Stones cast in glass houses | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stones cast in glass houses

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hahahaha.. oh it doesn't matter since nobody besides you has read that part anyway... obviously.

I see I was too late with my warning..... sunday sleepiness + plus summer thunderstorm

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I see I was too late with my warning.---. sunday sleepiness + plus summer thunderstorm

That's some good sleep right there!

Brings back good memories.. my grandmother has a screened in back porch.. I used to take naps out there during the summer thunderstorms as a kid. I was just fascinated with weather and how quickly it changes.. sorry, another tangent haha

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
You're posts are not clear. We're talking about the ESPN Headquarters in Bristol, CT, where broadcasts originate, and one specific instance of a secondary violation of calling that office to schedule a tour. At the time, at ESPN in Bristol, tours were available and free.

When you say "I'm explaining how things are at ESPN", its not clear on what you're talking about. Dou you mean tours of production trucks that go to the event site to beam the telecast back to Bristol, etc? This thread involves tours of the Bristol headquarters. Not sure where you're working, but apparently not Connecticut, and not at the time the secondary violation occurred.

The whole point of this thread was the irony of Tennessee fans complaining about the UCONN tour incident, but excusing their own violations.

I actually live and work in Bristol. Twice a month, outside of my normal job, I give campus tours to family and friends that have placed reservations through the formal process. Those tours are company approved.

Before ESPN had tour guides, there wasn't an official process to take a tour.. people simply called, asked nicely, and employees gave unofficial tours. Those tours weren't company approved. Even back then, employees weren't supposed to give tours but they still did it. In fact, it was frowned upon.. but it was seldomly enforced. What happens when you don't enforce a rule.... people keep breaking it. The rule has always been that tours aren't allowed for the general public.... BUT again, that rule wasn't always enforced. It took several minor security issues along with the campus becoming a tourist attraction for that rule to become enforced, and because of those issues the company created a formal process to take a tour.. and today tours are only limited to friends/family of employees, civic groups, and VIPs.

I'm not even talking about the Maya Moore incident.... that's neither here nor there. I don't know enough about that incident to speak on it. My original post was in response to somebody posting that ESPN tours are open to the public... they aren't now.. and even when they happened in the past they weren't supposed to happen then either. That's my entire point. As we know, there are always exceptions to rules..

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's some good sleep right there!

Brings back good memories.. my grandmother has a screened in back porch.. I used to take naps out there during the summer thunderstorms as a kid. I was just fascinated with weather and how quickly it changes.. sorry, another tangent haha

Well my great grandparents had a screened in back porch with a big swing ..... I remember many a summer days swinging and just listening to the sounds of the country.... sounds you cant really here in a city. Maybe I'll spend this tangent off into another thread :rolleyes:

Summer Thunderstorms are a weird thing.. and they are so random. ...... about 5pm... it was 96 degrees with a heat index near 110.... then the storm came through. At 6pm it was 71 degrees :eek: Im not even sure the north part of town even got hit with a drop of rain.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I actually live and work in Bristol. Twice a month, outside of my normal job, I give campus tours to family and friends that have placed reservations through the formal process. Those tours are company approved.

Before ESPN had tour guides, there wasn't an official process to take a tour.. people simply called, asked nicely, and employees gave unofficial tours. Those tours weren't company approved. Even back then, employees weren't supposed to give tours but they still did it. In fact, it was frowned upon.. but it was seldomly enforced. What happens when you don't enforce a rule.--- people keep breaking it. The rule has always been that tours aren't allowed for the general public.--- BUT again, that rule wasn't always enforced. It took several minor security issues along with the campus becoming a tourist attraction for that rule to become enforced, and because of those issues the company created a formal process to take a tour.. and today tours are only limited to friends/family of employees, civic groups, and VIPs.

I'm not even talking about the Maya Moore incident.--- that's neither here nor there. I don't know enough about that incident to speak on it. My original post was in response to somebody posting that ESPN tours are open to the public... they aren't now.. and even when they happened in the past they weren't supposed to happen then either. That's my entire point. As we know, there are always exceptions to rules..

You were replying to me and...speaking of reading carefully...my post said 'was available to the general public', not are.

By your own description in paragraph two of this quote, you admit that people called, asked nicely and got tours. Why then, in the name of all that's good and holy, would the public not think that tours were available?

And the Maya Moore incident is EXACTLY the here and there. It was the entire point of my post. I was describing the circumstances surrounding UConn's secondary NCAA infraction in which a member of the UConn staff called ESPN to arrange something that Maya Moore and/her mother could have gotten on their own without UConn's aid.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Well my great grandparents had a screened in back porch with a big swing ---.. I remember many a summer days swinging and just listening to the sounds of the country.--- sounds you cant really here in a city. Maybe I'll spend this tangent off into another thread :rolleyes:

Summer Thunderstorms are a weird thing.. and they are so random. . about 5pm... it was 96 degrees with a heat index near 110.--- then the storm came through. At 6pm it was 71 degrees :eek: Im not even sure the north part of town even got hit with a drop of rain.

They are very weird but it's the simple things like that I miss most about summers down South.. I could do without the unbearable heat from May until September and the bugs though..

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Oy vey - I don't see the conflict here. Our South Carolina fan / ESPN employee supplied some interesting information. It really doesn't matter "how" Maya would have gotten a tour, UConn committed a (completely nonsense, like most of the Tennessee violations, most RU ones that I know of, and whatever other ones UConn has committed over the years) secondary violation. There are millions of rules - and what we as fans think of them isn't really important. They exist, and the penalties are slaps on the wrist, basically. It was no smear on the UConn program to have had an oops happen, any more than that I can see most of the Tennessee violations listed as mounting up to anything.

Reaction Score
Right. You could add a whole bunch of other stuff without the recruit being influenced.

The classic personalized recruiting aid is giving her a team uniform with her name on it. Maybe hang it in a team locker.

But why stop there?

You could have the whole staff greet her in t-shirts with her baby picture on them. Or have her enter the arena through a fireworks display and then receive a Letter of Intent delivered by remote-controlled mini-blimp.

No need to be speechless. Those things happened, along with the more modest bowls of candy, spawning the personalized recruiting aids rule.

The recruit wasn't influenced. At least not in a positive way.
Wow, I really hope you are just kidding.... but if you aren't, recruiting is crazier than I thought.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unkind commentators will recall that the ban of "personalized recruiting aids," a/k/a the "Tennessee Rule," stemmed from the over-the-top preparations for Ann Strother's official visit to Knoxville. These included stocking her hotel room with bowls of her favorite candy.

This has always been my personal favorite Vol silliness. I vaguely recall something up in the sky too....

Reaction Score
Not suggesting anything... but ESPN doesn't offer tours to the general public. Anybody off the street just can't walk up and request a tour... you have to know an employee who then requests the tour for you, which is then given by a tour guide (or somebody with a corner office if it's a VIP tour).. "regular" employees are no longer even allowed to give tours. Security issues caused ESPN to really tighten it up.

Like literally thousands of other people, I have had a tour of ESPN (i'm from Bristol originally). It wasn't particularly hard to do in the 90s/early 00s. Nowadays...different story.

Dukie V and Digger were eating chips in a conference room. Lots of boring hallways. The sets were cool though :)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Wow, I really hope you are just kidding.--- but if you aren't, recruiting is crazier than I thought.
Actually, I know of most of those, back when they were ok (I didn't know they weren't any more, actually).

One of RU's minor violations was they set up a locker with the PSA's name on a jersey - this was ok at the time, but it coincided with a tour of the locker-room for fans, who of course were not supposed to see the display. PSA went elsewhere in any case. It would not have been ok to give the PSA the jersey, but at the time having it on display for her was perfectly ok.

Yeah, Tennessee dropped a scholarship offer from their interior blimp at some point. It was in an article about recruiting practices of the day - article included having the players on the team lay on the floor spelling out the recruits name (not sure of the school on that one). Coaches behaving with much silliness in the article, in addition to Pat, were actually Sherri Coale and Marsha Sharp, Rene Portland and probably some others. At least some of the coaches interviewed were complaining about what they had to do to "keep up with the Jones" if you will, which may have led to some of the current restrictions.

Reaction Score
Smoke...fire. I guess we now know how Tenn is still pulling in monster classes.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
One of my favorite recruiting stories was when the school put pink flamingos in the PSA's yard. IIRC, that also was Ann Strother and the coach was Andy Landers. I think the fake flamingos had some message attached to their bills or something like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom