Stoner had it correct | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stoner had it correct

Reaction Score
I'll never understand people who blame the coach for not firing up the team. If you're playing and you can't get excited and ready to play on your own then don't play. Ollie isn't the one play soft defense letting their guy just score at will or not boxing out
Of course it's on the coach, it's 3+ years of our teams looking completely ill prepared to start a game and coming out of the halftime break.

Reaction Score
A lot of people pounded their chest after the Oregon win. Calling out other posters like we had just made the final four. It was obvious to the more observant posters that this team was still majorly flawed.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Of course it's on the coach, it's 3+ years of our teams looking completely ill prepared to start a game and coming out of the halftime break.
But we are currently 49th in the nation in 3pt FG% so....

Reaction Score
Oregon lost again today. Dave Benedict, do the right thing...

Reaction Score
They’ll retain KO for another year or so because of the insane buyout at which point the job will be much, much less prestigious/desirable.

Reaction Score
19 unanswered points by Arkansas? I just dont get the continuous pictures of KO on the bench looking confused.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand people who blame the coach for not firing up the team. If you're playing and you can't get excited and ready to play on your own then don't play. Ollie isn't the one play soft defense letting their guy just score at will or not boxing out

The best coaches know how to push the right buttons, especially with young guys (Carlton, Al, Vital, etc.).

The whole applauding poor play and playing cheerleader on the sideline when things are going downhill fast doesn't appear to help matters. Feel it does far more damage than keep spirits up. That's just Ollie's personality and choice as a player's coach I guess.

I'm not telling Ollie to be something he isn't and act more like Calhoun, but I miss nothing more than Calhoun screaming for a TO with steam coming out of his ears and either marching directly to the empty center court looking like he's going to kill someone/have a stroke, or marching right up to a player and giving them the business after a mental lapse (especially on national television). Tough love is a dying art.

In my opinion this game Ollie did a horrible job with timeouts and substitution patterns. I don't understand why he doesn't give Polley more minutes, imo he was playing solid on ball defense and has a very high BB IQ for a frosh.

Gonna be fun day for the players when they go over the tape on this one.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
How can it be reactionary when we've been watching the same script play out year after year. At least part of you has to acknowledge that this may not get better.
/s

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
he didn't say anything about X's and O's he said fire up the team
Maybe the team is doing too much firing up in Oregon. Time for random drug tests for all players....and coaches. That's the only explanation for the last couple of days.... ;) (or not....)

Reaction Score
Maybe they all went to the Cannibis store and were high for the game. That explains it all

Reaction Score
Lat me ask this, if you have a supposedly guard oriented team and your bigs are pretty much zero, is it good to have the guards be lousy 3 point shooters? Even if they are good defenders and drive for baskets, that’s a big piece to be missing. We can’t compete physically or skill wise down low, and we don’t shoot well so we can compete with lesser teams, but run up against quality and look what happens. We’ve seen this against Providence, MSU, and now Arkansas. And /i think we’re going to be seeing it again and again this year against the better teams. All that missing on big recruits has consequences.

C

Chief00

Have to agree - this mess starts in Calhoun's lap...
So the absence of all good things about Calhoun is his fault? Maybe he shouldn’t have addressed his health issues? Come on!

Reaction Score
But what one earth are they running on offense? Thats all on Ollie
Actually we were getting decent shots but couldn't make any. Possession after possession. Not sure how changing the offense will suddenly make these players better shooters.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Actually we were getting decent shots but couldn't make any. Possession after possession. Not sure how changing the offense will suddenly make these players better shooters.

I think that they could get better open looks by passing the ball more then ISO shots. It would increase the percentage of better shots and probability of hitting them.

Reaction Score
Well, in theory, players become better shooters by getting close to the basket. We made enough shots in the Oregon game to win. But most were unassisted. When players are hot, it does not matter if it is assisted or not. Just get the ball to the hot hand. But when players are cold, that philosophy does not work. Move the ball and have the players make good cuts, set good picks and get open closer to the basket, Get the ball to those people. Make the other team chase you around when defending us and get them out of position. These are the goals of a good offense. It does not look like that is what we are trying to do.

Reaction Score
The guards are good on the ball defenders but they don't seem to want to contest jumpshots. Too many times they watch guys elevate for jumpers as they stand there hands by their sides.
They did a better job contesting jump shots and playing inspired D against Oregon and MSU for much of the game. Have no clue what happened against Arkansas. They just quit. Maybe it was the frustration of not making shot after shot or maybe it was something else.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom