Strange thing about Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Strange thing about Carlton

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As I read these posts, I think we are differentiating between good and great; excellent and adequate. Some see what Carlton could be and others see what he is not. On that basis, I think you all are pretty much correct. IMHO, right now Carlton is a good player. He is handicapped because he does not play over the rim. Can he be great? Yes! But there are a number of other things he will have to improve. The first ting and easiest is that his decision making cannot wait until he has the ball. I believe a player dependent upon others getting him the ball needs to be continually processing options based upon the what if's of the balls arrival. Am I set to score; where is the double coming from; who's in position to catch and shoot or rotate. Then when the ball is in the flight the decisions are processed. The greatest thing a post can have is a fluid mental process, or a 40 inch vertical ;) .

Reaction Score
The only thing I know for sure about this kid is that he’s consistently inconsistent. He shows up and plays well against good teams and is a no show against low majors. That’s when he should be putting in the most work Head bang

Reaction Score
NH was a tough matchup because for Carlton because he can’t guard people on the perimeter. His man hit 3 threes to start the game and took him off the dribble a few times as well. I don’t think it had much to do with his offense in this game. Whaley and Akok were the better match ups In this game on the defensive end. Carlton will be fine against teams with bigger line ups

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
1577282729770.gif

Reaction Score
Gafney is the answer. He knows where the ball has to go and how to get it there.
A lot for a young player but he has to do it now.

Reaction Score
We have no perfect players on this team. It is harder for Bigs to make things happen without getting called for cheap fouls. Surviving double teams without a turnover or foul is a priority. Better entry passes would help things as well. 3 point line defense is always going to be a problem. Better things are yet to come from Josh on the court. His level headed attitude will make it possible.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If Al and Christian can't feed Carlton, who were our guards when he had his big games? I think that a good piece of the problem resides inside JC.

Reaction Score
He had 0 low post touches vs UNH. There were a few times he had position and our guards had the ball on the wing but refused to look.

He has his limits, but part of his inconsistency is the inconsistent effort to give him touches.
I think his overall lack of athleticism is the one and only problem. But it’s very evident.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Every big, deep in his/her heart, wants to be a wing. Able to get out of the slogging for position; to get out of the pushing and the hands slapping. To be able to take the ball and move with freedom. To be able to shoot without the hip check. Being a big is the dirty business of basketball. And your success in an offense depends about these players who have the freedom you desire giving you a chance to play; to deliver the ball when you have established position; not a second before or a second after. To deliver the ball where the defense can't get a hand on it.

In short the game of a big is not the glamorous game of guards and wings and they deserve understanding of the difficulty of their role.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Interesting criticisms. I agree he needs a jump shot but when in recent memory has UConn had a center that could dribble or pass?

Hopefully our collection of recent centers will not be our baseline going forward.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think his overall lack of athleticism is the one and only problem. But it’s very evident.

Not the best hands or first touch. But gets back up well enough for a soft secondary tip.

Reaction Score
Interesting criticisms. I agree he needs a jump shot but when in recent memory has UConn had a center that could dribble or pass?
Valid point . Doesn't Cliff Robison live in CT? Every center in the program should spend a summer with Uncle Cliff.

Reaction Score
Conundrum. Wishing Josh a 3 point shot under the Xmas tree. lol but seriously the framework is there for him to progress nicely. He's really only a sophomore in progress (lost year with Ollie).

Reaction Score
If you judge players by what they can't do they all come out looking bad. I don't think Josh has bad hands. But in trying to get him the ball, we sometimes feed him too far from the basket, or try make impossible entry passes. I think many of his TOs are result of others so his numbers look worse than his play.

Reaction Score
Could be the case of needing another similar sized guy to match up with. Time will tell
He frequently misses his first layup attempt and then almost as regularly makes the put-back or tip-in. His first attempt is generally shot too hard or falls short.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He frequently misses his first layup attempt and then almost as regularly makes the put-back or tip-in. His first attempt is generally shot too hard or falls short.
Alex Oriakhi frequently did the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom