Straight line drives | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Straight line drives

Reaction Score
It’s one problem we haven’t figured out. It’s really the big reason we lost 8 instead of 4. It’s why our worst game of season was against a bad team( St. John’s). Last night St Mary’s started using it and was successful for a period of time. If we want to advance from here on in we must focus on stopping this one particular let down area. Arkansas has a team kind of like Miami that can penetrate from multiple positions. But they don’t have much interior game nor do they shoot it that well. But we can get pounded by 1-1 drives like a much better version of St. John’s here. Our biggest need will be keeping our man defense straight up and try to get them to shoot tough 2s
Drives me nuts (pun intended). Hate it. It’s like a layup line sometimes.

Reaction Score
We get beat off the dribble often because we don’t really help. With them not being a strong 3 point shooting team perhaps we will defend with more shell principles than usual. Doing this May open up 3 point opportunities

Reaction Score
Just thinking can't shoot it well, have multiple players who can get to the hole and want to get to the hole. Even St Marys had a stretch where we didn't stop their penetration until Clingan came in the game.

Zone, at least a mixture of 2-3, 2-1-2? I know, I know lol.

Reaction Score
Because we have very little experience playing a zone. It's a good different look, but things have gone very wrong if we're playing a 2-3.
I hope we were/are practicing the 2-3 every day this week so we can mix it in

Reaction Score
How hard would it be to implement packline vs pressure defense. Seems like it should be a fairly easy adjustment no?

Reaction Score
That's always the challenge isn't it? Finding the balance between adjustment and not giving up your identity or what you are good at.

It's like expecting a team to play a really high level 2-3 matchup zone, when 99% of defensive possessions over a season were aggressive man. Sometimes it can work, other times you are actually doing the opponent a favor by not playing what you are best at.

This is why good coaches make the big bucks, and we can all sit here throwing crap at the wall thinking we are John Wooden. :)
Giving up an identity? Where does that rank between winning and losing? They should be all in on doing whatever needs to be done.

Reaction Score
I didn’t like giving up those uncontested layups either, and it probably meant we were missing some rotation assignments, but look — our strategy is to run people off the 3 point line, both because you give up less points per shot normally allowing 2s rather than 3s, and because the drives at least take energy and we’re still playing a 9 man rotation and trying to wear folks down.

That’s not excusing how poor the rotations were for a few minutes, but we choose to give up driving opportunities as opposed to open 3s. The other teams are trying too — you can’t take away everything.
Bama is flat out bad at shooting threes, doesn't mean they won't make them but sending Sanogo out to the three point line and expecting he'll quickly recover to defend the paint doesn't seem like it will be a smart strategy against Arkansas.

Reaction Score
We played some 1-2-2 also at times I believe with AJ at the top which sped some teams up.
Maybe throw that in here or there

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom