Stop commenting on women’s appearances | The Boneyard

Stop commenting on women’s appearances

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s in the rules. We discuss basketball players that happen to be women, their skills and abilities. Their appearances are irrelevant to the games.

Women are damned tired of being judged by their appearance. We’re also tired of being told how we “should” look. Knock it off.

Reaction Score
A question, Nan. How come it's okay to list the weight of male basketball players, but not women? We know there are males who are overweight. Shouldn't it be the same for both.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A question, Nan. How come it's okay to list the weight of male basketball players, but not women? We know there are males who are overweight. Shouldn't it be the same for both.
I have no control over any site but the Boneyard. If you object to someone’s roster not listing weights, tell them about it, not me

Reaction Score
If I forget to tell my girlfriend she is beautiful..she reminds me. I don't think one person can know how all people feel unless they have spoken with all people.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Sharing and adding to this sentiment since it was deleted with other posts in the other thread...

I’m a minority here on the BY because I’m both a woman and young.

Based on some of the discussions, for most of you I’m young enough to be your daughter. For some of you I’m young enough to be your granddaughter.

On top of that, I work with high schoolers (and, therefore, high school girls) every day.

There is no reason to make digs about how someone looks when you’re talking about their performance because when you do that, you undermine the time and effort that went into that performance. Just because the person you’re talking about will never hear or see what you say doesn’t mean that it’s okay to say it.

Because women who are important to you will hear it.
Your daughter will hear it.
Your granddaughter will hear it.

And while they might not be making the same makeup and style choices as the women you’re disparaging, what you’re telling them is that the way they look means more than how they’re performing. It probably isn’t your intention, but that’s how it comes across.

This is especially detrimental for the young people in your life who are still trying to figure who they are in a world that constantly bombards them with what they should be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sharing and adding to this sentiment since it was deleted with other posts in the other thread...

I’m a minority here on the BY because I’m both a woman and young.

Based on some of the discussions, for most of you I’m young enough to be your daughter. For some of you I’m young enough to be your granddaughter.

On top of that, I work with high schoolers (and therefore, high school girls) every day.

There is no reason to make digs about how someone looks when you’re talking about their performance because when you do that, you undermine the time and effort that went into that performance. Just because the person you’re talking about will never hear or see what you say doesn’t mean that it’s okay to say it.

Because women who are important to you will hear it.
Your daughter will hear it.
Your granddaughter will hear it.

And while they might not be making the same makeup and style choices as the women you’re disparaging, what you’re telling them is that the way they look means more than how they’re performing. It probably isn’t your intention, but that’s how it comes across.

This is especially detrimental for the young people in your life who are still trying to figure who they are in a world that constantly bombards them with what they should be.
Well said @Argonaut ! I’m happy that there are people like you out there doing the great job of influencing our youngsters (men and women.). Sounds like you teach some of us old folks also!

Well done.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I'm a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to sports unis. I wore black soccer cleats because I couldn't imagine anything else, but if my only choice was other than black? I'd wear them. I love old school soccer and hoop unis where tucked in jerseys were the norm, but does it bother me that WNBA and USWNT jerseys are no longer tucked? No. I love that UConn prides itself on team "uniformity" (bad pun), and that the shorts aren't tucked under (no clue why some do this?), or shirts not tucked into sports bras (Nika gets away with this sometimes), but other teams that choose to do, it doesn't impact the play on the court. Nor does hairstyle or makeup.

Confessing here, it sometimes took me a good 5 mins at start of game for my soccer socks, tucked shirt, and shorts to be "just so", but hey, I'm a bit tactile I guess. My husband would LOL about it after the game. And when I played in goal? I adjusted the velcro on my gloves quite a bit in that first 5 mins. But hey, I wasn't as bad as Nomar at bat, and if you are a BRS fan, you'll get this reference.

My theory in life is "you do you" and as long as you are not hurting me or my family, it's all good.

ps - and similar to what @Argonaut said above, it's SO tiring to deal with what women look like, rather than what they are contributing and accomplishing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a woman who almost died from an eating disorder - Thank you Nan. Words matter. You may be making an innocent comment, but to some, it cuts deeper than you'll ever know.

When you want to comment on someone's appearance do us all a favor - Don't.

Reaction Score
Even the Women's Facebook group had a whole threat about how Baylor looked. It was disgusting if you ask me.
I like “threat”—I watched game. The Baylor women to me didn’t look any different from any other basketball players—or any other women for that matter, except perhaps healthier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom