Strange night in section 110. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Strange night in section 110.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Had the same thing at MSG versus MD. He stood in front of a man who had both knees replaced and was partially blocking our view. If you are in the student section I get it. We tried talking to him, but he said no. Was quite the jerk. When 100 people want to kick you , then you should know it's not cool. I am wondering if it could be the same kid, very disrespectful. He was finally removed by security right before the end of the first half.
Was it @BigErnMcCracken ?

Reaction Score
There was also an INT return for a TD.

We were only down 34-20 in the fourth quarter and driving in OU territory with a chance to make it really interesting. It could have been a lot worse than that.
Agree, but according to the media, it was much worse.

Reaction Score
uconnfan68 said:
Agree, but according to the media, it was much worse.

We totally lost the narrative on that whole weekend. We somehow moved from Storrs to Hapless, Connecticut. Can't sell tickets (when stadium had a lot of blue), blown out (when it was still a game in 4th), small time school that can't keep it's coach (instead of modern success story with overall growth of athletics in 20 years - and the football program in six years). We are still paying for it in public perception.

The game was much less frustrating than the aftermath.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In my section last night a dude dressed as Captain America and his 10 hammered friends came in. On their phones the entire 10 minutes they actually stayed. Unreal. You figure someone going to wear a costume might be into the game?

When you are trying to save the city, sometimes you just have to sacrifice the smaller pleasures in life.

Reaction Score
I don't condone ever being disrespectful to fellow fans, but as far as I'm concerned, unless you're sitting in front of somebody that's elderly, disabled, pregnant, or a kid you should be able to stand at your own discretion.

I actually specifically try to grab seats in the last row because I can't handle not being able to stand.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No, the only guy I disrespected was wearing a Footlocker uniform.

...and acting like an incompetent jack@ass. That's an important point not to be lost in the fireworks.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Sorry but that wouldn't have lasted too long - the old fart in me would have had to make a move on the young man, even if he were to suddenly show me he was a boxer. Hate people like that and kids need to be taught.
You must be Irish :D

Reaction Score
I don't condone ever being disrespectful to fellow fans, but as far as I'm concerned, unless you're sitting in front of somebody that's elderly, disabled, pregnant, or a kid you should be able to stand at your own discretion.

I actually specifically try to grab seats in the last row because I can't handle not being able to stand.

I agree with the last line, but if you aren't able to do that, then you have to read the game and the situation. Standing the entire game in the non student section just because is just being a jerk.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
BigErnMcCracken said:

And cookies, you disrespected the cookies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

My friends and I do the same if we decide we want to stand - we scope put the upper sections and head to the last rows
I went to most all the old BE tourneys at MSG and got into plenty of arguments with mostly Pitt and Cuse fans about standing until UConn scored first. I usually went with one guy who was 6" 7" and 300lbs so the arguments usually ended quickly
I'm torn on the standing all game issue = on one hand there are people who cannot stand for extended periods and have a right to see BUT everyone pays for a ticket and it is a sporting event that provokes rabid activities and it isn't your living room.

Reaction Score
Ha - "move to a different area" as if Gampel is general admission.

Reaction Score
if you buy a ticket you can stand....if you say those who were sitting paid for a ticket so did the person who was standing

Reaction Score
Our overall home game environment is just poor, from the lack of students at the XL, late arriving crowds to many non-weekend games, etc. It thoroughly amazes me how poor our crowd environment is vs. some of the teams I see on tv that have half (maybe not even that much) of our pedigree. I will concede that yes, the AAC schedule sucks, but we should be a place that helps will our team to victory on "off" nights or during tight games.

Reaction Score

i gotta disagree with this. i mean it would be nice to stand, but its completely inconsiderate of the people behind you. If I have to stand because you are standing, then someone behind me is going to have to stand, and you see how far back this can go right? Eventually a kid, elderly, or disabled person is going to get the crap end of the deal.

Its funny, any time this has happened to me i either say excuse me or give the mean mug and that about kills it after that. I have no problem with someone jumping up because a huge shot was made or a big block was made or whatever, thats just excitement. But just standing for the duration of the game? I didnt pay good money and travel a lot distance to see someone's back side (now if its a female, with a VERY nice backside, i may let it slide :) )

Reaction Score
Looks like whoever this was may have written to the Courant today: http://www.courant.com/opinion/letters/hc-ugc-article-husky-fans-stand-up-2016-01-11-story.html
Except these knuckleheads weren't even standing AND cheering they were JUST standing and barely paying attention to the game. They were standing to stand and provided nothing positive to the team or environment. Standing cheering when necessary is great. Standing to stand is for the student section.

Also...if those environments are better than ANY home games for UConn you can take any merit their opinions may have away.

Reaction Score
I can recall being at games at the XL as a student, in the student section of course, standing during almost the entire game, and having lazy ass old adult fans tell us to sit down because they couldn't see. IN THE STUDENT SECTION, get out grandpa, you don't belong, so stop telling the world to bend to your wishes.

This situation being the non student section is a lot different, gray area, I see both sides but I am nearly positive if I was there I'd side with the olds rather than the youngs. I hate it when people do something to do it, and that sounds like standing to make a commotion and have people start in with you so you can say "REAL FANS STAND UP!" like an internet hardo on here.

Reaction Score
if you buy a ticket you can stand....if you say those who were sitting paid for a ticket so did the person who was standing

If you can stand the whole game that means you are physically able to walk yourself over to the student section and stand the whole game with them. There's times when standing and cheering is acceptable. Standing the whole game is not fair to the overwhelming majority. Especially in the lower sections where season ticket donors who financially support the athletic department are the ones sitting there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now I've got a great image of you tearing into Footlocker guys and wife cringing and then trying to distract you whenever you walk by a Footlocker in a mall.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Our overall home game environment is just poor, from the lack of students at the XL, late arriving crowds to many non-weekend games, etc. It thoroughly amazes me how poor our crowd environment is vs. some of the teams I see on tv that have half (maybe not even that much) of our pedigree. I will concede that yes, the AAC schedule sucks, but we should be a place that helps will our team to victory on "off" nights or during tight games.
I'm usually pretty critical about these types of things but I think you are overblowing it, our atmosphere really isn't as bad as you are making it out to be.

Reaction Score
i gotta disagree with this. i mean it would be nice to stand, but its completely inconsiderate of the people behind you. If I have to stand because you are standing, then someone behind me is going to have to stand, and you see how far back this can go right? Eventually a kid, elderly, or disabled person is going to get the crap end of the deal.

Its funny, any time this has happened to me i either say excuse me or give the mean mug and that about kills it after that. I have no problem with someone jumping up because a huge shot was made or a big block was made or whatever, thats just excitement. But just standing for the duration of the game? I didnt pay good money and travel a lot distance to see someone's back side (now if its a female, with a VERY nice backside, i may let it slide :) )

If somebody asks me to sit, I will probably comply...and I never stand for the duration of the game unless I'm in the last row. But I don't see how asking somebody to stand is any more or less considerate than asking them to sit, it's just a matter of preference. As stated, when it comes to blocking the view of somebody who legitimately cannot stand for long stretches, the equation changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom