Stones cast in glass houses | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stones cast in glass houses

Reaction Score
Mistakenly sent two text.--- Yeah right. And I am the King of France.--- knowing my luck I would be Louis XVI.---
If you were the 13th you'd have band non christians from Canada (pre 1520)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To summarize the Tennessee Lady Vols WBB program has committed the following violations:

1. Contact with a recruit during a prohibited period.
2. Providing prohibited remuneration to local coaches,
3. Using prohibited recruiting actions during a student visit.

My god, they really need to shut that viper pit down. They are a reckless rogue organization and just are bad for woman's basketball.

I'm glad that we have a coach that is pure class and does things the right way! The integrity of the game is more important to Geno that winning any one recruit. I wouldn't support a program that commits these kinds of violations. It really taints everything they done in the past.

["Home of the Eight-Time National Champions?" That's so cute! I remember when we only had eight. Good times.]

Reaction Score
To summarize the Tennessee Lady Vols WBB program has committed the following violations:

1. Contact with a recruit during a prohibited period.
2. Providing prohibited remuneration to local coaches,
3. Using prohibited recruiting actions during a student visit.

My god, they really need to shut that viper pit down. They are a reckless rogue organization and just are bad for woman's basketball.

I'm glad that we have a coach that is pure class and does things the right way!
The integrity of the game is more important to Geno that winning any one recruit. I wouldn't support a program that commits these kinds of violations. It really taints everything they done in the past.

["Home of the Eight-Time National Champions?" That's so cute! I remember when we only had eight. Good times.]

I'm calling you out for stealing a post and not crediting the source. I am positive I read this same comment around 2006/2007 on another team's homer board and then repeated on that board several times since then. :rolleyes:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The ESPN tour for Maya and her mom was arranged by former DBO Jack Eisenmann. As I recall, Jack overheard Maya and her mom talking about a tour of ESPN and then offered to make a call to someone he knew at ESPN. I think there was a time when ESPN tours were available to the public but I think that practice ended before Maya's tour. Someone at ESPN saw Maya and her mom and notified Tennessee and the rest is history. UConn eventually self-reported the tour as a secondary violation but we heard from Vol fans that self-reporting a violation after being turned in doesn't count.

So, here we are again with Tennessee self-reporting yet another secondary violation after being turned in by another school. I do wonder which school told the NCAA about the bed display. During the weekend in question Tennessee hosted Maya Dodson, Evina Westbrook and Dana Evans and perhaps another recruit or two. Maryland (Westbrook) or Louisville (Evans) perhaps? Those are easy targets for Vol fans.

Reaction Score
You know speed dial---ju
Mistakenly sent two text.--- Yeah right. And I am the King of France.--- knowing my luck I would be Louis XVI.---
Speed dial jumps right out there and you never know when you may be speaking to a potential recruit or Dad. Happens 10 times a day every day
But only to Tenn coaches.

If Tn is serious about NCAA Violations reporting--they should remove them self from post season play--and take a year of two cut in recruiting. It's the XXXXX thing to do. (fill in the blank)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This self-reporting by Tennessee is LOL funny, considering their abysmal track record as an athletic dept. over the past 30 years or more. They were caught red handed with all kinds of academic fraud going on in the 1990's, but hey, they'd just won a NC in football, so that all got conveniently swept under the rug by the NCAA so as not to tarnish the image of one of their championship winning teams. Oh, and let's not forget about the way they treated female employees in the athletic dept., highlighted by the infamous Peyton Manning 'teabagging' incident. They've left a trail of manure behind them big enough to fertilize the Sahara Desert, and they're acting like they vigilantly report secondary violations, which somehow makes them squeaky clean now???

Excuse me while I throw up.

Reaction Score
Right. You could add a whole bunch of other stuff without the recruit being influenced.

The classic personalized recruiting aid is giving her a team uniform with her name on it. Maybe hang it in a team locker.

But why stop there?

You could have the whole staff greet her in t-shirts with her baby picture on them. Or have her enter the arena through a fireworks display and then receive a Letter of Intent delivered by remote-controlled mini-blimp.

No need to be speechless. Those things happened, along with the more modest bowls of candy, spawning the personalized recruiting aids rule.

The recruit wasn't influenced. At least not in a positive way.

Why stop there? Reasonableness--that which is reasonable and generally acceptable within the industry being controlled.
The way to handle this is for every College recruiting a player --present that player all that you listed above (and not list --those that Pat did) --then it becomes "common" and not excessive. No advantage gained by anyone--except the college not doing it??
At one time common sense. But Common sense is no longer common.

Reaction Score
Somewhat off-topic -- but seriously?, a tennis coach is violating NCAA rules by being present & watching live matches of upcoming opponents (which would totally make sense from a scouting standpoint)? Someone has to explain to me the "slippery slope" this rule is meant to forestall.

That rule was put in because most coaches wanted it. Otherwise there is an advantage for teams that have the money to fly coaches on scouting trips. Also most coaches don't want an arms race of having to go out on constant scouting trips to keep up with their competitors.

Reaction Score
Not suggesting anything... but ESPN doesn't offer tours to the general public. Anybody off the street just can't walk up and request a tour... you have to know an employee who then requests the tour for you, which is then given by a tour guide (or somebody with a corner office if it's a VIP tour).. "regular" employees are no longer even allowed to give tours. Security issues caused ESPN to really tighten it up.

In 2006, when Moore had the tour, it was very easy to tour ESPN. Two of my kids did it - without knowing anyone at ESPN.

Reaction Score
Maybe the call was made for them, or the phone was dialed for them, something like that. It certainly wasn't anything serious since I don't think there was any penalty. Perhaps you can provide the exact details.

Yes, the call was made for them - which was a secondary violation. No penalty or ramifications.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
In 2006, when Moore had the tour, it was very easy to tour ESPN. Two of my kids did it - without knowing anyone at ESPN.

Plenty of people did. ESPN wasn't a closed campus yet.. the entire campus wasn't fenced and you could essentially walk around the campus with no repercussions if you weren't caught.

That said, tours still weren't public and trespassing was rampant... fast forward to 2017, there's now a fence, an unusual amount of security parameters (every building requires employee badge swipe access from the outside) and tours are scheduled specifically for family and friends.

And unlike your children, I highly doubt Maya Moore was walking around campus without some form of invitation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Plenty of people did. ESPN wasn't a closed campus yet.. there were no fences and you could essentially walk around the campus with no repercussions if you weren't caught.

That said, tours still weren't public and trespassing was rampant... fast forward to 2017, there's now a fence, an unusual amount of security parameters (every building requires employee badge swipe access from the outside) and tours are scheduled specifically for family and friends.

And unlike your children, I highly doubt Maya Moore was walking around campus without some form of invitation.

I didn't say my kids went without invitation. One of their coaches called and found it very simple to arrange a tour. Just as would have happened with Moore had her Mom called.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I didn't say my kids went without invitation. One of their coaches called and found it very simple to arrange a tour. Just as would have happened with Moore had her Mom called.

There are always loopholes and somebody obviously did that coach a favor if he didn't know anybody but my original point remains... ESPN tours are not open to the general public and they never were. I know this because I work there and I am a tour guide outside of my normal role. I give tours twice a month.

Just because something isn't supposed to happen doesn't mean it won't.

CL82

Reaction Score
Plenty of people did. ESPN wasn't a closed campus yet.. the entire campus wasn't fenced and you could essentially walk around the campus with no repercussions if you weren't caught.

I love our South Carolina friend explaining to us how things worked here in Connecticut. It is just adorable!! Wrong, but adorable.

ESPN used have public tours. The secondary violation was for making a call to publicly available tour because the athletic department didn't make calls routinely for non-athletes. NCAA said, essentially, 'meh, don't do it again.'

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I love our South Carolina friend explaining to us how things worked here in Connecticut. It is just adorable!! Wrong, but adorable.

ESPN used have public tours. The secondary violation was for making a call to publicly available tour because the athletic department didn't make calls routinely for non-athletes. NCAA said, essentially, 'meh, don't do it again.'

I'm not trying to explain how things work here in CT. I couldn't possibly care less about CT.

I'm explaining how things are at ESPN.. I'm qualified for that at least... I mean, it's only my employer and I'm an actual tour guide there.. but hey, I'm a transplant... I know nothing.

So sure. Whatever you say.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to explain how things work here in CT. I couldn't possibly care less about CT.

I'm explaining how things are at ESPN.. I'm qualified for that at least... I mean, it's only my employer and I'm an actual tour guide there.. but hey, I'm a transplant... I know nothing.

So you don't about how ESPN does things in Connecticut? Where do you think their main campus is Bristol, England?

So you are a tour guide but ESPN doesn't give tours? Must be a slow day.

So you are saying ESPN didn't give tours to, oh I don't know, say, Cub Scouts?

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
images

So can I get an ESPN tour or Nah?

Reaction Score
Instead of knocking the NCAA for rules that seem minor, shouldn't people be directing their issues with the member institutions that annually meet to discuss new rules to implement, old rules to get rid of, and so forth? The rules that the NCAA enforce often are a result of coaches submitting proposals that their peers vote on and pass. So if Tennessee and their peers agreed not to do certain things when it came to wooing recruits then you can't at the same time minimize the rule and think its a joke. Maybe college coaches don't trust their peers to recruit ethically so instead of an overarching principals based regulations you have more strict minute rules based regulations. If the coaches think its burdensome, I am sure this will come up in discussions in the offseason when discussing items to vote on.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
images

So can I get an ESPN tour or Nah?
Why I am so tempted to say "Tour THIS!"? The incident happened, it was wrong, it was a minor infraction, it happened 9-10 years ago, let it go.
As far as Tenn self reporting, lots of schools have to do this when issues occur-inadvertent, or semi-intensionable by a coach or booster but caught by someone else. Are some of the rules silly or excessive? Probably, however as we periodically need to be reminded, some schools and boosters would go over the top, sparing no expense and the point is supposed to be about the institution and education. And please limit the snark as most schools do actually follow the rules.

Reaction Score

You're posts are not clear. We're talking about the ESPN Headquarters in Bristol, CT, where broadcasts originate, and one specific instance of a secondary violation of calling that office to schedule a tour. At the time, at ESPN in Bristol, tours were available and free.

When you say "I'm explaining how things are at ESPN", its not clear on what you're talking about. Dou you mean tours of production trucks that go to the event site to beam the telecast back to Bristol, etc? This thread involves tours of the Bristol headquarters. Not sure where you're working, but apparently not Connecticut, and not at the time the secondary violation occurred.

The whole point of this thread was the irony of Tennessee fans complaining about the UCONN tour incident, but excusing their own violations.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There are always loopholes and somebody obviously did that coach a favor if he didn't know anybody but my original point remains... ESPN tours are not open to the general public and they never were. I know this because I work there and I am a tour guide outside of my normal role. I give tours twice a month.

Just because something isn't supposed to happen doesn't mean it won't.

whoa there.jpg

I dont think this is the right forum to mention that...... Im just saying :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :p:p:p:p :cool::cool::cool: You'd better take cover.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom