling or Fubi or other packages. I will try Hula since I haven't used that in the past but part of my issue is that I hate giving more money to ESPN since they stopped access for Spectrum customers.

Due to greed from multiple areas, it sure seems like all these schmucks are conspiring to kill college football.

Go with the hulu package and lock intonation while you still can. Disney is going to be dumping ESPN

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
All of the DTC services are losing subcscribers, raising prices and cutting content. It’s a ripoff.

5 years from now this thing won’t even look the same.

All of the services will be combined in something just like cable and it will cost more. It will also deliver less value.

Capturing this prediction for posterity.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good. I did too.

You have no predictions. You’re just full of it.

I have lots of predictions, and I am right most of the time. That is why you get angry at me.

Reaction Score
I have lots of predictions, and I am right most of the time. That is why you get angry at me.

Where are they?

You have predictions in the same sense as MHVER has predictions.

Reaction Score

Spectrum's bargaining may be the proper thing to do but using customers as pawns is not. I admit my TV portion of the bill isn't that bad at around $60 for Spectrum TV. That compares favorably with other options that I looked at yesterday. But Spectrum has also violated customer trust. I paid my monthly bill thru mid-September expecting to watch ESPN and other sports. But they shut that down on Thursday and I will have problems trying to get any type of refund from Spectrum. The money itself is not the refund concern. Spectrum should refund all customers with ESPN channels.

Reaction Score
Former President of Fox Sports Networks and co-founder of BTN:

1693701854656.png

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Good. I read today Charter Spectrum is CT based? Didn't know that. Good again. Screw ESPN. Go charter Spectrum
They moved their headquarters to Stamford (near the train station) about 2 1/2 years ago

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom