Strange thought: make NIT relevant? | The Boneyard

Strange thought: make NIT relevant?

Reaction Score
Was discussing this with a buddy the other day who said I'm crazy but, here me out.

I don't find the NIT to be important, interesting or worth the time; especially for those schools who were on the bubble of the NCAAT who get the second-rate prize of the NIT. Was thinking of this idea to make the NIT relevant and have schools actually care about winning it. Here's the idea...

*The school who wins the NIT and the NCAAT will automatically qualify for the NCAAT the next season.
-Example: Texas won the NIT & UVa won the NCAAT in 2019. Both schools would qualify for the NCAAT in 2020.
-Structure: Both schools would be at worst an 11 seed with a play-in (current first four) game in Dayton. In order to do this, the NCAAT field would either need to expand by 2 or cut the field by 2 at the expense of some bubble teams.
-If both Texas and UVa are already solid at-large locks, they obviously would get the highest seed possible based on the selection committee AND you fill the rest of the brackets as usual. Again, it depends on the structure choice, if you're ADDING two (70 schools) you can back-fill the extra play-in games with the last two on the bubble - basically expanding the bubble by 2. If Texas and UVa had bad years, say under .500, they are the last 1-2 teams on that bubble to get in.

-Detractors will say: every team is completely different the next season. Which is true, however, imagine how much underclassmen would fight in the NIT, and obviously the NCAAT, if they knew they would automatically qualify for next year's dance if they win now.
-Should a mediocre or awful team make the NCAAT the next season? Fair point. They don't deserve it. Especially if they do not expand to 70 and stay at 68. But we all know all the NCAA cares about is money. I can see this idea making some serious cash for the NCAA and conferences if they can market the NIT and actually get an audience. Imagine if UConn automatically qualified for the 2015 tourney b/c of winning the NCAAT in 2014. We may not have deserved it but would we have complained? Sure, someone on the bubble will cry foul but the bubble is subjective anyway. You can argue the P5 programs will then dominate the NIT, possibly true, but just DO NOT change the current structure of the NIT. Let the NEC and MAAC regular season champs, for instance, still get that shot to win the NIT.

Must admit, I have not thought every possible scenario out. I'm sure there are potential issues involved. But at the end of the day, it makes college basketball a little more exciting and maybe you get people actually attending these NIT games on their home courts (i.e. Storrs in 2015 I heard was pretty flat...not positive though, I wasn't there). Would have a spike in viewership and likely wagering on these games. I see it as a win-win for the NCAA/conferences and both big/small programs.

*TBH, I stole this idea from the European soccer model where they have an NCAAT and NIT-like system (Champions League #1 and Europa League #2). Basically the best-of-the best dominate Champions League like NCAAT and the second tier teams generally battle for Europa League - NIT. For years, Europa League meant nothing other than a shiny trophy. A few years back, they made Europa League an automatic entry into next season's Champions League - along with Champions League winners also with an automatic qualifier. Pretty clear that both ratings and effort levels have spiked for the Europa League*

Reaction Score
The effort is there... but no.

I don’t want teams coasting through the season when they know they are automatically in the tournament. It’s what makes the season worth watching. Additionally, that is one less spot for a deserving team. Take home money is a factor too for conferences and teams.

E749DE55-3A40-43A7-BA64-89C0C7ED9890.gif

Edit: I do agree NIT should be more relevant, but not this way.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
I actually don’t hate the idea. You’d definitely need to add something to the following season, such as the team just finish above .500 to qualify, but it’s almost like the premier league that rewards the champion of the lesser league. With some vetting I could buy into a version of this.

Reaction Score
That could work for the NIT, maybe with the stipulation that said team finish at least above .500 by a game.

It would not prevent teams from coasting because they would still be playing for seed.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It wouldn’t create any additional interest or make the games any better or more important.

Reaction Score
The effort is there... but no.

I don’t want teams coasting through the season when they know they are automatically in the tournament. It’s what makes the season worth watching. Additionally, that is one less spot for a deserving team. Take home money is a factor too for conferences and teams.

View attachment 43064

Edit: I do agree NIT should be more relevant, but not this way.
If you're the 68th team in the field and getting knocked out then you're not very deserving

Reaction Score
The NIT is a big deal for most of the teams that get in with the prize getting an opportunity to play at MSG. For some of these kids it might be their only opportunity.
It was a big deal for WSU this year I’m sure and a cause for optimism going into this year.
Maybe increase the PR effort around it which is very low key because they fear distracting from the NCAA tourney.

Reaction Score
If you're the 68th team in the field and getting knocked out then you're not very deserving

Huh? They earned the 68th spot during the season. Teams don’t tie. Not sure what ur point is.

You need to earn postseason during the season. That’s why they call it Post Season.

Reaction Score
Huh? They earned the 68th spot during the season. Teams don’t tie. Not sure what ur point is.

You need to earn postseason during the season. That’s why they call it Post Season.
No team who won 19 games, finished 8th in their conference but plays in the B10 should complain about missing the tournament, that's my point. You want a spot, be a good team

Reaction Score
Have the NIT winner be "the play in game" for the final 4. They play the lowest ranked of the teams that make the final 4.

Think that would get some teams up for the NIT?

Reaction Score
What possible reason would the NCAAT have to agree to any of this? Why is the relevance of the NIT important to the NCAAT?

Reaction Score
Was discussing this with a buddy the other day who said I'm crazy but, here me out.

I don't find the NIT to be important, interesting or worth the time; especially for those schools who were on the bubble of the NCAAT who get the second-rate prize of the NIT. Was thinking of this idea to make the NIT relevant and have schools actually care about winning it. Here's the idea...

*The school who wins the NIT and the NCAAT will automatically qualify for the NCAAT the next season.
-Example: Texas won the NIT & UVa won the NCAAT in 2019. Both schools would qualify for the NCAAT in 2020.
-Structure: Both schools would be at worst an 11 seed with a play-in (current first four) game in Dayton. In order to do this, the NCAAT field would either need to expand by 2 or cut the field by 2 at the expense of some bubble teams.
-If both Texas and UVa are already solid at-large locks, they obviously would get the highest seed possible based on the selection committee AND you fill the rest of the brackets as usual. Again, it depends on the structure choice, if you're ADDING two (70 schools) you can back-fill the extra play-in games with the last two on the bubble - basically expanding the bubble by 2. If Texas and UVa had bad years, say under .500, they are the last 1-2 teams on that bubble to get in.

-Detractors will say: every team is completely different the next season. Which is true, however, imagine how much underclassmen would fight in the NIT, and obviously the NCAAT, if they knew they would automatically qualify for next year's dance if they win now.
-Should a mediocre or awful team make the NCAAT the next season? Fair point. They don't deserve it. Especially if they do not expand to 70 and stay at 68. But we all know all the NCAA cares about is money. I can see this idea making some serious cash for the NCAA and conferences if they can market the NIT and actually get an audience. Imagine if UConn automatically qualified for the 2015 tourney b/c of winning the NCAAT in 2014. We may not have deserved it but would we have complained? Sure, someone on the bubble will cry foul but the bubble is subjective anyway. You can argue the P5 programs will then dominate the NIT, possibly true, but just DO NOT change the current structure of the NIT. Let the NEC and MAAC regular season champs, for instance, still get that shot to win the NIT.

Must admit, I have not thought every possible scenario out. I'm sure there are potential issues involved. But at the end of the day, it makes college basketball a little more exciting and maybe you get people actually attending these NIT games on their home courts (i.e. Storrs in 2015 I heard was pretty flat...not positive though, I wasn't there). Would have a spike in viewership and likely wagering on these games. I see it as a win-win for the NCAA/conferences and both big/small programs.

*TBH, I stole this idea from the European soccer model where they have an NCAAT and NIT-like system (Champions League #1 and Europa League #2). Basically the best-of-the best dominate Champions League like NCAAT and the second tier teams generally battle for Europa League - NIT. For years, Europa League meant nothing other than a shiny trophy. A few years back, they made Europa League an automatic entry into next season's Champions League - along with Champions League winners also with an automatic qualifier. Pretty clear that both ratings and effort levels have spiked for the Europa League*

I have to laugh how much Cuse spends time on this board for a variety of reasons

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I have to laugh how much Cuse spends time on this board for a variety of reasons

I don’t understand these people. Sure they’ve been better than us recently but over the past 25 years we are a better program than them we just suck at marketing.

Reaction Score
They should make the NIT work like another conference tourney with the winner earning the right to sneak back into the current year NCAA tourney at some point.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Zero chance we should do that.

But on your European soccer note and what someone else said, it would be very cool if the following season was opened with the NCAA champion vs. NIT champion.

They do the same thing in soccer with the UEFA Super Cup.

Reaction Score
NIT

Make it relevant by having it all played at the garden over the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament. Winner gets a participation trophy, blue snow cone, and a pat on the back!

Reaction Score
Time to put the NIT out of its misery. Even the teams that get there don’t much care. I don’t get this boards fixation with Madison Square Garden. For major schools it is a consolation prize at best and for mid majors it’s mostly team who won the league but lost their tourney. If you need more teams in the post season expand the NCAA. But put the NIT out of its misery.

Reaction Score
16 teams 2 weekend in mid november at MSG. This will be the preseason tourny

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom