Stories about booing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stories about booing

Reaction Score
The defensive frustration yesterday was that no one really got into Gray's face. He was allowed to do what he did.

Reaction Score
The booing I heard on the TV broadcast was when Houston was chest bumping after an uncontested dunk in the first half. They were up 20 and I assumed it was fans pissed at the celebration.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Why is it OK to boo the untalented football team but not OK to boo the talented - albeit depleted - basketball team? The consensus over there seemed to be that it was acceptable to boo so long as it was directed at the coaches and not the players. Does the same not apply here?

For the record, I can't envision a scenario where I would boo a college team at my current age, and I can't see myself ever booing Ollie since he's already done so much. The "we don't need those fans" and "stay home" comments are probably a bit overwrought though; in even attending a 3:00 game against Houston, they did more than most of us yesterday. And we were down 36-12 at the half. To Houston. I'm not jumping in on the holier than thou act.

I think in the case of the football team, the booing was meant for Diaco. The problem is, how can the players know that.

I don't believe in booing when the other team comes out of the dressing rooms.They are college kids, and as Seinfeld might say, if those kids were wearing our laundry, and vice versa, well, booing laundry is ridiculous.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The booing I heard on the TV broadcast was when Houston was chest bumping after an uncontested dunk in the first half. They were up 20 and I assumed it was fans pissed at the celebration.

I think the booing was about the fact there was yet another uncontested dunk (shot)

Reaction Score
Why is it OK to boo the untalented football team but not OK to boo the talented - albeit depleted - basketball team? The consensus over there seemed to be that it was acceptable to boo so long as it was directed at the coaches and not the players. Does the same not apply here?

For the record, I can't envision a scenario where I would boo a college team at my current age, and I can't see myself ever booing Ollie since he's already done so much. The "we don't need those fans" and "stay home" comments are probably a bit overwrought though; in even attending a 3:00 game against Houston, they did more than most of us yesterday. And we were down 36-12 at the half. To Houston. I'm not jumping in on the holier than thou act.

It's not holier than thou champs, you boo and you're an idiot is my point period. "Booing" is pretty childish at any time, but if you're going to do it maybe you can against the other team for dramatic celebrations to rub things in, referees for being horrible - maybe! But to boo you're own team, well it's petulant at best. Especially a UConn fan who has been given so much more than they ever thought. Problem is the "boo-ers" are spoiled and know little

No need for it, grow up. Not at all holier than thou just an opinion.

Reaction Score
I think in the case of the football team, the booing was meant for Diaco. The problem is, how can the players know that.

I don't believe in booing when the other team comes out of the dressing rooms.They are college kids, and as Seinfeld might say, if those kids were wearing our laundry, and vice versa, well, booing laundry is ridiculous.

Not only do I believe in booing the other team but I think it should be required.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Not only do I believe in booing the other team but I think it should be required.
The terms "sore loser" and "sore (gloating) winner" come to mind when I read that comment. I know I am old, and the protocols and policies of my youth are now discounted and discarded. Nevertheless, I still cling to those old ways, respect the opponent, act like you have been there before, and above all, do on to others as you would have them behave towards you. Then again, I'm old and confused.

Reaction Score
@boba @cohenzone I don't think there is anything that demonstrates more respect than booing your opponent. The old Reggie Jackson quote comes to mind, "they don't boo nobody's."

So I don't think it has anything to do with being cool, actually. If anything, it's the opposite of that - making an idiot of yourself is kind of what you are supposed to do at a sporting event if you a fan. There are lines, of course, but booing an opposing team falls well shy of that line, IMO. It's not personal, it's not even mean-spirited. I wasn't aware this was even a debate.

Reaction Score
I've been booed and cussed at Villanova (2), BCU (3), Syracuse and Georgetown games when attending our road games while honoring the don't sit 'til we score tradition. That one has faded since BEast days. Countless times at MSG for both neutral games and BET games. Dukies knew the tradition and let us have it. Used hand gesture to demonstrate their collective basketball IQ.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom