Strange night in section 110. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Strange night in section 110.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm usually pretty critical about these types of things but I think you are overblowing it, our atmosphere really isn't as bad as you are making it out to be.
Does it compare to UK, KU, Duke, UNC, MSU, Louisville...teams we want to compare ourselves to as far a history, NC, pro production, etc...I look at a place like Kansas St. and it amazes me that we can't come close to that. Again, the teams in the AAC certainly don't help but it's not like we're asking 25K to show up to games...

Reaction Score
Does it compare to UK, KU, Duke, UNC, MSU, Louisville...teams we want to compare ourselves to as far a history, NC, pro production, etc...I look at a place like Kansas St. and it amazes me that we can't come close to that. Again, the teams in the AAC certainly don't help but it's not like we're asking 25K to show up to games...

You can't compare it to teams that are in power conferences. Duke and KU maybe being the exceptions, the crowd and atmosphere is typically as good as the opponent. Being at Gampel in the past to see teams like Louisville, Syracuse, and Texas, it's absolutely right up there with any other venue I've been to. Hell, even earlier in the year when I went to see New Hampshire, I thought the atmosphere was good. Bring Kansas to town tomorrow and the place is an asylum.

Reaction Score
Don't be fooled by some of the games you see on TV. A lot of places like KState are probably rocking when Kansas comes to town and it's on national TV. Don't let yourself think it's like that every night. The biggest offender in this is Maryland. Yes they'll pack the house vs top 5 teams and people will make a trip to NYC to see them play UConn but they have trouble getting people to come vs anyone else. Used to be able to say the same about BC but nowadays they can't even sellout vs Duke.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
No, but those programs are bringing in 5-7x the revenue and as such their venues are superior. The rest of your complaints stem from our dumpster fire of a conference. You simply can't expect fans who have become accustomed to nearly 25 years of continued, sustained success at the highest level against the best programs in the games to show the same level of enthusiasm against teams like ECU on a Tuesday night in a game that no one is watching or paying attention to outside the state of CT.

The biggest sign for me in the decline of our interest has been the Reddit college basketball community. Half of UConn's games don't even get game threads anymore and in the rare chance they do, it will have maybe 30 comments. Meanwhile a random unranked Cuse vs Wake Forest game will have over 300-400 comments. It just seems like non-UConn fans don't really watch UConn games anymore, whereas back in the BE it was the opposite. As long as we are in the AAC, just get used to it.

Reaction Score
I already said the AAC is a factor but have we or will be have 1 sellout this year? I'm guessing mayyybe SMU but that's. Thursday downtown...top tier teams can sell out against JUCO teams.

Reaction Score
If somebody asks me to sit, I will probably comply...and I never stand for the duration of the game unless I'm in the last row. But I don't see how asking somebody to stand is any more or less considerate than asking them to sit, it's just a matter of preference. As stated, when it comes to blocking the view of somebody who legitimately cannot stand for long stretches, the equation changes.

Assuming everyone in the section can stand and wants to stand i agree its just a matter of preference. But if half prefer to stand and half dont, then it should lean towards the side of not standing. Since there is no way to really know, just dont stand blocking the person in front of you imo. I just could never do that to a person and dont want it done to me.

Reaction Score
I already said the AAC is a factor but have we or will be have 1 sellout this year? I'm guessing mayyybe SMU but that's. Thursday downtown...top tier teams can sell out against JUCO teams.
Already sold out vs OSU. A couple hundred short vs Memphis mostly coming from the students being on break.

Reaction Score
Isn't mau (at least partially) Italian? I thought that's why he's so goshdarn argumentative.

You guys have it right with both posts - Irish/Italian - not stubborn, don't like to drink, hate pizza and pasta and not argumentative.

Reaction Score

A big game at Gampel absolutely compares and at times beats those schools.

XL is what it is, its a worse venue than the places the power schools play at, but it still gets loud for big games.

None of those places are always rocking when they play bad teams.

Reaction Score
BUHusky10 said:
The biggest sign for me in the decline of our interest has been the Reddit college basketball community. Half of UConn's games don't even get game threads anymore and in the rare chance they do, it will have maybe 30 comments. Meanwhile a random unranked Cuse vs Wake Forest game will have over 300-400 comments. It just seems like non-UConn fans don't really watch UConn games anymore, whereas back in the BE it was the opposite.

Connecticut basketball has basically no profile these days. It is depressing but that's life in the mid-majors when you're not winning your few high profile opportunities. I'm hopeful that the influx of talent next year will put them back on the map.

Reaction Score
Connecticut basketball has basically no profile these days. It is depressing but that's life in the mid-majors when you're not winning your few high profile opportunities. I'm hopeful that the influx of talent next year will put them back on the map.

Wouldn't you consider Michigan, Ohio State and Texas high profile opportunities?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Wouldn't you consider Michigan, Ohio State and Texas high profile opportunities?
Not this year, in fact this is bball, so not most years. Unless those teams you listed are Top 15, they don't move the national needle much.

Reaction Score
Not this year, in fact this is bball, so not most years. Unless those teams you listed are Top 15, they don't move the national needle much.

Agreed, top-15 competition is where it's at.

Scheduling is difficult. You often cant predict what a team will be, would have thought Georgetown would have been a needle mover and while their name will sell tickets in reality they are a bottom tier Big East team that UCONN should beat at home in a battle of two teams trying to stay in the top 100 RPI.

Reaction Score
if you buy a ticket you can stand....if you say those who were sitting paid for a ticket so did the person who was standing

Not necessarily. I went to the Temple game last week with my nephew and brother. My brother, who's 60, has Parkinson's disease, and his medication works well some days, OK on others and not at all on others. On days when it doesn't work well, last last week, he can still walk short distances, but can't stand very long.

Last week we didn't have people standing in front of us (and if we had there were tons of empty seats in the XL to move to), but just because someone doesn't need the wheelchair seating area, doesn't mean they can stand the whole game.

By the way, he was able to stand at the start of each half until we scored, and for the last couple of minutes.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Had the same thing at MSG versus MD. He stood in front of a man who had both knees replaced and was partially blocking our view. If you are in the student section I get it. We tried talking to him, but he said no. Was quite the jerk. When 100 people want to kick you , then you should know it's not cool. I am wondering if it could be the same kid, very disrespectful. He was finally removed by security right before the end of the first half.
was he eating mac & cheese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01