Stokes and Dolson headline U.S. women's select team | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stokes and Dolson headline U.S. women's select team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Congrats to Kiah and Stef. I'm also a bit surprised Tiff Hayes was not asked to be part of it, but more shocked that Nneka was left off the team. Only thing I can think of is that she declined. Also, what about Tolliver? Vandersloot? McBride? Did you know Hayes is #11 in the league in scoring this year? And McBride is in the top 10.

I get Copper. She was very impressive for a very unimpressive Rutgers team (what else is new!?). Not sure how Dolson gets selected, but Ogwumike is kept off.

Yes, very odd. Tolliver has been amazing this year, and probably the key part that pulls together that fantastic front line of the LA Sparks. Vandersloot isn't selected? She's been amazing. Nneka off? She's amazing. And why not include the can't-miss Olympian A'ja Wilson? There's no rule against bringing in college players. Look at Breanna. Wilson is the best player in the college game, and, if she were permitted to go pro, would be a sure-fire top-ten scorer in the league. And Diggins- yes, her absence is odd.

Perhaps the Olympic committee that selects all of these kids should show up for a presser and explain their choices. Particularly after the U-17 debacle this summer, shouldn't the powers that be explain what they're doing and why? Can't see why clarity is something to be feared.

Reaction Score
And, yes, why isn't Tiffany Hayes in there? She has certainly earned serious consideration, and she's hardly past consideration for 2020 in terms of her age. She would probably be at her prime at that point.

More odd decisions regarding the Olympics. Steph, but no Tiff? I can't figure it out.

Reaction Score
Maybe Parker, Nneka, Diggins, etc are still up for official alternate spots? This select team seems like a great way to show loyalty to USAB but it doesn't say they are first in line as alternates in case of injury to a current roster player.

Reaction Score
And, yes, why isn't Tiffany Hayes in there? She has certainly earned serious consideration, and she's hardly past consideration for 2020 in terms of her age. She would probably be at her prime at that point.

More odd decisions regarding the Olympics. Steph, but no Tiff? I can't figure it out.

Tiffany Hayes no longer plays with USA Basketball. She plays for Azerbaijan. And no I'm not kidding.

Hayes, Henry to miss Dream's next 5 games

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't think so. More a function of us having a very very boring WBB news summer. This is a select team to scrimmage USA team before the Olympics and we are putting waAAAAAAY too much significance on this especially when we don't know who was asked and might have declined.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
McBride is out for the season injured, Vandersloot has been struggling with injuries this year and would probably have declined. I think a lot of players are looking forward to a month break from competition - and their teams are probably very happy not to have them involved. Would not be surprised if the Sparks team members are 'showing solidarity' and focusing on fitness for the second half of the WNBA season.

Yup, can't imagine Sloot would have accepted if offered. She needs all the rest possible to get healthy. Same thing with Diggins. I could easily imagine her declining so as to get some rest for a knee that probably isn't 100% yet.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
This article is from 2015.

Doesn't matter. You have to wait three years.

Here's the rule:

A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

Reaction Score
Doesn't matter. You have to wait three years.

Here's the rule:

A competitor who has represented one country in the Olympic Games, in continental or regional games or in world or regional championships recognised by the relevant IF, and who has changed his nationality or acquired a new nationality, may participate in the Olympic Games to represent his new country provided that at least three years have passed since the competitor last represented his former country. This period may be reduced or even cancelled, with the agreement of the NOCs and IF concerned, by the IOC Executive Board, which takes into account the circumstances of each case.

Who knew??!! Thanks

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wally - thanks for finding that - is this a change, I thought it used to be a lifetime choice? Once you had represented a country in worlds or olympics you were not allowed to switch - maybe put in to deal with all the split countries?

I don't think of Sims as a USA PG - she and Diggins for that matter fill more of the DT type of combo guard role - they are #2 (3.0) and #5 (2.7) in turnovers per game (DT is at #4) while they're well down in assists per game at 3.7 (14th) and 3.3 per game. Their strength has always been in their scoring ability. Players like Sloot, January, Whalen, and Jefferson are all under 2.0 TOs per game, Bird who is at 2.6 TOs per game leads the league in assists at 5.8 so still well above a 2.0 ratio.

And I am not saying they couldn't adapt, just that is not the game they are used to playing professionally nor really in college. They have always been a primary scoring option on their teams and continue to be. That is not an easy transition to make as a couple of people connected with USA basketball have talked about - how do you still be an effective scorer when you are the fifth option on offense for your team with the ball in your hands most of the time.

(Jewell Loyd is similar to Diggins and Sims and you see her (and the team) struggle in the role of PG when Sue is off the court.)

I do find the lack of PGs 'interesting' - they had lots of options that really do play a more USA type role professionally - January is having a really good year, and while Moriah is playing more minutes than Mitchell or Powers, she is shooting significantly higher percentages, matching them in scoring and rebounding and doubling them in assists and A/TO ratio while playing more of her minutes against starters. (And playing on a dreadful team!) Both Mitchell and Powers sort of exploded onto the scene, and for rookies they are playing very well, but their production has evened out a bit - perhaps the result of teams having better scouting than in the first couple of weeks.

I am pretty sure that Vandersloot would have begged off this team because of the minor injuries she has struggled with this year - Chicago really needs her healthy if they are to make any noise.

Coco - agree that we over-analyze what is in effect the practice team - we sure don't worry this much about the male practice players at Uconn! :eek::cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bird who is at 2.6 TOs per game leads the league in assists at 5.8 so still well above a 2.0 ratio.
That's good, at least she doesn't have to worry about getting a spanking. ;)

Reaction Score
I don't think so. More a function of us having a very very boring WBB news summer. This is a select team to scrimmage USA team before the Olympics and we are putting waAAAAAAY too much significance on this especially when we don't know who was asked and might have declined.

But that's the problem. There's too little transparency in this process. We're not talking about nuclear weapons policy. It's basketball. The Olympic committee should tell us so that we know. Won't hurt anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom