Stop with the 3s! | The Boneyard

Stop with the 3s!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm worried if we keep up the hot shooting the NCAA will retroactively remove the 3 point line to balance out the "increase" in scoring from the new foul rules. 4 close wins become loses and Giffey taken into custody. Worrying times folks.

Reaction Score
Our hot shooting will stop one game. That will be our test and then you can start worrying. Even then we have 5, and possibly 6 3 point gunners, hard to imagine one of them not making threes. Plus we have 3 'penetrators' to fall back on. All that we need is some stick um spray for our bigs when they penetrate and dish.

Only thing I'm worried about is our lack of production from our ............................................. well, you know.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They were saying the Huskies were shooting 45% as a team from 3 last night and I'm thinking......"wow with the way Omar and Boat are playing mason's this is our number? Holy batman!

Then you watch and Kromah and Deandre are making theirs ......... they can shoot the ball. I wonder just how good they could be with an inside-outside game? I mean from the post players which unfortunately will not scare our opponents on the offensvie end for now!

Reaction Score
SN, DD, NG all look like they can shoot 60% from 3 this year. Very nice looking jump shots. Omar, kromah and boat, I except to be a bit more spotty and streaky. Oh and TO with a miracle 3 here and there.

Reaction Score
NG and SN for sure, DD is in the next level with Omar and then LK and Boat..............

How about we just keep it as is? I'm good with that LOL

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
NG and SN for sure, DD is in the next level with Omar and then LK and Boat..............

How about we just keep it as is? I'm good with that LOL

Before last night, Omar was shooting an abysmal 29% from beyond the arc. Being that it's his strength, he's probably in the last group. Hopefully last night was the start of something.

Kromah on the other hand is shooting 58%. Granted it's a smaller sample size, but when he was allowed to gun it at GW (his freshman year he took nearly 4.5 threes a game) he was shooting 36%.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
if they're open take them... i dont mind omar taking them but he seems to force most of them and not look to pass instead

Reaction Score
Niels was leading the nation in 3 point field goal percentage at 68%. That will bring the average up

Reaction Score
As KO put it after the game. We want OC taking open 3's, not contested ones.

Reaction Score
I'm worried if we keep up the hot shooting the NCAA will retroactively remove the 3 point line to balance out the "increase" in scoring from the new foul rules. 4 close wins become loses and Giffey taken into custody. Worrying times folks.

I've had the same worry. I've always given a lot of credence to "live by the three, die by the three". Many games over the years, teams have come in and kicked our butts in the first half of a game via the 3, and I have uttered that phrase as it went on. I don't recall having to eat my words often.

The last thing I want to turn into is the Rick Pitino/Billy Donavan show, which ended up suffering the same death. I agree that we do have penetrators, but I assume that the reason several teams have zoned us, has been to cut off both the dribble penetration and our only inside option, DD. In fact, that is why in some games we've hit so many threes, hoisting them up against the zones we've seen.

Some team comes out with a more aggressive version, a match-up or whatever, or they just stop falling, like in the 1st or 2nd round of the tournament and we won't be happy campers.

I just think that a goal for the rest of the year is to develop inside options beyond what we are seeing now, or it is going to bite us in the butt. If there is nothing there to develop, then we aren't going all that far.

Do remember that Kemba carried us in '11, but we had a Big averaging 10 PPG/9 RPG and had a double-double in the Championship game, as well.

Reaction Score
I expect Boatright to improve a lot on his 3s. Just a slow start for him, he can do it.

Reaction Score
First off, if you look at what Bryan Lords wrote, he was being sarcastic and not making a point that UConn should stop shooting so many threes.

I don't recall what the percentage is, but if you shoot the three at that rate, you will score more points then if you shot a higher percentage of two point baskets. I believe they're shooting it well beyond that mark.

With that said, it's always better to have balance to your offense because the top defensive teams that are coached well can find ways to take one part of your game away. UConn is not going to be a post threat this season, but they can certainly diversify their offense with driving the ball into the paint, throwing it in the post and kicking it back out to get the defence from over extending their D on the perimeter, moving the ball around quickly and into soft spots within the zone to create high percentage midrange shots, and doing a variety of things to improve their overall diversity of their offense.

Bottom line, their strength is with the long ball and they should continue to run offense that creates as many open looks beyond the arc throughout the game, while also trying to drive it to the basket to draw fouls and get their opponent into foul trouble, as well as get to the line, assuming they can get back to shooting it well from the line like they did last season.

Reaction Score
Wow, a lot of you are really bad at grasping jokes.

Reaction Score
Haha Im not making anymore joke threads. Apparently if fishy isn't the OP then no one gets it ;)

I think people just read the tittle and immediately run to the reply button though. It's nice to have a team with so many deep threats for once, it's a bit more risky come tourney time but I can live with it. I really think DD has a great looking shot this year and I expect his % to improve the most. Omar has the worst looking shots so far but the jury will remain out until the end of the year atleast.

TLDR: stop taking 3s and feed olander.

Reaction Score
This is great what Ollie is doing, almost morphing team into a mid-major style based on personnel. Very strong perimeter players and very raw, limited interior skills. He runs sets that feature our strengths. It's a different style, but has proved it can get teams deep in tourney.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
They were saying the Huskies were shooting 45% as a team from 3 last night and I'm thinking......"wow with the way Omar and Boat are playing mason's this is our number? Holy batman!

Boat is shooting 45% on 3s this year believe it or not!

Reaction Score
Haha Im not making anymore joke threads. Apparently if fishy isn't the OP then no one gets it ;)

I think people just read the tittle and immediately run to the reply button though. It's nice to have a team with so many deep threats for once, it's a bit more risky come tourney time but I can live with it.

I wondered if you were being facetious and reread your post to try and figure it out. Even so, it would only make my first sentence moot, as the rest of the post were my concerns before you created this thread. Who doesn't love a team that can shoot 3's very well, and they should continue to use it as a major weapon, just not have it become the only one.

Reaction Score
Boat is shooting 45% on 3s this year believe it or not!

Wow that's crazy huh?:confused: 39% from 2 and 45.5% from 3 - yikes!

Also interesting that our 5th best rebounder at 2.8 only plays 7.5 minutes a game - Kentan Facey!

Reaction Score
This is great what Ollie is doing, almost morphing team into a mid-major style based on personnel. Very strong perimeter players and very raw, limited interior skills. He runs sets that feature our strengths. It's a different style, but has proved it can get teams deep in tourney.

It's not even a mid-major style. This is the kind of team Duke has run out there for decades, except for a raw, athletic center instead of a polished, slow-footed center who can shoot it from deep (think Olander with a lot more skill).

Very, very few teams in college basketball run their offense from the inside out. We were an exception, from 2003-2009 during the Okafor/Villanueva/Boone/Adrien/Thabeet era.

Of the last 15 or so champions, less than a handful were defined more by their interior game than their perimeter game -- us in 2004 (though we were fairly balanced), Florida in 2006 and 2007, maybe Kentucky in 2012 (Davis being such a transcendent player).

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Would really like to see Boatright attack the paint more. He's really struggling inside the 3 point line, under 40% on 2s this year. We can't be a jump shooting team; no matter how well we're shooting it from 3.

Reaction Score
Yes, great points. This team feels more perimeter oriented than any I can recall recently and where even the 4 plays primarily on the perimeter.

It's not even a mid-major style. This is the kind of team Duke has run out there for decades, except for a raw, athletic center instead of a polished, slow-footed center who can shoot it from deep (think Olander with a lot more skill).

Very, very few teams in college basketball run their offense from the inside out. We were an exception, from 2003-2009 during the Okafor/Villanueva/Boone/Adrien/Thabeet era.

Of the last 15 or so champions, less than a handful were defined more by their interior game than their perimeter game -- us in 2004 (though we were fairly balanced), Florida in 2006 and 2007, maybe Kentucky in 2012 (Davis being such a transcendent player).

Reaction Score

I think people just read the tittle and immediately run to the reply button though. It's nice to have a team with so many deep threats for once, it's a bit more risky come tourney time but I can live with it. I really think DD has a great looking shot this year and I expect his % to improve the most. Omar has the worst looking shots so far but the jury will remain out until the end of the year atleast.

TLDR: stop taking 3s and feed olander.

Best TLDR I've read in a long time. But what if they feed olander and hes at the 3 pt line!? He is shooting a lights out 100% from 3 this season!

Reaction Score
Best TLDR I've read in a long time. But what if they feed olander and hes at the 3 pt line!? He is shooting a lights out 100% from 3 this season!

Tyler is now 2 of 6 at 33%, let's not get crazy!! lol....one huge one though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#