Strange thing about Carlton | The Boneyard

Strange thing about Carlton

Reaction Score
He should eat up teams like Maine or UNH. Instead he has a tough time finding his place in these games. In contrast, he has played some of his best ball against high level opponents.

Part of it, I believe, is that he has still not learned how to deal with double teams. He is still too deliberate making decisions when a second guy shows up. One other part of his game that demands works is carving out position down low. Pinning his man below the basket so he can accept the ball deep in the lane. He doesn't do this even against smaller, weaker opponents.

I'm not complaining. Disappearing in 20 point victories is not a horrible problem. But are there any other theories why he struggles against lesser opponents?

amidagoat

Amida was the goat
Reaction Score
A lot of times these teams have smaller yet quicker forwards. Sometimes Whaley is the better option. He can hold his own and is better when switched onto more agile players.

Reaction Score
It's really too bad he hasn't developed a short or mid-range game. His form when shooting free throws isn't horrible. Can he score on anything but a lay up or put back?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Could it be that we were without our primary bigs coach for a couple of months?

Reaction Score
I think that when the team moves the ball quicker around the perimeter in the offense he seems to struggle with how to participate. He is a guy that needs a specifically defined purpose on offense. Does better when he is a focus of the offense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Boneyard take sophomore year: Josh has great hands, plays well against the bunnies but disappears against better competition. He’s one of the two players that is a lock for starting next year.

Boneyard take junior year: Josh has stone hands, plays well against good competition but disappears against weak teams. He isn’t very good.

I wish I was exaggerating about this summary. We are the equivalent of the announcer’s jinx including altering body parts.

Reaction Score
He isn't very good.
2nd in scoring, rebounding, and blocks. He's almost as bad as the player who leads the team in scoring, rebounds, and steals. Josh has been a bit inconsistent but he's been pretty good most games.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He had 0 low post touches vs UNH. There were a few times he had position and our guards had the ball on the wing but refused to look.

He has his limits, but part of his inconsistency is the inconsistent effort to give him touches.
I honestly don’t recall him ever having position in the UNH game. Looked disinterested

Reaction Score
I urge everyone to watch the replay critically. Josh was in position more than a handful of times, or one pass away from being in position. 1) The guards execution and decisions with the ball in the perimeter the other night did not allow josh a decent opportunity. 2) josh doesn’t do any favors to himself when he raises his hand for entry passes while the ball is at the top of the key. Can’t throw it over the defense.
The one time he had the ball on the block in position, was off an offensive rebound. He went to make a move and vital cut him off trying to dive to the basket. He settled for a jump one Hameer that fell short.

seriously, watch the first 10 possessions and you’ll see at least 3 sets where josh should of had the ball but guys either passed or dribble the other way, or was 1 pass away from being in position. I agree josh needs to be more active but I feel that his disappearance this game was not completely of his own doing. Hurley says he needs to be getting 25 a game, yet the guards make decisions that look as tho they aren’t running sets for him.

Reaction Score
Gafney would be able to get the ball to JC at the right place and time if they were on the floor together. Gafney has that knack that no one else on this team has example his passes to Akok when no else is able.

Reaction Score
1) Can't dribble the ball
2) Can't receive and/ or dribble the ball while moving. - pick and roll
3) Has no midrange jumpshot- pick and pop
4) Passing isn't a strength.
5) Doesn't have any post moves other than a drop step, but his footwork is solid. Never ball fakes or jump stops- see #1

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
2nd in scoring, rebounding, and blocks. He's almost as bad as the player who leads the team in scoring, rebounds, and steals. Josh has been a bit inconsistent but he's been pretty good most games.
Just can't justify some of his performances this season. 6 points in his last 2 games against inferior competition, 1-4 shooting against Maine. Which is crazy considering his strong showings against Indiana, Miami, and Florida. He also leads us in turnovers somehow.

Reaction Score
Could be the case of needing another similar sized guy to match up with. Time will tell

Reaction Score
He had 0 low post touches vs UNH. There were a few times he had position and our guards had the ball on the wing but refused to look.

He has his limits, but part of his inconsistency is the inconsistent effort to give him touches.
This. I believe the OP nailed it but also this is a huge part of it. CV and AG are shoot first guys and ive seen Carl get position call for the ball only to have the guards not get him the ball or worse he gets in good position then loses it only for one of the guards try to force a bad pass that leads to a turnover. If Gaffney is the PG I think he can be it'll benefit Carl.

Reaction Score
1) Can't dribble the ball
2) Can't receive and/ or dribble the ball while moving. - pick and roll
3) Has no midrange jumpshot- pick and pop
4) Passing isn't a strength.
5) Doesn't have any post moves other than a drop step, but his footwork is solid. Never ball fakes or jump stops- see #1

Interesting criticisms. I agree he needs a jump shot but when in recent memory has UConn had a center that could dribble or pass?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom