Strategy on Richmond | The Boneyard

Strategy on Richmond

Reaction Score
For everyone saying there was nothing we could have done differently against Richmond the first game (I’m talking to you @cohenzone) I submit Exhibit A as tonight. “But if you double him it’s gonna leave other shooters open”.

Guess what? They missed. Give coaches credit for switching it up this time and not letting him manhandle us again. As to why they couldn’t figure it out midway through the first game, I’m still dumbfounded.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Richmond was gassed by the end but he is a load. Too bad for Hall as it doesn't look like Aiken is coming back anytime soon. Yetna looks like he's regressed from his USF days

Reaction Score
Richmond is gonna be a problem going forward - he’s sorting this game out.
Richmond is a only a problem becasue he is a gross mismatch for a much smaller Cole. If you put a guard with size on him he is average at best. Does nothing great. Average lateral speed, can't really beat you off the dribble, and isn't a huge threat from deep.

Reaction Score
Richmond is a only a problem becasue he is a gross mismatch for a much smaller Cole. If you put a guard with size on him he is average at best. Does nothing great. Average lateral speed, can't really beat you off the dribble, and isn't a huge threat from deep.
Cole did not guard him our first meeting. In fact I think RJ did a decent job last night.

Reaction Score
Cole did not guard him our first meeting. In fact I think RJ did a decent job last night.
Not once did RJ guard him alone. Sure, he was a little pest at mid court but SHsgoal was to obviously isolate Richmond and have him shoot over Cole. The fact we doubled team every time was what worked.

Reaction Score
RJ constantly and pesteringly guarded him alone until Richmond got by him, which was frequent but late in the clock. Whaley was there for the double ahead of time - just a great defensive performance by The Wrench.
Richmond is talented but has severely flawed shot mechanics and body language-wise looked like we was playing for U of Richmond.

Reaction Score
RJ constantly and pesteringly guarded him alone until Richmond got by him, which was frequent but late in the clock. Whaley was there for the double ahead of time - just a great defensive performance by The Wrench.
Richmond is talented but has severely flawed shot mechanics and body language-wise looked like we was playing for U of Richmond.
I didn't see RJ constantly getting beat off the dribble. Maybe you are thinking of those 2 drives that Richmond blew by Gaffney for big layups. Cole like another poster mentioned played decent d and there was certainly other guys on Richmond besides Cole during the game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Richmond didn't look in control at quite a few points in the game and Willard saw that also - he yanked him and had an AC in Richmonds ear
I felt UConn double teamed him too much last night.
Richmond is a big guard and would cause problems for a lot of opposing players. I felt he was getting annoyed because everytime he got past Gaff or RJ, IW was waiting for him near the rim and the results weren't there as they were last time he faced UConn. He is not a real outside threat - driving and posting up smaller players is his game. If he gets a consistent outside shot - watch out
The Picker let this kid get away............................

Reaction Score
I didn't see RJ constantly getting beat off the dribble. Maybe you are thinking of those 2 drives that Richmond blew by Gaffney for big layups. Cole like another poster mentioned played decent d and there was certainly other guys on Richmond besides Cole during the game.
Cole got help every single time. He didn't play poorly on D but the plan was to double him every time down. Thats what they did.

Reaction Score
Cole got help every single time. He didn't play poorly on D but the plan was to double him every time down. Thats what they did.
I didn't really see the double teaming until the second half. Also, where was the double team help for Gaffney? He got abused by Richmond and thus why he barely played again.

Reaction Score
The point is they had a much different game plan and it worked. Rather than just sitting back and letting him back our guy down over and over and over and over without an adjustment like the first game. Some on this board think it’s ok to just let him keep doing the same thing and hope he is going to miss. Although it came half a game too late, im glad the coaches finally realized that hope is not a strategy.

Reaction Score
Richmond is gonna be a problem going forward - he’s sorting this game out.
But there is a certain hall of fame coach who dissed him so much he had to get away. I agree the kid has a world of potential as do NBA people.

Reaction Score
They made one 3 in the last 5 minutes of the game. Not sure what you're talking about.
You're cherry picking the stats there, Dave. If you include the last 6:50 of the game, they hit 3 3-pointers out of 5 attempts. So 6 for 18 before that, 33%, then 3 for 5, 60%. Stinger was making the point that their 3-pt percentage ended up near 40%, but only because of the late flurry.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom